Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Str8six

Str8six

ArboristSite Operative
What are you guys using for the tube outlets? I love the look of the double round outlets pointing forward and would love to do my 550XP and 395XP. Also, are you just welding them in or what?

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
What are you guys using for the tube outlets? I love the look of the double round outlets pointing forward and would love to do my 550XP and 395XP. Also, are you just welding them in or what?
I have .625" .750" and 1.00" pipe. I silver braze all my muffler mods that I do. I use silvaloy 45% silver and an acetylene torch. Cleanliness is next to godlyness when it comes to silver braze. Oh and a good flux too!

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
Here is some of my brazing work.
qepysana.jpg
ehe9u7em.jpg

adventurebob

adventurebob

monkeys and shakespeare, baby!
I appreciate the rationale discussion without the degradation into stupidity. I do have to say that Homelites mods are something I'd put on my 550. Very well done Sir, very well done.

weedkilla

weedkilla

Ain't no guru of nuthin'
My requirement is a spark arrestor, does anyone have any links to sources of arrestor screen or tubes?
Also I recall there was a source of oem style outlets that could be welded on for a secondary outlet. Any links?

TheLazyBFarm

TheLazyBFarm

ArboristSite Operative
I have .625" .750" and 1.00" pipe. I silver braze all my muffler mods that I do. I use silvaloy 45% silver and an acetylene torch. Cleanliness is next to godlyness when it comes to silver braze. Oh and a good flux too!

Home, any reason MM can't be MIG welded? I know that there is one TheChainsawGuy youtube video where he talks about bad MIG welding with loose weld wire getting into the engine etc., but what about a clean MIG weld job?

Thanks,

Lignator

Lignator

Swamp Yankee
My requirement is a spark arrestor, does anyone have any links to sources of arrestor screen or tubes?
Also I recall there was a source of oem style outlets that could be welded on for a secondary outlet. Any links?

you can buy a Husky 288 deflector and spark arrestor screen for less than $20.

Lignator

Lignator

Swamp Yankee
My latest MM: This is for a Husky 390xp that I picked up recently. I would like to open the stock port up more without altering the stock look of it. There is a lot of real estate to work with under there. Still working on that part of it. I too wanted to keep the ports screened. I sometimes cut in dry areas and have set moss ect on fire before. Also the screen helps keep chips out of the muffler.

390xp mm.jpg

390xp mm iso.jpg

390xp mm power head.jpg

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
Home, any reason MM can't be MIG welded? I know that there is one TheChainsawGuy youtube video where he talks about bad MIG welding with loose weld wire getting into the engine etc., but what about a clean MIG weld job?

Thanks,
Well I'd agree with him. You can do as you please but I have had way better results with braze as the muffler is furnace brazed from the factory! I'm no welder so I'll pass on mig for my mufflers.

TheLazyBFarm

TheLazyBFarm

ArboristSite Operative
Well I'd agree with him. You can do as you please but I have had way better results with braze as the muffler is furnace brazed from the factory! I'm no welder so I'll pass on mig for my mufflers.

Well of course you agree since you don't have a MIG. Duh.

I don't have the capability to braze.

So, the question still stands: Any reason you can't MIG - assuming you keep it clean or can clean it up afterwards?

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill

So, the question still stands: Any reason you can't MIG - assuming you keep it clean or can clean it up afterwards?
I do have a wire welder but its too thin for me. Weld away my friend, just make sure its clean inside. The other advantage to brazing is you can use to dissimilar metals.

Heilman181

Heilman181

ArboristSite Operative

I am no welder by trade, but I do a good job with mig welding. I have some black pipe that I am going to use for my next muffler mod. It measures .61" inside diameter. It is thicker walled pipe than anything else that I have seen on here. I just plan to get most of my heat in the weld focused on the pipe wall versus the muffler shell since the pipe is thicker.

Your weld gap should not really be big enough for excess wire to make it into the muffler to potentially break off and get inside the exhaust port on the cylinder. It sounds to me that someone needs to do a better job on the fitment side of things instead of trying to weld closed an air gap.

I vote for "give it hell" on the mig welder.

A.E. Metal Werx

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mig welding can be done. I AM a full time welder. You name it I can weld it. I won't mig weld muffler mods, not on the new cheap thin stuff that is. I've tig welded some and mig welded a few I will grab the silver solder any chance I can get over anything else. Just like anything out there there is a time and place for ever welding process and when it comes to muffler mods silver solder fits the bill for most if not all situations. 10 min job vs 20 or more plus a more factory cleaner look... Carry on.

Heilman181

Heilman181

ArboristSite Operative
Great to have an expert opinion!

mx_racer428, what is your reasoning for mig being your least favorite?

Is it structural, weld quality, etc.....?

When you say "new cheap thin stuff" what exactly does that mean? How "new" did the cheap stuff start appearing?

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill

When you say "new cheap thin stuff" what exactly does that mean? How "new" did the cheap stuff start appearing?

Thanks!

The reason we don't like Mig is because the metal is so thin that no matter what, you will blow holes in it and have nothing but a fantastic mess. We are by no means putting down a mig welder however there is better choices on real thin muffler material.

If you have your heart set on mig welding your muffler by no means don't let us stop you.

Heilman181

Heilman181

ArboristSite Operative
I don't have my heart set on it, but for me it is of easiest access. I have not brazed anything in 20 years. If I could brazed with an old coat hanger, I am sure that I could do it successfully.

I could pick up the silver rod, but my thing is that I am lacking the torch to do so.

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
I don't have my heart set on it, but for me it is of easiest access. I have not brazed anything in 20 years. If I could brazed with an old coat hanger, I am sure that I could do it successfully.

I could pick up the silver rod, but my thing is that I am lacking the torch to do so.

Yeah that really sucks when you don't have the one vital tool that you need.

A.E. Metal Werx

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks!

Mig welding can be done but it's more of a mess then The other options, tig welding can look good but boy does it eat up a lot of time. The silver solder just flows In the joint and that's about it. No real clean up compared to the mig, And not having to chance blowing a hole and chasing it for who knows how long. To me it's about how quick can I do the job done and what will look, work the best.

Latest posts