land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that sounds great,yes ash is great firewood,i would be very intrested to see the trees,some of the trees i am cutting are very narrow,maybe a foot in diamater but they are really tall,there obvioulsy is some very large wider trees then when you go deeper in the woods here,all will be revealed in good time here :msp_thumbup:

but yeah,ash is just unreal,it's amazing the way it burns fresh,lovely and clean wood to work with too,the FIR softwood has one advantage over them all though and that is it's perfume like smell,i love it..... :)

yes that sounds great,get some pics up when you can!

logger-

I went out just before it got too dark to take pictures and got a few of the "big" Ash behind my house, it's very difficult to get the whole tree in the picture, take a look and I hope you enjoy them. We do have bigger Ash around, just not in my back yard. :hmm3grin2orange:

.....the Ash is in the middle, those are Red Maple to the left and right side.....
attachment.php

.....for reference, my hand is 9 inches from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb.....
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
WOW!!!!

amazing ash trees......:msp_ohmy:......

wait until you see the large ones here in the woods,i need to clear all this crap out of the way first,but i'm saving the best till later.

yes those are great,im speachless,HUGE,would be one word!! :) i think those you have posted are/maybe around 30years old roughly,some of the ones i cut here in the entrance of the woods i'm guessing are only 15ish + years,maybe seedlings from the older trees in the woods,cause when we go deeper in to the woods the trees are huge and then much older maybe some even 40+ year or more,as i say all in good time :) i will post along the way,a man has to start someplace in the woods,....like you it's hard to get them on camera the real scale of them.

do can you actually cut any of those or are they just for show? :biggrin:

those are amazing......thanks very much for the great pics NHLOCAL :msp_thumbup:

ps,
please note that sometimes my comments can be slow due to our differnt time zones,i guess when i log in here in the evening after work all you guys are catching some zzzz's :)) in saying that at times we can all be on together and having a conversation, again depends on the time we log in....

anyone with great pics of ASH trees please feel free to share,i'm VERY intrested.

-logger

Last edited:
WOW!!!!

amazing ash trees......:msp_ohmy:......

wait until you see the large ones here in the woods,i need to clear all this crap out of the way first,but i'm saving the best till later.

yes those are great,im speachless,HUGE,would be one word!! :) i think those you have posted are/maybe around 30years old roughly,some of the ones i cut here in the entrance of the woods i'm guessing are only 15ish + years,maybe seedlings from the older trees in the woods,cause when we go deeper in to the woods the trees are huge and then much older maybe some even 40+ year or more,as i say all in good time :) i will post along the way,a man has to start someplace in the woods,....like you it's hard to get them on camera the real scale of them.

do can you actually cut any of those or are they just for show? :biggrin:

those are amazing......thanks very much for the great pics NHLOCAL :msp_thumbup:

ps,
please note that sometimes my comments can be slow due to our differnt time zones,i guess when i log in here in the evening after work all you guys are catching some zzzz's :)) in saying that at times we can all be on together and having a conversation, again depends on the time we log in....

anyone with great pics of ASH trees please feel free to share,i'm VERY intrested.

-logger

Yes, with the different time zones it is difficult, but I completely understand.
I'm looking forward to seeing the "large" Ash trees you will be cutting, even better would be seeing video of them when they fall. :msp_thumbup: And yes, I can cut the trees on my property but I will only cut trees that are dying or need to be "thinned out". I have no need to cut those beautiful trees right now, and I get plenty of firewood from other people that want trees on their property cut down. ;)

i will put up some more videos shortly of previous large trees i have cut here,of course i will do videos then along the way when i cut more.yesi too felt the same when i first came here i was reluctant to cut some of the trees as they are really beautiful but after speaking to the landowner they were going to be cut and sold anyway so what the heck....

will upload some videos soon :)

found this old video here of one of two of the most dangerous trees i cut here so far,these two trees were cut back in april.

the one in the river was extremly dangerous,the hinge cut i made in it i needed to make another because where i made the first cut the tree was a little too soft and i didn't trust it, (hence the large odd high looking hinge cut when it was falling it took more of the hinge with it) anyway it fell as i wanted to but it was very dangerous,there was a lot of limbs on top quite rotton,one of them could have fell off any time.....
[video=youtube;FrM1wcOYzPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrM1wcOYzPw[/video]

Last edited:
and this large birtch tree,extremly hard wood in it,was a dangerous tree also,i used no ropes or anything,it was leaning awkwardly on top in a few differnt angles,so it was hard to judge it,i was up on the hill before making it in to the woods.

