Leaving a brand new 455 saw unused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a never used 455 Husq, but I don't need it at the moment and would let it sit until my stihl 310 died. The thing is that the price is right, should I buy?

yeah it'll be a firewood saw. I can get it for 250. My thing is I dont need it right now will it be okay just sitting around?

I would pull the plug and give it a shot of fogging oil and then put it up in a nice dry place. I would think a new saw would last indefinitely in dry storage.

You are going to be waiting a long time for your 310 to die. I have seen several of those last YEARS in tree service use. I'd put the $250 in a bank account. By the time the 310 wears out, you'll have enough $ for an MS-884. If you smash the 310, or score it with crappy gas / cracked fuel line, then I guess it would be nice to have another waiting in the wings.

A spare saw?

yeah it'll be a firewood saw. I can get it for 250. My thing is I dont need it right now will it be okay just sitting around?

--excellent price for that saw. Talk about saw "needs", here's my take on that. You never know when you might need a spare saw. Not for firewood, for REAL IMPORTANT STUFF.

Hurricanes/tornadoes/ice storms/ straight line wind storms all can happen. You go one day thinking all you need is a used firewood saw, the next day every saw in the community combined ain't enough saw to get the big job done. Same with generators.

That's exactly what happened with me and learned my lesson, now multiple saws in different sizes. I still don't have a real big saw, still looking for a deal there, but at least I have some good, 30-40s, 50s, will have a 60 when fixed plus backup there, have a 70 that works good enough, need around a 90 with a big bar for the big stuff.

You just ain't had no fun until tons of oak decides to come into the living room to visit with you....you go instantly from just thinking firewood and some thinning to OMG..and you can't have enough saws or saw then.

Plus an excavator.

So ya, a backup known good saw is a good idea especially at a bargain price, although I don't know if I would leave it as it, I'd break it in and tune it correctly, then maybe consider long term correct storage.

Like zogger said, but it because you never know when yours might not be enough and then you'll be kicking yourself for paying much more. Besides, this may help prevent CAD from setting in too soon...

I would buy it and take it along when I go to cut wood. Hit a rock or something with the first saw, put it back in the truck and grab the next one and keep cutting. The multiple saw plan works well for me. I only have a limited amount of time to cut wood and like to get as much done as possible when I am out there. I sharpen them, on my lunch break when I am at my 8 to 5 job.

I would buy it and take it along when I go to cut wood. Hit a rock or something with the first saw, put it back in the truck and grab the next one and keep cutting. The multiple saw plan works well for me. I only have a limited amount of time to cut wood and like to get as much done as possible when I am out there. I sharpen them, on my lunch break when I am at my 8 to 5 job.

What he said, man should always have 2 saws when out cuttin' wood.

Give the 455 a chance. You might want to park the S****!! I mean the 310.:laugh:

--excellent price for that saw. Talk about saw "needs", here's my take on that. You never know when you might need a spare saw. Not for firewood, for REAL IMPORTANT STUFF.

Hurricanes/tornadoes/ice storms/ straight line wind storms all can happen. You go one day thinking all you need is a used firewood saw, the next day every saw in the community combined ain't enough saw to get the big job done. Same with generators.

So ya, a backup known good saw is a good idea especially at a bargain price, although I don't know if I would leave it as it, I'd break it in and tune it correctly, then maybe consider long term correct storage.

I have a BRAND NEW 455 Rancher in the box circa 2005-6..??

I bought for $300 off e-bay from local seller...NO shipping cost...and No local sales tax..!!

I have other saws..for sure..but this one is my Ultimate Back-Up Emergency Saw...!!

I hope I never have a need to use it...but for the price...I'll just 'sit on it'..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I have a BRAND NEW 455 Rancher in the box circa 2005-6..??

I bought for $300 off e-bay from local seller...NO shipping cost...and No local sales tax..!!

I have other saws..for sure..but this one is my Ultimate Back-Up Emergency Saw...!!

I hope I never have a need to use it...but for the price...I'll just 'sit on it'..!!
:cheers:
J2F

--good for you!

Something I thought about, that I should have done when much younger..always buy two identical whatevers, the necessary stuff, and just squirrel one away.

--good for you!

Something I thought about, that I should have done when much younger..always buy two identical whatevers, the necessary stuff, and just squirrel one away.

Provided that you still have room to squirrel stuff away!!!:msp_blushing:

Back