Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question - I ordered a "modded muffler" from Husqvarna for 576XP ("modified"=544 03 02-02; standard=544 03 02-01), but the only difference I see, is that modded one has baffle (inner plate) removed. The exhaust hole looks to be the same size as the one on standard muffler. So question: does only removing the baffle increase power?

At some point I can across a thread where some said to used spaghetti to measure the area of the exhaust port, I thought it was pretty neat and did so on my 346.

I measured all my saws exhaust port opening just for reference. What works really well is pull piston up to block port spray with wd40 and squish playdough into form the shape.

Pull it out and set it on a piece of paper and you have the excact shape left from the oil staining the paper. I can assure you with the oil on the cylinder and piston none of the playdough is left behind.

Dunno 'bout them 'gills.

I do know a free flowing 359 just flat out gets it!

**** , when I joined here the 359 was the bang fer your buck champ.

But you had to open 'em up a bit, guess i didn't need to go any further eh?

1599.JPG

Putting this on a 670.
zujuvy8a.jpg

Dang Mo, bet that sounds good :rock:

If the cackle from that little orange mo-fo don't give a grown man wood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he must be dead?

That was me first attempt and yes she will sit and idle all day.

It had a screen but it blew out one day bucking a big Sycamore, I never replaced it.

Eight years, and she runs like a top, she goes nearly every time I go cuttin'.

A straight line is the shortest route eh?

Actually, the tubes extend far enough into the muffler that the initial exhaust impulse clears the top of them and hits the front of the muffler cover. My thought when deciding how long and how low to make the tubes was to let the exhaust still produce a little pressure inside the muffler before it found its way out. It's not as loud as you'd think either. I got som additional RPMs with this mod and retuned accordingly. I won't make up many figures but it's noticeably more grunty than stock. How do I know? It out cuts the 3 stock 460's of guys I cut with.

Is it even worth integrating a screen into the new exhaust muffler ports?

I have kept all the screens in every saw muffler i have opened. I more worried about crap getting into the muffler.

A screen will typically reduce the effective size of the opening it is stretched across by around 40%. I really don't like the removable screen design of most saws I see, including most "pro" saws, where the screen is just perched across the opening. Certainly it is convenient for cleaning, but also restrictive. The screens that are loosely wrapped around an internal baffle tube have much more surface area accessible and don't restrict much at all.

Latest posts

Back