Lifted TW6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joesell

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
I have a TW6 that feeds into an old hay elevator. I'm trying to raise the beam up about 6". I know some people put the splitter on car ramps or Jack's, but I'm a little nervous about what would happen if a split got wedged in the conveyor and rocked the splitter back. My kids sometimes split for me and they aren't always very observant. So me and a buddy got to brainstorming and we came up with bigger wheels. He offered up a set of 24.5" budd wheels and tires off a semi. They would stand almost 44" tall and would lift the axles up 14" or so. Only problem is I think they'll be in the way of the log lift. I also have a set of 17" truck rims with 32" tall tires on them. That sould give me an extra 10" or 12". That might be a better option but I'll have to fit it up to see. I know I have to make an adapter for the rims. Does anyone see a reason it wouldn't work, if it clears the log lift? This splitter will never be towed on the road. And I know I'll have to extend both legs as well.

Another up side is it should roll easier in the field.

Wood Hound

Wood Hound

ArboristSite Operative
The big wheels,will give you nothing but trouble-i had the TW 2 hd and it was built for little people...Went to HF,got jack stands,raised it 12 inch,but you need to be on a very hard surface..

Joesell

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
I split in a field, so no hard surface for jack stands. Setting the machine on a couple rims might work. Would be easier then modding a set of bigger rims/tires. I'm not stuck on this one idea. I'm open to anything that'll raise the machine and be safe against kick back.

As far as selling it goes, I can't imagine anything else would be faster then this for OWB splits. Except if I spent the $300ish for a true auto valve.

rancher2

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If you are a welder or know one may be time to cut the axle loose and use some tubing and raise the splitter up. Had a buddy that had a TW-6 and didn't like the working height of the splitter so that's what he did. He did reconfigure the log lift also.