Labonville chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldDeadOne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had been considering getting a pair of husky chaps at the local lowes but I decided to order the regular labonville chaps with maybe getting the competition ones later on,reading all the threads on chaps here really helped me in making my decision on which one to buy,which I hope to be getting either Weds or Thurs. :clap:

I have the Labonville competition chaps. They are heavy duty for sure, like wearing a sleeping bag on your legs. I wear them for racing only, way too hot for the woods.

Even the 'regular' full wrap Labonv. chaps are hot in anything over 50 F. We "homeowners" ( :censored: ) try to not cut in the summer. Recent blowdowns had us cutting with just the Hanes under chaps. Still too warm with wet undies .:dizzy:

I think you did good buying The Labonville Chaps, I have the regular full wrap chaps from them, and I am very pleased with the quality. Logbutcher is right about it being too hot now to wear them, wait till it gets cooler if you can.

Recent blowdowns had us cutting with just the Hanes under chaps. Still too warm with wet undies .:dizzy:
TMI ! TMI !:dizzy:

no, not me but it sure does justify the cost of a pair of chaps :D

100_0051.jpg

Ocassional use cutter since the 70's

So far I have been lucky with the safety device sitting on top of shoulders,
good judgement is the best safety device available, even cutting in jeans.
We survived cutting firewood when we thought a 1/5 of whiskey was as
important as right fuel mix in December. Don't do as we have done, pay
attention to the safety police, you may not bleed as much.

Not having seen a set of Labonville chaps first hand what makes people say they are better than other brands?
I currently have a set of Husky Pro 9 layer chaps which are excellent and have 2 pairs of the Husky 1000 denier chaps on their way from Baileys. My current chaps don't hold up well with sharp sticks :(
I gather all chaps have to make the same safety standards or are there different certification levels?

Not having seen a set of Labonville chaps first hand what makes people say they are better than other brands?
I currently have a set of Husky Pro 9 layer chaps which are excellent and have 2 pairs of the Husky 1000 denier chaps on their way from Baileys. My current chaps don't hold up well with sharp sticks :(
I gather all chaps have to make the same safety standards or are there different certification levels?

The safety standard in N. America is "UL" ==Underwriter Laboratories, on every pair. The stick problem that we also have in thick spruce/fir brush ("bush" in Kiwi/Aussie speak) are sharp short stubs on the trunks that can pierce the outer shell of chaps. Chaps are made to the safety standard to clog and stop a chain by Kevlar lines inside the chaps, not stop punctures ( or shells). Look for a strong outside cloth such as Cordura that is used for combat and climbing gear such as backpacks, harnesses, etc... here.
The Labonville chaps, I think, use Cordura on the outside of their chaps

about 20-25 years ago when my dad was still loggin, he had a bad pinch as the tree started to go over. he said he was hittin the throttle and pullin on the saw as to not damage the saw but alos get it out quick. well it kicked back and tore his left leg up good. almost the exact same location as in the pic above, same leg too. went right to the bone it did, 100+ stitches and i believe around 36 staples in the muscle.

one of theese days soon i'm gonna look into PPE, when the $$ is right.

about 20-25 years ago when my dad was still loggin, he had a bad pinch as the tree started to go over. he said he was hittin the throttle and pullin on the saw as to not damage the saw but alos get it out quick. well it kicked back and tore his left leg up good. almost the exact same location as in the pic above, same leg too. went right to the bone it did, 100+ stitches and i believe around 36 staples in the muscle.

one of theese days soon i'm gonna look into PPE, when the $$ is right.[/QUOTE]

"........and I'll love you in the morning dear......":monkey:
What is it about PPE that makes too many NOT see the point of value vs cost ?
Or, "...I don need no stinkin chain brake..." "..ain't no boorocrat safety nazi gonna tel ME what to do..."
All those who thiMk they can control kickback with their big pro brawny muscles, please raise your hands. :confused:

Labonville chaps seem to have the best construction in the business. Worth every penny

Yep!...Our whole crew has 'em...they are great!

OK...There' hot, all chaps are hot...what ya gonna do?

The nylon holds up to all kinds of abuse, and resists tears and punctures.
I did burn a big hole with the muffler of an 880 though...:cry:

chaps

I need to get some, may whisper in local friends wives ear at the right time,
I e-mailed an older aunt in North Georgia, a long retired ER nurse,
those GA gals have husbands, sons, nephews or boyfriends.
Like many of you members said, one trip to the ER would be much
more expensive than saw chaps.

I just retired a set of Bailey's chaps and went to Labonville full wrap. I am extremely impressed with the quality of construction and going from regular nylon to the cordura cover is very nice.

Labonville had a sale this summer so not sure when the price is going to be right to protect yourself. I guess I don't quite understand.

Hey guys. Good thread. I just bought myself a pair of the husqvarna pro forest logger wrap chaps with the 1,000 denier. I was wandering if these chaps are as good as the lebanonville chaps.

I just retired a set of Bailey's chaps and went to Labonville full wrap. I am extremely impressed with the quality of construction and going from regular nylon to the cordura cover is very nice.

Labonville had a sale this summer so not sure when the price is going to be right to protect yourself. I guess I don't quite understand.

Wendell, I guess wearing a $80 pair of chaps beats getting a bill for a couple thousand or even maybe a funeral,yea I can't understand why some don't want any protection at all,I figure every little bit helps.

Back