land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rburg,

yeah it's not bad now offroad,it's very good in fact,i have yet to get caught out with it,allthough i almost did go back the field too far and itwas slow in coming back out of it,but i go out,the further back the field i go the softer things seem to get so thank god i am going ok so far :)

gkiesel,

thanks forthe input yes the wood i sell is very small,in ireland right now there seems to be a high demand for small firewood because a lot of people are fitting small wood burning stoves here,maybe in the states you lads have bigger open fires so yeah then the bigger firewood is much better.the small firewood has advantages such as easier to split with an axe,and easier to handle.it's easier for folks like us anyway who do a lot of manual work.

and yes i have the rest of my life if i want with no panic to clear all this place,the owner of the land is in no hurry,he is a farmer and the land is just sitting this way for 50 years+ now,so he will be delighted to see the back of the trees,you would be surprised how fast you can clear a place at this rate,the trees start to dissappear fast.i won't be working here everyday at all so this could be a long job,it's mainly to get firewood for my own use and to sell when i need it and the farmer is glad for the land to be cleared,he has no time for this work and the land isn't exactly flat,well not all of it anyway.

i just got a new addition to my chainsaw family,see my new thread here i will update there. :msp_wink:

i will update here lon this thread later when i get some more work done.

Last edited:
Day-5

DAY 5 20-01-2012

ok so had a great day today here,felled some large ASH and blackthorn/whitethorn trees.the day consisted of just felling and stacking the cut wood today,we didn't get to get a load filled and home as it turned quite wet out in the day.

i may have to invest in a winch for my nissan to pull up some of the larger trees down further in the hill.

my latest new addition saw to the family performed very well (husqvarna 440xtorq) i found it very easy to manage nice and light with loads of power and economy pretty impressive.i cut at one point 15" ash with no problem at all.

husqvarna 440xtorq

day5001.jpg

day5002.jpg

day5004.jpg

day5005.jpg

day5006.jpg

day5007.jpg

husqvarna 365special felling large blackthorn tree

day5014.jpg

i need to wear the big mask cause i use premium pump petrol and unfortunatly not ASPEN.

day5010.jpg

day5012.jpg

day5013.jpg

ok so stay tuned here for a video of both saws in action today cutting some pretty large ASH and
whitethorn/blackthorn trees

I've been meaning to ask what's with the mask?

i need to wear this cause my chest gets wheezy from the dust and smell of the saw!
it's better for the health long term,this is a good quality mask and it's not anoying to wear,it's rubber and fully sealed.
prevent many lung diseases maybe i hope,it's not worth getting bad health from chainsaw fumes,just my
2bobbs worth

The 440 will make cutting the smaller stuff much easier. With the 2 saws you are cutting with you should be able to handle just about any size wood you will find.

yes,the 440 sure makes things easier,these two saws as you say should be more than man enough now for the job here.

to be honest the 365 was starting to kill me and wear me out with some of the smaller stuff,it is just good for the big fellas,the stumps at the bottom it is great,some of this wood is very hard!!!

i would like to get some tree experts advice on the type of these trees,i assume they are as i mentioned,i assume they are mountain ASH,whitethorn,blackthorn and some willow maybe.

i am in the process of doing a video of the two saws in action today and the 440's maiden voyage ;)

exactly or your cutting giant vines of poison ivy. I couldn't stand working in a mask.

hahaha :laugh:

yeah i know lads,i am the same hate wearing the thing but believe me you get used to it and it pays off,i don't feel as tired anymore sinse i started using the mask,i used feel sort of sick sometimes from the smell of the saw,if i used the aspen fuel i would have no mask like this then to be honest,maybe just a smaller one.

I am surprised you dont feel as tired by wearing the mask. Usually it is just the opposite. Face mask create somewhat of a resistance while breathing making it some what harder to breathe, which will tire you a little faster. I guess if you kinda get to feeling sick without the mask, then maybe that is why you are not as tired. Good work though.

joshua,you are very right with that statment,surprisingly though this mask isn't bad,i can breathe handy enough with it,to be honest it's a complete pain in the backside the size and having to wear it,but after few minutes been busy you forget it.

the dust and fumes always make me sick,the petrol here in ireland is very smelly anyway,don't know how it's in the states,may not be as bad,i know aspen is not bad at all but just more expensive and an inconvienience to get if you run low.;)

My allergies gives me fits. If I was smart I would wear a mask also. I'm just to dang stubborn. By the way, Ireland is on my bucket list.

good stuff,you should pay a visit sometime,call for a cup of TEA if you do! ;)

yeah to be honest the mask is just a dose but if it does me good i will put up with it,i also don't wear the chainsaw oregon trousers i have cause it's too damn hot!!! it's fine in feeezing temps but if i wore it today all i would have done was sat down lol :laugh:

:hmm3grin2orange:

it's good that i am wearing "a" pance in the videos isn't it!!! :laugh:

i have an oregon trousers but seriously it gets too hot to work in lol:yoyo:

NISSAN PATROL 4X4 loading up some wood!

i hear somebody complimenting my nissan here along the way in this thread,i forget who but for those intrested
here she is in action lugging out a tralier out of this WET muddy land today,got another nice load,of yesterdays cut!!

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zt7045TGk

updates coming shortly of today..

Last edited:
Did I read that your Nissan is a diesel? It must put a lot of torque to the ground...that and good tires it didn't look like it spun a bit.

Back