Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I've been home for a few weeks recovering from surgery with not much to do so in my boredom I bought and sold a couple of saws, one modded and one stock. I have also been looking for stuff especially pics of muff mods cause that's probably the first thing I'm gonna do to my stock 346, but they are very hard to find on the site now at least for me and I've also noticed a couple of other guys looking for info on muff mods. So let's see if we can get an updated thread going on MM's.

No matter.

A free flowing muffler is the best bang for the buck saw mod you can do to that saw cat or not.

Even the non cat is very restrictive, but the cat waffer has to go, it gives off way too much heat.

I opened up a crimped muffler on my 250 and I never took any pics. That was a mistake.

If you get one with a cat then the best way to open it up is to uncrimp it. I wish all saws had bolt together mufflers, but I'm pretty sure re EPA had something to do with them going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried that on a cat muff from a 359,

The metal is so thin I gooned it up pretty good.

If I did another I would just split it with a cutoff wheel and gut it and weld it back together (Braze)

silver wire and the good (black) flux will stick nearly anything (except mag and aluminum)

020.JPG

There are other ways to get inside some of these mufflers beyond opening the crimp. You can cut a hole, use a drill and a die grinder to clean out internal baffles and then close it with a cover panel:
2013-02-03_13-46-14-800.jpg 2013-02-03_13-57-15-800.jpg
Permatex Ultra Copper works well for sealing the cover. I cut the cover panels from some SS sheet from an old microwave cover I saved.

Getting that cat 'waffer' out of the husky muffs requires splitting them.

It comes out like a big saltine cracker, leaving them in and bypassing with an exrta port behind the 'waffer' would still light it off and create too much heat.

I do like the idea of the 'access panel' though.

Getting that cat 'waffer' out of the husky muffs requires splitting them.

It comes out like a big saltine cracker, leaving them in and bypassing with an exrta port behind the 'waffer' would still light it off and create too much heat.

I do like the idea of the 'access panel' though.
Yeah that could be a problem. And you are right, I tried a total bypass of the cat in the Earthquake muffler but that cat still got smokin' hot.

On the mufflers like chris-pa posted.those are the redmax gz4000 style mufflers.the ryobi mufflers exactly the same and can be had for $6 or less.I took my original muffler of and ordered the cheap chinese muffler to mod.if I messed up wasnt too bad of a mistake.;)

I tried that on a cat muff from a 359,

The metal is so thin I gooned it up pretty good.

If I did another I would just split it with a cutoff wheel and gut it and weld it back together (Braze)
I've done that to a 353 muffler. It was alot of work. I know some saws have a non-cat muffler available but I'd cut another just because I like to tinker.

Latest posts

Back