Less expensive equivalent to the MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnnylabguy
Is there one? I like the product,support, and closeness(2 miles away) of the stihl dealer I have so I'm probably going to get the 361. But, I need to give you other brand name guys a chance to throw in your couple of pennies. I'm having a hard time getting off the extra change just because I'm not sure its worth the extra performance over the 290.

Heres the requirements:
-Has to weigh about the same or less as a 290(13-14 lbs)
-Has to cost less than the 361
-Has to be new(I barely have enough time to cut wood anymore, let alone tinker with a mistreated overpriced used saw.)
-Has to last.

I'm cutting about 5-10 cords a year. And NO, I probably do not need anything more than the farmboss but I WANT more! damn CAD.

West Texas

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru

Not to steal the thread; but, Brad what happened to your putting a 'new' top end on the 361 for Bailey's? I never heard the results of your pioneering effort. Tom

serial killer

serial killer

ArboristSite Operative
I dunno, look into a 390 I guess. I've stood up in here before for the 290 and 310, there's really nothing wrong with them. I try not to use them, but I do fairly often. I don't have many complaints. Take one of them and give it more displacement than a 361, and you probably have a dang good homeowner saw.

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Redmax? I might have to make another rule that I've had to at least heard of the name before!:) Just bustin' your chops!

I'll check back tomorrow around 4 pm before I go buy the 361. State your case, Husky fans! (or anyone else, too!)

Done deal, your're getting a 361. When you want a 660, just get the 361 modded and that will suffice for a little while longer. See, its already saving you money. Perfect.

Sam

stihl86

stihl86

Addicted to ArboristSite
The MS290 is a good value. A little overweight. Can't compare it to a 361. The price reflects that. Somewhere there is a post on opening the muffler up SMALL amount. After break-in, it works wonders.

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
husky 359, eh? I'm listening... $70 cheaper in the configuration I'm looking for(18" bar). Doesn't seem like i've heard a ton about them but i guess I'll have to do a search or two...

Ya, they are great saws. Very well liked. Here is one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

anynamewilldo

anynamewilldo

ArboristSite Lurker
Price?

Based off price alone I looked at MS361 and these:

Jonsered 2159-2165
Husky 357xp
Makita 6401 (internet)

All were about the same in price, I went with the 2165 it was cheaper and had a dealer near me, next was the 361. I wanted a local dealer or I would've just got the Makita which was the cheapest. That's based off of prices around here.

oldirty

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ya, they are great saws. Very well liked. Here is one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

who's saw is this man!? damn.

Latest posts