land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
arb2008.jpg

arb2009.jpg

arb2010.jpg

right some shots of the weather first before i continue

thursday2012arborist001.jpg

thursday2012arborist002.jpg

thursday2012arborist003.jpg

thursday2012arborist004.jpg

and we had a walk around the land on our break,thousands of hardwood trees here :)

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
i guess what i am trying to do here is show some of the readers and followers of this thread how much things have changed here in ireland since i started in january,you get a good idea of the change in seasons from this thread,back in january nothing was green only the obvious things like some bushes and grass in the fields,now everything is green here in the summer and early autum,soon it will be back to grey again when all the leaves start to fall off the trees again,but it makes for less work for me when clearing.

thursday2012arborist023.jpg

thursday2012arborist024.jpg

thursday2012arborist025.jpg

thursday2012arborist026.jpg

thursday2012arborist027.jpg

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
greg409,

thanks,yes you think like me,if a man don't appreciate the simple things in life like nature then he is already dead.sorry if it sounds like a harsh way to put it but nature has to be appreciated,it's all around us and we all take it for granted.i just can't get over all the colours i am seeing since i started to work here.

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
ok back to work again,today we bought home two large traliers,was an easy day,was also nice and hot,we take our time when we work and we just try to get something done everytime we come down here,we used the husqvarna 440 xtorq to start cutting some today in to firewood,it's a great chainsaw,one full load cut up for one tank of fuel,and it's a small little tank,think it only takes 500mills,must check it.

arborwrist001.jpg

arborwrist002.jpg

arborwrist003.jpg

spot the flying logs......

arborwrist004.jpg

cut up load ready for sale,but some of these no walk in the park to cut either,some of these are extremly hard,especially the silver birtch,it seems far harder than the ash to cut.

arborwrist005.jpg

arborwrist006.jpg

T0RN4D0

T0RN4D0

ArboristSite Guru
Interesting pictures, you guys do have a lot of mud up there.

What amazes me the most tho is the absolute disregard for any order with your firewood. :D Do you ever stack it or always dump it on one another? Also impressed by the diversity of the firewood length. I wonder how anyone would prefer random length firewood :rock:

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
Interesting pictures, you guys do have a lot of mud up there.

What amazes me the most tho is the absolute disregard for any order with your firewood. :D Do you ever stack it or always dump it on one another? Also impressed by the diversity of the firewood length. I wonder how anyone would prefer random length firewood :rock:

good questions,yeah it's true when we bring it to cut it,it's generally cut up straight away so no point in organising it even though we try when we can with the softwood poles (see early pics) some of these larger logs will be split again with axe,the firewood is litterly selling as fast as it's been thrown here so no point in stacking it really,the hardwood sells fresh,all this hardwood is great to burn this fresh especially the ASH,softwoods of course then are a differnt matter and can't be sold immediatly.

a new shed is on the cards soon,a very large one and when i can i will start stacking and clamping any of the wetter wood in it.even actually when/if i get time some of the wetter wood here i might start to stack it,i will have a lot of wet/fresh trees to cut soon which will be softwood spruce (next years wood) so yes i think i will stack that then here.

Last edited:
T0RN4D0

T0RN4D0

ArboristSite Guru
If you start stacking firewood i think you'll also start cutting it to more even length :D Do you really burn fresh wood? I like to wait at least 1 year (well a summer season) or rather 2 before burning it.

What are the prices on firewood up there if you don't mind me asking?

Wazzu

Wazzu

ArboristSite Operative
Why would you burn green wood? That stuff should dry for at least a year, probably two in a moist climate. I bet you could get a lot more loyal customers if you were to let the wood dry for a year or two and then sell it.

On a side note, I was in Bosnia last week and they also cut their firewood real short too. I spoke with a baptist missionary on the way back from Kosovo on my trip home and she said that in a two year period their church gave away $40,000 IN FIREWOOD!!!! She did say that they thought some folks were scamming them and re-selling it though. In addition she said that anything not nailed down was stolen, which has also been my experience with E. Europeans too?!

T0RN4D0

T0RN4D0

ArboristSite Guru
Well around here (west of the eastern Europe) firewood is cut in regard to what you plan on burning it in. Usually to 1m (40") in the woods, and than to the size that fits your stove/boiler/fireplace... For smaller stoves usually that 1m piece goes into 4 pieces, for house heating boilers into 2 or 3, sometimes 4... If you're stacking wood you want it all the same size, otherwise its a pain. And 33cm logs in a boiler that takes 50 isn't very effective either.

I would imagine they are using a lot of simple stoves in Bosnia or smaller (cheaper) boilers for central heating. And for stealing in E.Europe, still a lot of poverty down there, so I believe its kind of natural that valuable items that are easy to carry get stolen. :D But i generally have good experience with ex-Yugoslavia nations (serbs, bosnians, croatia), they are mostly kind and will always welcome you, offer you a drink and treat you good. Not too fond of Romanians and Bulgarians tho.

