Lets critique this exceptional saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For such low hours it has a lot of mismatched parts doesn't it. I seen it the other day and thought that is funny for a almost brand new saw.

That guy sells alot of stuff on Ebay. He is also giving out his phone number for folks to call him and chat about the saw. I doubt he'd be doing that if the saw was crap.

For such low hours it has a lot of mismatched parts doesn't it. I seen it the other day and thought that is funny for a almost brand new saw.

Not hard to explain. Low hours before it was backed over by a truck and broke the tank. Or got stuck and a tree landed on it. Dunno why the seller wouldn't just say that. It does look clean.

Jack

Not hard to explain. Low hours before it was backed over by a truck and broke the tank. Or got stuck and a tree landed on it. Dunno why the seller wouldn't just say that. It does look clean.

Jack

Or just built from a bunch of new parts he had laying around, the saw looks to nice for it to have been backed over. Trust me I fix a 5-6 044's that get backed over by a truck/tractor every year.

That guy sells alot of stuff on Ebay. He is also giving out his phone number for folks to call him and chat about the saw. I doubt he'd be doing that if the saw was crap.

I've dealt with Russ before and I believe he's good people. The post office lost some 026 parts I'd bought from him and he immediately replaced them, no questions asked.

I never said it was a crappy saw,prolly runs great. Just thought the discription would point out that it was built from parts. If I was listing it I would make a note of that.

The saw is a "mutt", but looks to be of largely new pieces. If properly assembled, could be a great saw. How many of you guys got saws that are "mutts?"

OK, I'll show my ignorance. I see the the different caps but what else is a mismatch. The filter cover looks to be a different shade but I'm missing the obvious, I guess. Just trying to learn!

OK, I'll show my ignorance. I see the the different caps but what else is a mismatch. The filter cover looks to be a different shade but I'm missing the obvious, I guess. Just trying to learn!

The model plate is riveted on with pop rivets. The correct ones are not like that, and once you bore out the holes for those huge rivets, you can't put it back the way it is supposed to be.

Sure looks clean, even with the mis-matched caps.

I have seen numerous 044/440 "mutts"
My 371 and 394 are mutts too. Most people dont have the $ to drop on new parts and if a tank or what ever else will fit, that is what is going on the saw. The main thing is to keep it running. Even if it has flippy caps
Just my .02cents worth.

Yeah it probably is a low hour saw. I just wish they would say it was dropped, ran over or something like that when they have mismatched parts.

Looks to me like it was pieced together from spare parts?

"Q: Why has the tank on the saw been replaced with one off of a MS440, having a twist lock fuel cap? Feb-13-10
A: The saw was built by a Stihl Tech from nearly all new Stihl parts. The following parts are new STIHL parts: crankcase, crankshaft, bearings ,seals, gaskets, piston/cylinder assembly, rear handle fuel tank assembly (with flip-style cap because the old-style screw in cap tank assembly is no longer available from Stihl), fuel & oil caps, all top plastic, muffler, wrap handle, starter/recoil with rope & elastostart handle, sprocket cover, rim sprocket assembly, clutch, oil pump, air filter, fuel filter & line, oil filter & line, etc. etc. etc. The only parts that are not new (that I know of) are the carburetor (It was rebuilt to factory specs) and the chain brake handle. The saw has been run for less than 20 minutes total since the build was completed with only 3 cuts made.
Q: Has the saw been repainted? Feb-11-10
A: Absolutely Not. No repainting or touch-up whatsoever."

Looks to me like it was pieced together from spare parts?

"Q: Why has the tank on the saw been replaced with one off of a MS440, having a twist lock fuel cap? Feb-13-10
A: The saw was built by a Stihl Tech from nearly all new Stihl parts. The following parts are new STIHL parts: crankcase, crankshaft, bearings ,seals, gaskets, piston/cylinder assembly, rear handle fuel tank assembly (with flip-style cap because the old-style screw in cap tank assembly is no longer available from Stihl), fuel & oil caps, all top plastic, muffler, wrap handle, starter/recoil with rope & elastostart handle, sprocket cover, rim sprocket assembly, clutch, oil pump, air filter, fuel filter & line, oil filter & line, etc. etc. etc. The only parts that are not new (that I know of) are the carburetor (It was rebuilt to factory specs) and the chain brake handle. The saw has been run for less than 20 minutes total since the build was completed with only 3 cuts made.

I was just fixing to post the question and answer. It was me that asked it. Should be a fine saw. I just don't like the mismatch of caps.

Back