Life in the tree..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the moment one thinks they know it all is the moment they have stopped learning and they have not learned it all, they have just learned all they ever want to learn. Anyone who thinks the natural sciences, to include Arboriculture, is a subject that can be learned to its entirety and then preached is by far ignorant of the field. I have many friends of which some are PHD's and they will testify that one can never know it all and you will never know anything unless you can open your mind to have your knowledge challenged by others.

-as for the use of proper scientific names, i FULLY endorse it, if the proper name is used there can be no argument as to what species is being discussed and honestly, it makes one look professional and I believe that is what we are looking for here isnt it fellow arborists', to bring a high level of professionalism to this field.

amen to that!!!!

i will never stop learning about arboriculture,,,there is too much to learn and know,,,

and i have been in this industry arboriculture/horticulture for over 11 yrs

and i do the actual tree work on a daily basis!!!!

very well said treeseer, it seems the longer im in this biz, the more I realize that I dont know squat!!(just scratchin the surface) but always willing to learn.................

Very true even after all these yrs the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

Beowulf, I have to agree with you in some respects too, I know guys that would think Quercus is a type of STD & when I told them what it meant they would probably smack me & say its a F@#$ing OAK Tree.

LMAO,funny but also :buttkick: very true

Your not a real tree guy unless you pee out of the tree. (make sure the groundies are out of the DZ) and have taken a dump in the back of the chip box. Camelbacks are great for big climbs not only for water, but for some chow and your MP3 player. I also use mine on cable and lightning pro jobs. You can stick all your thimbles, J-lags, pre-wraps, crimps and such in there and hang it off of a looprunner girth-hitched around a handy branch.

yeah i had the same problem when i started - Ive almost pissed my pants a few times!
I make sure i drink lots of water before i leave for work, & piss b4 i go up the tree. Also if you just skull down a big bottle of water youre body wont absorb all of it & you will piss the rest out. Its better to keep a smaller bottle with you & have a sip every now & then.

I think 7 hrs is too long to be in the tree.

stay safe m8

August...When Life in the Tree = Sweat and Pain

OMG.....Now that August is here is seems there's no relief from the heat.

It seems like I spend every night drinking as much as I can to get rehydrated. It does not matter how much you drink through the day, it isn't enough. I started drinking water as soon as I left the house this AM, and kept on drinking as much as I could all day. Took 8 hours to get 5 hours work done, cause it doesn't take long to get driven back to the shade and the water jug. By 3:45 this afternoon, the headache was coming on, and my muscles were cramping with every move. Time to pack it in. I hate having to go back, but I hate muscle cramps all night too.

Who else suffering from the heat and humidity?

Heat

It is very bad.

I typically take a water/sports drink break every 20-30 minutes.

I will have the ground ie send up a cold drink. Every time I complete a climb and come down we all sit down and drink and rest.

We have been knocking off at around 2:30 every day and we start running saws at 7AM.

But it is very taxing.

7 Hours in a white pine. Holy smokes. You must have had to rope every stick of that thing. Try this, anytime I know I have to be @ height for an extended period i carry a camel back full of 72oz of h2o wid me. You can find these things at your local bike shop. Sits real nice on your back out of the way.
Look into oversize pads and foot plates for your spikes as well.
have fun up there and BE SAFE!

Try this, anytime I know I have to be @ height for an extended period i carry a camel back full of 72oz of h2o wid me. You can find these things at your local bike shop. Sits real nice on your back out of the way.

Check out REI outlet and save yourself some money. You can even avoid shipping charges by opting to have the item sent to a store near you for pickup. They even have some 100oz. models.

Another cool, and I mean this literally, is if you have a hydration pack that has a wide screw off opening you can fill it with ice cubes and water, if its insulated it takes a while for all the ice to melt, but you can bite down on the bite valve and blow the bladder full of air and then point the valve at your face and neck and spray your self down with cold water when it gets a wee bit sweltering. Pretty cool huh???

Kenn

going along with the previous post...i recommend and do this daily in the summer...if you have a hydration pack, fill the pack with water and place the filled bladder in the freezer overnight. in the morning re-insert the bladder intot he pack and when you start working strap it on. the cool temperature from the ice penetrates the pack and your shirt and being it is along your spine will actually reduce your core temperature keeping you cool ALL DAY!!

bclure , I feel your pain down here in NC, It is very hot a humid 100+ this week alone... I did a 95+ft Dead White Oak the other week which Murdered my chains by the way, took me 4.5 hours in the tree had to block it down. I got dehydrated and got severe arm pump and cramps. I just did not take enough water brakes and only had a 16oz bottle in my hip bag. So i use my Camelbak mule for when I ride my Mountain bike, and plan to buy this model for climbing it has break away straps for saftey.. It is also high visablity for saftey check it out at Sherrill Tree..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back