But there are always exceptions to every rule, and you need too find just one a$$hole in the million to make your experience miserable or vice-versa.

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
the wood cut here is mostly as mentioned ASH which is a superior firewood,no need in my opinion to season at all,(yes better though when seasoned a while) all my customers take all my hardwoods fresh and are happy to get it this way cause it's rare here in ireland good hardwoods,most of them agree to it fresh and are happy to season it themselves.

now on the otherhand the softwoods,i would NOT sell unless seasoned,the spruce here in the pics was covered with plastic for a year and now it is starting to season nicely,i'm almost all out of that now too as it is selling fast.

as for lengths of the wood,i like to mix it up,90percent of my customers like it mixed,both large and small lengths aslong as nothing is too long or bit it usually is all good :msp_wink:

sometimes in ireland it's a luxury to get good hardwoods not to mention them well seasoned,people selling wood in a smaller scale to me would have it well seasoned,my wood is bought before it's even cut to be honest.

bryanr2

the woods is probably only 2miles from me,where i cut is maybe a mile :)

Last edited:
logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
thanks nhlocal.

yeah i do love the work,i'm amazed with the changes down here in the space of a few months/weeks.

we noticed an amazing rate of growth here too,out of all the trees i have cut down back in january they are already growing back!!! it's amazing,i must take some pictures of this the next time i am back,ash trees regenerate really fast....they have little shoots coming out of them already and are ready to take off.

NHlocal

NHlocal

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some where in the back woods of New Hampshire.
thanks nhlocal.

yeah i do love the work,i'm amazed with the changes down here in the space of a few months/weeks.

we noticed an amazing rate of growth here too,out of all the trees i have cut down back in january they are already growing back!!! it's amazing,i must take some pictures of this the next time i am back,ash trees regenerate really fast....they have little shoots coming out of them already and are ready to take off.

I have many White Ash ( Fraxinus americana ) around my home, they seem to be a rather fast growing tree and very aggressive in sprouting up seedlings all around my yard. If I don't keep up with pulling them out I would be over run with them. :msp_ohmy: I have a few behind my house that are just about 30 in. DBH and 80 to 90 feet tall. I'll try to remember to post a few pictures, beautiful trees, and yes, GREAT for firewood! :hmm3grin2orange:

Looking forward to more updates with pictures of your beautiful country. :biggrinbounce2:

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
I have many White Ash ( Fraxinus americana ) around my home, they seem to be a rather fast growing tree and very aggressive in sprouting up seedlings all around my yard. If I don't keep up with pulling them out I would be over run with them. :msp_ohmy: I have a few behind my house that are just about 30 in. DBH and 80 to 90 feet tall. I'll try to remember to post a few pictures, beautiful trees, and yes, GREAT for firewood! :hmm3grin2orange:

Looking forward to more updates with pictures of your beautiful country. :biggrinbounce2:

that sounds great,yes ash is great firewood,i would be very intrested to see the trees,some of the trees i am cutting are very narrow,maybe a foot in diamater but they are really tall,there obvioulsy is some very large wider trees then when you go deeper in the woods here,all will be revealed in good time here :msp_thumbup:

but yeah,ash is just unreal,it's amazing the way it burns fresh,lovely and clean wood to work with too,the FIR softwood has one advantage over them all though and that is it's perfume like smell,i love it..... :)

yes that sounds great,get some pics up when you can!

logger-

logger 12345

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
hi all,

ok i felt like posting something intresting,ok this video i done a while back shows the woods when we just finished up clearing the roadway in,now if you look at the video this was maybe march this year,it took some doing by hand with the 440xtorq and 365sp to clear the way in,anyway,when we made it in to the woods i made this video to give the viewers here an idea of the woods where we work.

now the intresting/exciting thing here is i am currently working on a new video which is going to show the woods now,this will give you an idea of the work we have done already considering it's just me and the missus and the weather has been awful since so we havn't spent much time here and the trees required an immence amount of work cause they are very tall,anway enjoy the video and let me know what you think.

cheers!

this is the first one,(NOTE) it is a video i done back in march but here you will see the way the woods looked when we arrived,note also this is only the top entrance to the forest,it is huge,i will have the next video of the way it looks now ready sometime this week.

[video=youtube;BomerUIvNig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomerUIvNig[/video]

Last edited:
tld400

tld400

ArboristSite Operative
I enjoyed this whole thread that you made so far. I just read the whole thing in the past 2 hours. Realy enjoyed your pictures and all the info. I appreciate all the hard work with the thread and your work. Keep up the good work and hope to see more. Thanks