Less expensive equivalent to the MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the requirements:
-Has to weigh about the same or less as a 290(13-14 lbs)
-Has to cost less than the 361
-Has to be new(I barely have enough time to cut wood anymore, let alone tinker with a mistreated overpriced used saw.)
-Has to last.

I'm cutting about 5-10 cords a year. And NO, I probably do not need anything more than the farmboss but I WANT more! damn CAD.

I am a big fan of the 270/280 series. They are in the same power class as the 290, but weigh less and have update AV technologies. Both the 270 and 280 meet all of your above criteria, especially the 270.

I ran my 270 with an 18" bar and RMC chain (.325) against my godfathers 361 with 20" bar and RMC chain (3/8) this weekend. Both cut through regular firewood size hardwoods with ease. We could both get them to bog if we really torqued on them, and both pulled themselves through the wood easily when we let the saws do the work. We each cut with both saws, and on average the 361 was 2-3 seconds faster in 18" hardwoods regardless of who was running the saw (technique, strength, etc.). For just cutting firewood, I'll never notice the few seconds per cut.

The 361 is a great saw. If you have CAD + CASH, then get it. It seems to be a popular one saw system since it will run a 18" for general firewood cutting and a 25" bar for bigger stuff. For me, it is not worth the extra cash to gain 1hp for general cutting. I am saving my pennies for a 441 to satisfy my CAD though!

If your just cutting firewood, the 270 is the best saw for the price. :chainsaw:

Heres the requirements:
-Has to weigh about the same or less as a 290(13-14 lbs)
-Has to cost less than the 361
-Has to be new(I barely have enough time to cut wood anymore, let alone tinker with a mistreated overpriced used saw.)
-Has to last.

Technically, an MS390 would meet these qualifications.

I agree the 270/280 are good saws, but they are waaay down on power vs. the 361......

Your right, one HP extra is a lot in a chainsaw. Just don't think it is all that necessary for a guy who cuts 5 chords and wants to save cash. Sure would be fun though :cheers:

What other dealers are close? If you do not want to repair one yourself than you should probably stick to a brand with a servicing dealership nearby. Read enough threads and it will become clear that even new saws can require service by knowledgeable technicians.

Take the money that you have set aside and buy four Poulan Wild Thingies! What the heck, they're disposable right? Or buy the 361 and never worry about cancer,warts,night sweats and toe fungus!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Jonsered 2165. Search the net. There used to be some real deals out there. Also those JD's are going for some awsome prices. I got a CS81 before Christmas for $465 and got a 10% Pay-Pal coupon deal on it. On my porch for less than $450.

Didn't get the 361 today

Had to take a half day off work to get my wood out of the fields and into the lot. This could be the last day we have good frozen ground to drive on in Mid-Ohio(at least I'm hoping!)

The 359 is interesting but if I have to up more cash to mod it out of the box why not just get the 361 and be there to start with. Although the youtube clip ripped!

I must have missed the 341 somehow. Haven't been talked out the 361 yet...

Buy this if it is still available:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/1047471615.html

Stihl 361, 28" bar, used 3 hours - $395 (NE Portland)

I bought this new last year to take down two trees; I sharpened the chain, and need the money now more than the chainsaw. It has less than 3 hours use, probably closer to 2.
Craig
503/201-9098

Forget the 341... geez. Get the real saw.

Last edited:
Chuck Norris uses a 361....coiendence? I think not.

I like the 359 also. The 621 is a good runner but I don't know how they would hold up in the long run.

Had to take a half day off work to get my wood out of the fields and into the lot. This could be the last day we have good frozen ground to drive on in Mid-Ohio(at least I'm hoping!)

The 359 is interesting but if I have to up more cash to mod it out of the box why not just get the 361 and be there to start with. Although the youtube clip ripped!

I must have missed the 341 somehow. Haven't been talked out the 361 yet...

It doesn't need any mods. Swapping out for a different muffler is hardly a mod.

my 359 handles much much much much much better than my 310, both are muffler modded and the 359 is ported. the 359 is screamer to say the least. timberwolf says ported 359s run with 372s.
im bout to tear mine down for a 3rd time and do some more grinding. 359 weighs the same as the 361.

the 290-390 saws would be major downgrade compared to the 361. 359 would be an upgrade in my opion even with the added exspence of the 357 noncat muff. muffler it and youl be grinning, port it and your draw will drop with the first crisp crack of the throttle. put a 24" bar as hard as you can in the wood and youl wonder why you need a bigger saw

that does seem like a pretty good deal Windthrown! Too bad I'm in Ohio and I really have a thing for checking these things out in person. If it shows as little use as they say I'm sure its already gone anyhow!

Whats a 359 noncat muffler cost?

Back