Less expensive equivalent to the MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats not what I heard. A broke down 621 at that. LOL

Rumors are like arseholes and when it comes to the "said" person, a broke down saw could mean it's ported. It ran good but when you have to bring a spare power head to make it though the day, or a few cookies in this case, it doesn't say much.:spam:

take your time

do some searches for dealers near you, even those that aint near you take a day and go look at a few different saws in the $$$ range you are willin to spend and get a good feel of em.

I like my CS56 John Deere and when I get bored I might bump it up to a 62cc saw. I have a 6401 Makita ( Dolmar ) coming soon and I hear a bunch of good things about these. But both of these might not make you so happy, maybe its under powered or too heavy or just dont feel right. Go do some physical research after you do the $$$$ and HP research.

We can't really pick your saw for ya!
Good Luck

I was looking at getting a 361 at the local Stihl dealer. They had great service but I thought the saws were overpriced. I ended up getting a dolmar 7900 instead. They were the same price but I thought the dolmar would be a better saw for me. It seemed to be a bit heavier but for the extra power it was worth it. :chainsaw: I am no expert so I do not know how the dolmar 7900 compares to the Stihl 361. I know the dolmar has more power. Good luck.

How close are the prices from your local dealers?

In my area the 359 costs around $500+tax and the 361 costs $589. If you add the non cat muffler that puts you closer. I love my 359's so far because they balance & handle well. But if you don't want to tinker, just get the 361. I'd suggest the 357xp but it's usually a good bit more than the 361 with the same amount of power.

outdoortype, I think you've "hit the nail on the head". This thread has really proved to me that the 361 seems to be the perfect match. I like to tinker, but not with my chainsaws(yet!). With my local stihl dealer just down the road(went to school with his boys), that's the clincher.

We need a chainsaw supermarket with all the brands on hand for demos! Who here can make this happen?

outdoortype, I think you've "hit the nail on the head". This thread has really proved to me that the 361 seems to be the perfect match. I like to tinker, but not with my chainsaws(yet!). With my local stihl dealer just down the road(went to school with his boys), that's the clincher.

We need a chainsaw supermarket with all the brands on hand for demos! Who here can make this happen?

Keep in mind that vid Parrisw posted of Timberwolf's wonderfully modded 359 is most likely modded to run with a 460 minimum. (TW if Im wrong I apologize, but I dont think Im wrong).

No one. I don't think Stihl let's their dealer's carry other brands. They must be worried about their market share.:laugh:

All joking aside. I think the 361 is a pretty good little saw, but it won't really cure cancer, and it can't walk on water either. Just a decent little saw.

When looking for a less expensive equivelent remember; You don't alway's get what you pay for, but you'll always pay for what you get.:cheers:

Andy

No one. I don't think Stihl let's their dealer's carry other brands. They must be worried about their market share.:laugh:

That just ain't so. Around here many of the Stihl dealers have other brands. Shindaiwa, Echo, Husky...

All joking aside. I think the 361 is a pretty good little saw, but it won't really cure cancer, and it can't walk on water either. Just a decent little saw.

No one saying that the 361 cures cancer! It PREVENTS cancer.

Last edited:

When looking for a less expensive equivelent remember; You don't alway's get what you pay for, but you'll always pay for what you get.:cheers:

Andy

Nobody could possibly say it better. Its not GOD with a chain, just a decent saw. All good saws arent cheap, and even the good ones give trouble.

Andy

My local dealer has everything.

That just ain't so. Around here most of the Stihl dealers have other brands. Shindaiwa, Echo, Husky...

No one saying that the 361 cures cancer! It PREVENTS cancer.

That's why I said "I don't think that Stihl let's......."
I was going by what a guy that carries a few other brands said that Stihl told him when he inquired about being a Stihl dealer. I know that the Stihl dealer down the hill used to carry Stihl & Husky, but they have been around since Moby-Dik was a minnow. I figured it might have been one of those "policy changes" that all the manufacturer's are loving so much lately.

I recall seeing a thread that claimed the 361 cures cancer, but even preventing it is a tall order.:cheers:

Andy

it's absolutely worth the extra performance.

Is there one? I like the product,support, and closeness(2 miles away) of the stihl dealer I have so I'm probably going to get the 361. But, I need to give you other brand name guys a chance to throw in your couple of pennies. I'm having a hard time getting off the extra change just because I'm not sure its worth the extra performance over the 290.

Heres the requirements:
-Has to weigh about the same or less as a 290(13-14 lbs)
-Has to cost less than the 361
-Has to be new(I barely have enough time to cut wood anymore, let alone tinker with a mistreated overpriced used saw.)
-Has to last.

I'm cutting about 5-10 cords a year. And NO, I probably do not need anything more than the farmboss but I WANT more! damn CAD.

361 is A LOT better than a 290

I broke my own rule!

I guess they're made to be broken! I had severe CAD last night and found a 361 that Evanrude has had for the last year. He didn't really dislike the saw but it didn't fit between the 660 he loves and the 440 he wants so we struck I deal. Yep, I'm buying a used 361. I think we'll both be happier in the end.

There yah go. Good choice. That saw is technically used, but it looks new. Probably barely broken in, and you know who owned it and who took care of it. And you saved $100 off the price of a new one.

Welcome to the 361 Club.

I think we both did alright. He's shipping it to my doorstep for $475 with 2 chains, a case,the manual and the scrwench. (Ya can't forget the scwrench!)

The truth will be told when i put it through an 18" round!

(I hope its worth it to give up on a perfectly good 290!)

damn the CAD!

Latest posts

Back