Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
562 with completely gutted muffler and screen, tig welded.

upyjy6e3.jpg

550 with completely gutted muffler and 1" stainless pipe with muffling gullets, silver soldered.

uqydaje5.jpg

Don't mind my dirty saws. They earn there keep.

Mig welding can be done. I AM a full time welder. You name it I can weld it. I won't mig weld muffler mods, not on the new cheap thin stuff that is. I've tig welded some and mig welded a few I will grab the silver solder any chance I can get over anything else. Just like anything out there there is a time and place for ever welding process and when it comes to muffler mods silver solder fits the bill for most if not all situations. 10 min job vs 20 or more plus a more factory cleaner look... Carry on.

Ok, no booger welds make sense to me. Too thin muffler metal also makes sense as well, ie. booger welds due to blowing thru.

Off to look on how to do brazing (aka: Babe, I need some tools!!!)

:)

What kind of silver rod are you guys using? Do you know an approximate cost?

I checked Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware with NO luck at all. I called the local welding supply house where I get my mig tanks and they had 15% silver brazing rod. They were 20" lengths and came in 1 lb. but they wanted $107.58. :eek:

for the dual pipe port guys. i like dual pipe ports. sounds and performs best :clap:. i got some more muff mods coming up if i don't get lazy :givebeer: 3120 just has one big pipe. pipes are just so much cooler then deflectors :cool:IMG_0153.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0218.JPG

I don't have my heart set on it, but for me it is of easiest access. I have not brazed anything in 20 years. If I could brazed with an old coat hanger, I am sure that I could do it successfully.

I could pick up the silver rod, but my thing is that I am lacking the torch to do so.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

You can 'mig weld a muffler IF you are going steel to steel and you have the proper (small) wire gauge.

Where silver solder (brazing) come into play is the capability to adhere (notice I didn't say weld) different materials together.

Homelite 410 is spot on, most muffs you will see are furnace brazed for a reason, the light guage metal is hard to 'weld' by other means.

One thing you can't do (at least I can't) is mig a copper pipe, brass stock or other non ferrous materials onto carbon steel!

059.JPG 479.JPG

Kind of hard to see in the pic, but the back 7-10 has a hand fashioned brass shim cover with double .38 'chrome 'shooters' silver 'brazed'.

7-10 001.JPG

Try that with a mig? My first (and last) muffler mod used a mig, yup I blew holes through the thin ****

I aint no pro, but if'n there was a tig in me shop, I would give it a whirl again.

Kind of hard to see in this pic, that back 7-10 has a hand fashioned brass shim stock cover with double chrome .38 'shooters.

7-10 001.JPG

My first (and last) muffler I used a mig on, yes I am not a pro welder, but am familiar with the process. It is hard to weld that thin of material with a mig. A tig would be more better.

1943.jpg

Silver solder (braze) works for me, your mileage may vary eh?

What kind of silver rod are you guys using? Do you know an approximate cost?

I checked Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware with NO luck at all. I called the local welding supply house where I get my mig tanks and they had 15% silver brazing rod. They were 20" lengths and came in 1 lb. but they wanted $107.58. :eek:

Maybe a well equipped pro welding shop will sell you a few sticks.

Maybe a well equipped pro welding shop will sell you a few sticks.

Look up 'silver solder' I am sure McMaster Carr sells it.

You could try a search of 'silver solder' on the bag too. It is small gauge wire.

A little dab will do it as long as your not trying to fill too big of gap.

And that migged one on the 359 would look better painted, flat black covers a lot of flaws.

What kind of bit do you use to cut the muffler metal, when widening the stock port? I have some bits that were giving to me that are good for porting. I just need something for harder metals.

Are they bits for aluminum or steel? Aluminum bits are generally more coarse, but you can use steel as long as you go slow so they don't plug up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I believe the are aluminum bits. I tried to use them before, but they kicked like it wasn't meant for that kind of metal.

Latest posts

Back