Less expensive equivalent to the MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there one? I like the product,support, and closeness(2 miles away) of the stihl dealer I have so I'm probably going to get the 361. But, I need to give you other brand name guys a chance to throw in your couple of pennies. I'm having a hard time getting off the extra change just because I'm not sure its worth the extra performance over the 290.

Heres the requirements:
-Has to weigh about the same or less as a 290(13-14 lbs)
-Has to cost less than the 361
-Has to be new(I barely have enough time to cut wood anymore, let alone tinker with a mistreated overpriced used saw.)
-Has to last.

I'm cutting about 5-10 cords a year. And NO, I probably do not need anything more than the farmboss but I WANT more! damn CAD.

Not to steal the thread; but, Brad what happened to your putting a 'new' top end on the 361 for Bailey's? I never heard the results of your pioneering effort. Tom

The only equivalent is a slightly used 361.

That is just a fact, anything less is a joke.

Sam

Redmax? I might have to make another rule that I've had to at least heard of the name before!:) Just bustin' your chops!

I'll check back tomorrow around 4 pm before I go buy the 361. State your case, Husky fans! (or anyone else, too!)

Redmax? I might have to make another rule that I've had to at least heard of the name before!:) Just bustin' your chops!

I'll check back tomorrow around 4 pm before I go buy the 361. State your case, Husky fans! (or anyone else, too!)

Husky 359 then. Less money, equally as good as a MS361.

I dunno, look into a 390 I guess. I've stood up in here before for the 290 and 310, there's really nothing wrong with them. I try not to use them, but I do fairly often. I don't have many complaints. Take one of them and give it more displacement than a 361, and you probably have a dang good homeowner saw.

Done deal, your're getting a 361. When you want a 660, just get the 361 modded and that will suffice for a little while longer. See, its already saving you money. Perfect.

Sam

The MS290 is a good value. A little overweight. Can't compare it to a 361. The price reflects that. Somewhere there is a post on opening the muffler up SMALL amount. After break-in, it works wonders.

husky 359, eh? I'm listening... $70 cheaper in the configuration I'm looking for(18" bar). Doesn't seem like i've heard a ton about them but i guess I'll have to do a search or two...

Ya, they are great saws. Very well liked. Here is one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Price?

Based off price alone I looked at MS361 and these:

Jonsered 2159-2165
Husky 357xp
Makita 6401 (internet)

All were about the same in price, I went with the 2165 it was cheaper and had a dealer near me, next was the 361. I wanted a local dealer or I would've just got the Makita which was the cheapest. That's based off of prices around here.

Ya, they are great saws. Very well liked. Here is one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

who's saw is this man!? damn.

Latest posts

Back