land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well finally some updates here,well to start this new series of posts off i want to say that i am back in the woods today been the first day in maybe two months,i have been so busy at home and with other things that i hadn't much time even to log in to arborist.some good news though to share here is that me and my wife have invested in a fantastic new camera,a canon ixus 230HS,it is a very slim line digital camera with amazing features,the picture quality is amazing for it's size,it surely fits in to the 'high end' spectrum of as far as cameras are concerned.
anyway,the summer here has been a wash out but thankfully the last week has been nice and dry with yesterday and today lovely and sunny,in fact i can safely say that today has been the nicest day this year!

7-2012 (summer)

( PIC HEAVY)

lots of pics to come......

Ayuh, the new camera really seems to be working out great, beautiful pictures for sure! :clap:

Great thread. Glad to see that you are not only having good fortune cutting the wood, but also selling it. Please keep posting the wonderful pictures.

I wish I could see the videos. Every video I clicked said they were private, anyone else find a solution for this?

Loved your thread, it's very interesting to see things from another country and the way it is done over there. It's so different than the dry blowing sand that I live on. I love your choice in saws, I'm a Husky fan myself. :clap:

mmm sorry about that lads,don't know why my videos are on private maybe it's you tube blocked in certain countries.i will check the settings and get back with a solution.

thanks for the comments it is encouraging.i have a few more pics of some work two days ago bringing home some FIR cut up ready to split.

another load of seasoned FIR brought home,

leopardjump001.jpg

wood pile small due to good sales.

leopardjump002.jpg

leopardjump006.jpg

leopardjump002-1.jpg

leopardjump004.jpg

leopardjump005.jpg

Last edited:
ok folks,the summer here in ireland has been the worst recorded,extremly wet,it is every week the same thing with maybe two fine dry days counteracted with the rest of the week wet...this is not good for stocking up and working in the woods,it makes the work twice as hard,anyway the woods is so wet right now that we will have to wait for it to dry.

never the less,as soon as you are organising other work more of it arrives on time,a neighbour of ours has a lot of dangerous trees around his house,he is afraid that they will blow down towards the house,he planted them 50+ years ago and now they are just gone too overgrown,these trees are a type of FIR,i will have pictures tomorrow as we are due to start,ok so this person is a good friend of the family for years,me and my father will do the job this time,with the missus helping out too when she can,the house in question is a house he has rented out to soemone and they want all the trees taken away,when i load the pictures you will see why,some are very large and we will need to climb them and top them,we will use ropes and a tractor to pull the trees in the direction of fall.

will update tomorrow evening with some pics,if it's wet we may not start till another day,but should get pics anyway.

all my wood is selling as fast as it's been cut due to one of the wettest summers recorded in irish history,the farmers here have it very tough this year,crops are very slow here and productivity is down all over ireland,the worst farming year in a long time.
but good for firewood sales,i need to work extra hard now cause i need a lot of stock for winter!! as of now i am running low in stock.i want to cut up these new fir trees at the moment they will be next years firewood when seasoned.

then i need to get back to the woods at the hardwood for this winter.

Last edited:
ok folks,the summer here in ireland has been the worst recorded,extremly wet,it is every week the same thing with maybe two fine dry days counteracted with the rest of the week wet...this is not good for stocking up and working in the woods,it makes the work twice as hard,anyway the woods is so wet right now that we will have to wait for it to dry.

never the less,as soon as you are organising other work more of it arrives on time,a neighbour of ours has a lot of dangerous trees around his house,he is afraid that they will blow down towards the house,he planted them 50+ years ago and now they are just gone too overgrown,these trees are a type of FIR,i will have pictures tomorrow as we are due to start,ok so this person is a good friend of the family for years,me and my father will do the job this time,with the missus helping out too when she can,the house in question is a house he has rented out to soemone and they want all the trees taken away,when i load the pictures you will see why,some are very large and we will need to climb them and top them,we will use ropes and a tractor to pull the trees in the direction of fall.

will update tomorrow evening with some pics,if it's wet we may not start till another day,but should get pics anyway.

all my wood is selling as fast as it's been cut due to one of the wettest summers recorded in irish history,the farmers here have it very tough this year,crops are very slow here and productivity is down all over ireland,the worst farming year in a long time.
but good for firewood sales,i need to work extra hard now cause i need a lot of stock for winter!! as of now i am running low in stock.i want to cut up these new fir trees at the moment they will be next years firewood when seasoned.

then i need to get back to the woods at the hardwood for this winter.

.....thanks for the update, look forward to more of your updates and pictures. :D :popcorn:

Logger12345- I was doing some reading in your thread- getting caught up on the last several pages... just a question- on page 24 of your thread you mentioned a small insect that was similar to mosquitos that we have in the US which prompted just a general knowledge question on my part. Do yall have insects, bugs or snakes that you have to watch out for in the woods in Ireland? Here in Tennessee we have wasp, hornets, yellow jackets, bees, brown recluse, black widow, and certain snakes- Copperhead etc, that we may encounter during certain seasons. I apologize if this was already covered earlier in the thread.

steven

bryanr2

intresting post from you,looks like our country side is a lot tamer than yours,we have nothing to worry about only these small flies here they call them (midges) they are tiny maybe only 1mm in diamater but they attack by the millions,they are normally more acustomed to the damp wet evenings,in a normal sunny day you wouldn't have them,they are more than anoying and bite you which in turn makes you very itchy...... only prevention for these suckers is some over the counter cream which you apply (insect reppelant) other than that we don't have anything to worry about at all,apart from watching the ground for rats and vermin.

