Lazy people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be a little biased.:msp_unsure: I've known sawford since college, know his area, and the people he has to deal with. That tends to make me jump on his side without knowing every detail.

Details keep changing with the people who want the wood, they keep calling, so has the story changed? YES!! I priced them the wood and delivery and they don't want to pay it so I will continue to fire up the saw and splitter, spend some time with my family cutting and splitting and enjoy the burn time around the stove with my family. And we all lived happily ever after! THE END!!

I have 4 saws and I'm surrounded by acres of woods around us. My wife is in school full time and I have 3 children. I work full time and at the end of the day I prefer to spend time with my family. I've been buying cords of wood from my BIL for 125.00 delivered. At that price it's worth buying. I've cut a couple of cords and plan on doing more, but don't have the time right now. As I get time I cut, wouldn't call it lazy for buying wood.

I have a wife in school fulltime, a 3 1/2 year old and I work 50 - 60 hrs a week with 2 1/2 hour commute each day. My wood supply is 30 minutes south of me, so I am heating with gas and mixture of wood. It all comes down to time, I would love to be one of these guys that has uber time to head in to the woods, but life has gotten busy.

Feel fortunate if you have time available, I miss heating with wood 24/7.

Tes

I have a wife in school fulltime, a 3 1/2 year old and I work 50 - 60 hrs a week with 2 1/2 hour commute each day. My wood supply is 30 minutes south of me, so I am heating with gas and mixture of wood. It all comes down to time, I would love to be one of these guys that has uber time to head in to the woods, but life has gotten busy.

Feel fortunate if you have time available, I miss heating with wood 24/7.

Tes

I agree it is tough to find time! Life does get busy! Keep up the hard work man!!

I can relate to this .. ^^^

I've always wondered why people buy wood... if your paying for fuel why not make it propane or Ng?

Now if you don't have a traditional gas/electric furnace and you exclusively heat with wood then buying wood would be a necessity..

I don't buy wood because we have tons of it, but I see why people do.

Because you can't beat the look of a real wood fire. And when the rest of the day just sucked or you spent all day at work spinning your wheels, it is nice to build a fire and watch it burn. "Ah! Accomplishment at last."

I don't buy wood because we have tons of it, but I see why people do.

Because you can't beat the look of a real wood fire. And when the rest of the day just sucked or you spent all day at work spinning your wheels, it is nice to build a fire and watch it burn. "Ah! Accomplishment at last."

I get more satisfaction knowing I'm paying that much less to someone in an arabian desert. I REALLY like it when people BUY a product that is made here in our own country, Like my wood furnace. I'll pay a German for the saw and throw the arab a bone for the fuel to run it, that doesn't bother me. If there was an equal option for those made here I'd go that route as well but there isn't that I know of. I do not feel this is prejudice either. It's about keeping some money here when we can

This is the American way!

America has become a service oriented country. Why just think, wasn't long ago we mowed our own lawns and changed our own oii! Now we go to town to hit Starbucks for a cup of coffee for crying out loud. So for guys like you and me, Let's go to work and give these people service and they can give us money! I'll make my own coffee and save the four bucks.

America has become a service oriented country. Why just think, wasn't long ago we mowed our own lawns and changed our own oii! Now we go to town to hit Starbucks for a cup of coffee for crying out loud. So for guys like you and me, Let's go to work and give these people service and they can give us money! I'll make my own coffee and save the four bucks.

My wife told me how great of a company Starbuck's is because they pay the employees well, offer health insurance, and give tons of benefits. No wonder it costs $10 for a cup of coffee.

Well I guess I am lazy. I cut my own wood for a few years till I made friends with a 70 year old fella who cuts wood year round. He offered to sell me seasoned hadwood for 45.00 a truckload. After the first couple trips he switched to 80.00 for my 16 foot trailer stacked 3ish foot high. Now boys I cant cut it that cheap. I cut for the last two years after he said he wasnt doing it anymore. He called yesterday and said he had 2 barns worth he would sell me same price,,,, I aint cutting no more wood this year fellas.... Guess I am lazy!

Tree Service Fairhope, AL

It comes down to opportunity cost. If you can work for 2 hours and make $100, you are beter off doing so and letting someone else spend 10 hours cutting the wood, splitting the wood, storing the wood, then hauling it to you, then stacking it where you want it. And all that for $80 (including the gas it took him to run the equipment and drive to you). You can't beat that. Even if you made minimum wage, you would be better off staying at work and letting the old man bring you firewood. Truth is, people in the firewood business work way to cheap, except for the $5 bundles at the convenience stores. All that said, I still get my own firewood... I think I just like doing it.

I have to pick it up at his place, load and haul but the deal I have on that wood is a steal. I usually give him a 100.00 bill but he refuses to keep the 20.00 keeps saying we have a deal. He told me a few years ago he was afraid to stop cutting, afraid he would die. Old guy gets around better than I do LOL

I cut alot if wood this year and really enjoy it. But I suspect I will spend the time I would cut this winter cutting the roads I need to get cut through my property. Then when I go to cutting next year it will be much easier because I can get closer to the wood.

Latest posts

Back