Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it pays to be civil to other bidders. On our large sales, the smaller operators who bid and lost, often end up logging it for the winner.

Be sure and read up on stewardship sales. Region 6 has a web page about them. I think...They take a little different thinking when putting together a bid/proposal. Here, you need to write a proposal describing how you plan to do the work, in addition to your bid. The loggers had never dealt with this kind of contracting and had to learn that writing a sentence something "We plan to log it and then do the work." was not sufficient. I think the FS put on some classes on how to write proposals.

Yes, it pays to be civil to other bidders. On our large sales, the smaller operators who bid and lost, often end up logging it for the winner.

Be sure and read up on stewardship sales. Region 6 has a web page about them. I think...They take a little different thinking when putting together a bid/proposal. Here, you need to write a proposal describing how you plan to do the work, in addition to your bid. The loggers had never dealt with this kind of contracting and had to learn that writing a sentence something "We plan to log it and then do the work." was not sufficient. I think the FS put on some classes on how to write proposals.

The Stewardship Sales were described like that to me by James the forester yesterday. He didn't mention the written proposal thing, but mentioned the logger telling the forester how they want to log it, and then the FS has to decide if they like it. I bet it is a written thing, and he just didn't mention it. What I like about some of our local Stewardship Sales, is they mix some pre-commercial thinning in with it... That way a guy can do part of the sale and get paid, instead of having to get paid from stumpage, and have all the operating costs on his dime upfront.

I don't know what would happen if the guy walked away being an FS job... They'd probably put it out for bid again.

I'd like to get some private sales... Most homeowners aren't logging their property right now. I could probably do a thin, and give them a share of the tonnage.

The most I could offer to pay them for their timber and slash would be 4 bucks a ton. Won't have a lot of people knocking my door down for that I reckon.

What would you pay a homeowner right now for hogfuel and pulp? I'm talking good sawlogs and veneer too... But sold at pulp and hogfuel prices.

I don't usually pay for wood. There is no hogfuel market, or bio-fuel market, or log market, I doubt there will be a firewood market this year either.

Most of the land owners want their properties to look like a park when I'm done, so I charge them for doing the job, and then charge them to haul the wood off. :)
I said I don't usually because right now I'm milling some log's that came off of a real good customers property last summer. They are claiming a tree farm, and need to show something on paper for the gubermint. We were going to haul them to the mill, and split what they brought, but all the mills decided to shut down permanently before we got them hauled. :censored:
Since I'm such a nice guy (and I didn't have anything else going on), I agreed to give them $25 a thousand if I could set up the mill on their property. Now I just hope I can peddle the lumber.

I'll never learn. :bang:

Andy

I don't usually pay for wood. There is no hogfuel market, or bio-fuel market, or log market, I doubt there will be a firewood market this year either.

Most of the land owners want their properties to look like a park when I'm done, so I charge them for doing the job, and then charge them to haul the wood off. :)
I said I don't usually because right now I'm milling some log's that came off of a real good customers property last summer. They are claiming a tree farm, and need to show something on paper for the gubermint. We were going to haul them to the mill, and split what they brought, but all the mills decided to shut down permanently before we got them hauled. :censored:
Since I'm such a nice guy (and I didn't have anything else going on), I agreed to give them $25 a thousand if I could set up the mill on their property. Now I just hope I can peddle the lumber.

I'll never learn. :bang:

Andy

I sure hope someone will buy your lumber! Hopefully someone locally is planning a remodel, and want to save some cash on lumber.

I sure hope someone will buy your lumber! Hopefully someone locally is planning a remodel, and want to save some cash on lumber.

Hahaha. Yep, someone local is remodeling their house. My wife is my best customer right now, but she dosen't pay too well.

OurHouseRemodel077.jpg

OurHouseRemodel071.jpg

OurHouseRemodel078.jpg

We're running out of places to use it though, so I hope someone starts another remodel soon. :cheers:

Andy

Hahaha. Yep, someone local is remodeling their house. My wife is my best customer right now, but she dosen't pay too well.

OurHouseRemodel077.jpg

OurHouseRemodel071.jpg

OurHouseRemodel078.jpg

We're running out of places to use it though, so I hope someone starts another remodel soon. :cheers:

Andy

Dang Andy! That looks real nice! I like the Herringbone pattern on the back wall there. That door looks fantastic as well! Did you run it through a router table and T&G the boards?

yeah andy,i got a full on remodel going right now i would like to look at what you have?but i am also rubbin two pennys together and it aint lightin up worth a ####!you down the street there?:monkey:

Dang Andy! That looks real nice! I like the Herringbone pattern on the back wall there. That door looks fantastic as well! Did you run it through a router table and T&G the boards?

Thanks, I did the T&G for the wall's & celing on a router table. The door is 1 3/8" so I did it on the table saw. The house is over 100 years old, we had to take it out all the way to the dirt (rock). So far I've milled every stick that went into it but 12 2x6's.

Andy

yeah andy,i got a full on remodel going right now i would like to look at what you have?but i am also rubbin two pennys together and it aint lightin up worth a ####!you down the street there?:monkey:

Come on over and take a look. It's our house below Scotty Gas. I'll be there tomorrow laying a little tile.

Oh, and I'm sure your credit is good, Bwahahahahaha.:eek:

Andy

good as it has ever been!i thought you were down here on chatauqua?who,s this other guy with the asv mastocator?

We're living on chautaugua right now, while we do the never ending remodel.
There's no way I'd tackle what we are doing to that house, and try to live there too.
Before my dad died, he told me that I couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I told him that I was just trying to make a nice leather bag. :laugh:

Andy

sorry for hijacking your thread metals, but took the loader to the beginning of the "stewardship unit"that will apparently prove our worthiness of further units?i think this is where the money is right now..at least here...

Last edited:
sorry for hijacking your thread metals, but took the loader to the beginning of the "stewardship unit"that will apparently prove our worthiness of further units?if these digits pan out things could definately be looking up!keep your eye peeled...

Oh yeah, this thread is about skidder's. I've got to learn to stay on topic. :bang:
Ok, I started my 440 Wednesday but just to keep the juices flowing cuz I didn't have nothing to skid. :cry:

Andy

sorry for hijacking your thread metals, but took the loader to the beginning of the "stewardship unit"that will apparently prove our worthiness of further units?i think this is where the money is right now..at least here...

Oh yeah, this thread is about skidder's. I've got to learn to stay on topic. :bang:
Ok, I started my 440 Wednesday but just to keep the juices flowing cuz I didn't have nothing to skid. :cry:

Andy

No sweat boys! :cheers:

All threads take the normal path of a common conversation... A little rabbit trail here and there. :)

bullbuck, I agree about the 'stewardship' thing 100%... Check out the one in the link below... Called "Hemlock Elk Fuels Reduction and Forest Health". I think that would be a sweat one to get... I have a call into the Planning Team Leader on that one to see if the sale went up for bid yet? I sure hope it hasn't!! http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/flathead/nepa/nepa.htm

that r.e.a. is huge!plenty of room to get a piece of that pie i would assume?you gotta skid those watersheds uphill though?:monkey:

That's the beauty with those sales... You get to tell them about all their bad ideas!! hahahaha

Latest posts

Back