also cheers NHLOCAL,have a nice weekend all,today is sunday a day to throw the legs up ;)

bryanr2

intresting post from you,looks like our country side is a lot tamer than yours,we have nothing to worry about only these small flies here they call them (midges) they are tiny maybe only 1mm in diamater but they attack by the millions,they are normally more acustomed to the damp wet evenings,in a normal sunny day you wouldn't have them,they are more than anoying and bite you which in turn makes you very itchy...... only prevention for these suckers is some over the counter cream which you apply (insect reppelant) other than that we don't have anything to worry about at all,apart from watching the ground for rats and vermin.

also cheers NHLOCAL,have a nice weekend all,today is sunday a day to throw the legs up ;)

.....throw the legs up, well said! :msp_thumbup:

bryanr2

I know all about the rats in the woodpiles. Luckily I have a little female rat terrier who is absolutely obsessed with the piles of wood. The other day while splittling some old oak rounds she got onto a nest and killed three adults and 4 babies within a matter of seconds. It was impressive to watch. What other vernim might you encounter in your cuttings?
Steven

Logger12345- I was doing some reading in your thread- getting caught up on the last several pages... just a question- on page 24 of your thread you mentioned a small insect that was similar to mosquitos that we have in the US which prompted just a general knowledge question on my part. Do yall have insects, bugs or snakes that you have to watch out for in the woods in Ireland? Here in Tennessee we have wasp, hornets, yellow jackets, bees, brown recluse, black widow, and certain snakes- Copperhead etc, that we may encounter during certain seasons. I apologize if this was already covered earlier in the thread.

steven

You forgot chiggers and fireants.

I know all about the rats in the woodpiles. Luckily I have a little female rat terrier who is absolutely obsessed with the piles of wood. The other day while splittling some old oak rounds she got onto a nest and killed three adults and 4 babies within a matter of seconds. It was impressive to watch. What other vernim might you encounter in your cuttings?
Steven

that sounds like one impressive dog to be honest!! they are great those,we had some years ago and yes they are excellent for vermin,to be honest apart from RATS -MICE we don't have any and even the rats and mice are rare in the woods but you can never be too carefull,weil's disease is not too uncommon,and can kill if untreated,basicly touching rats urine can finish you off,so gloves and good gear is a must,i am investing some money now in to proper working cloathing,something i am lazy about wearing in summer with the heat,i see a nice one piece suit now aailable in husqvarna shops,wouldn't mind one of those,but WOW expensive...... :msp_wink:

i will have to take a day off now once a month to finish other areas of my training with tree care ireland,this company are based in carlow and train fully in all areas of tree care and forest work,i just need to complete a few more courses to make sure i got it all covered for my insurance,i will then put my name in with the local electrical company and be on call to take care of storm damaged trees etc......just as an extra sideline job,could provide extra income in these tough economic times :) but electrical companies have a lot of qualified names already on the lists so i may never get a call but if you arn't in you can't win as they say ;) gotta try!! these courses arn't cheap and take time,carlow is maybe 200miles from me.the courses vary from one to 3 day courses.

Last edited:
You forgot chiggers and fireants.

fireants aren't something I have gotten into here yet. Got in a nest of them while working on my Uncle's Ranch in Tx one summer as a teen. I have heard that fireants have made their way into TN. They were imported in in some sod that came from the South for the Golf Courses and the Hoity Toity crowd.:dizzy: I havent seen any on our property yet though.

fireants aren't something I have gotten into here yet. Got in a nest of them while working on my Uncle's Ranch in Tx one summer as a teen. I have heard that fireants have made their way into TN. They were imported in in some sod that came from the South for the Golf Courses and the Hoity Toity crowd.:dizzy: I havent seen any on our property yet though.

silly me...YES we have ants too this time of year and the place is walking with them,they leave a nasty little bite too... just the normal red ants

some updates,WET WET WET..... havn't started the new job yet i mentioned where i will be taking down lots of large trees around my neighbours house,waiting for a dryer day,it is very wet here still,when you look at the TV and see the london olymipics and see the weather they have it looks amazing....typical of here rain rain rain.....

anyway,i am back in the woods,taking down more ASH trees,went down today but couldn't make any start,it was just raining too much,tomorrow maybe :)

yesterday was a nice enough day so i decided to refurb my tralier,i think it came out nicely...some hand brushed high quality trailer paint which had sealer and hardner all in one,i'm happy with how it turned out,i used compressed air,wire brush on my dewalt drill,and some sand paper,took around 5 hours on and off,NOT BAD.......

ohh yeah,was on to carlow (tree care ireland ltd) i'm all set to finish out all the rest of my courses soon,then i will be completly fully qualified,i will have to fund them myself but they are all the highest NTCP city & guilds which covers every aspect of the arborist traning,then i may set up a full on tree surgeon buisness,sort of expand what i'm currently at.

so somepics on the way of the whole week :)

Last edited:
ok first off,refurbing that rusted trailer......

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

a close up of it,as you can see it is in need of some TLC..been a loNGGG time since anyone painted this...

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

wire brush to tackle the heavy stuff....

016.jpg

wheels before been cleaned,won't paint them until next week,will paint them gloss black.

017.jpg

018.jpg

ok after a few hours of sanding this is how it is looking..

019.jpg

some sand paper....

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

some updates with the 440 XTORQ and canon ixus,back in the woods cutting and stacking some silver birtch and ASH....today was a hard wet day.....

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood001.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood002.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood003.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood004.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood005.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood020.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood035.jpg

arboristlatestupdatesASHhardwood037.jpg

Back