[video=youtube;_74FOhtT8CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74FOhtT8CQ[/video]

and another vid.
cutting up young ash trees with 365SP

[video=youtube;HhqcTaTHCDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqcTaTHCDw[/video]

the 440xtorq felling and limbing in the woods.

[video=youtube;SuJbrBRibyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJbrBRibyg[/video]

Why do you wear sweatpants when you work? Wouldn't denim jeans be more practical?? You always look like you are getting ready to go to the gym and work out.

weather here this summer has been extremly hot,i hate wearing jeans when working as they are not as flexable,you can move better in these.

in the next few weeks i am going to start wearing the new husqvarna one piece suits now to work in all conditions,they are great and very breathable.

saftey first.

and this large birtch tree,extremly hard wood in it,was a dangerous tree also,i used no ropes or anything,it was leaning awkwardly on top in a few differnt angles,so it was hard to judge it,i was up on the hill before making it in to the woods.

[video=youtube;_74FOhtT8CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74FOhtT8CQ[/video]

Well done,
I always have liked video better than pictures because it gives me a better idea of what's going on and a better perspective of how the work is being done. I use all my pics and video to improve on safety with my work. It's a completely objective point of view of how I'm working, and I'm extremely critical of myself so I'm always picking apart my technique. :hmm3grin2orange:
The way that tree ended up laying down looked like it was very dangerous to limb and cut up. :msp_ohmy: Looked like the take down went well, but it made me a little nervous to see how it was layed out. Must have gone OK, you're still able to go out and cut. :msp_thumbup:

We had to fell an Ash very much like that NH ash ya got there while I was over on a preserve in England:

[video=youtube;alX6hTpgYZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX6hTpgYZs[/video]

That's my ported Echo with a 16" bar and semi chisel.

wet wet weather and some new chains :)

got some new chains,two of each, didn't need them at all cause the ones i'm using i file myself and they just last forever,decided as i was in the city today to stock up anyway, the two on the left are 24" 83drive link for the 365sp and the other two are 69drivelink 15" for the 440 all oregon chains.
i go back to the same husqvarna dealers where i bought my two saws and i always get great prices,the marked price on the 24" chain is 42euros,i got two for 60e, the price of the other 15" are 22euros and i got them for 35 for two :biggrin:

i will be going back soon to get more husqvarna garden equipment for home so yeah i would be a fairly regular customer.

newchains003.jpg

few old chains hanging up,still lot of life in them too.

newchains001.jpg

newchains002.jpg

newchains004.jpg

newchains005.jpg

365sp didn't need a new chain fitted at all as the one that's on it is perfect,so i just fitted one on the 440 and will keep the one i took off in my tool box for clearing bushes.

weather today was the wettest all summer,will sure to be local flooding before the night is here.didn't get much done today apart from leaving to go to the city to get some gear.

wetupdatestoday023.jpg

wetupdatestoday020.jpg

wetupdatestoday019.jpg

wetupdatestoday018.jpg

wetupdatestoday014.jpg

wetupdatestoday015.jpg

wetupdatestoday016.jpg

wetupdatestoday017.jpg

We had to fell an Ash very much like that NH ash ya got there while I was over on a preserve in England:

[video=youtube;alX6hTpgYZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX6hTpgYZs[/video]

That's my ported Echo with a 16" bar and semi chisel.

Ayuh, that's a good size Ash tree you got there, and a very hungry little saw. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back