Limbing saw.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther274

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I love my 2165 to death, but lord knows how much weight with a 22" and full gas and oil, anyway its getting to be a bit much for zipping off limbs. Im looking for a used saw in fair shape, maybe not even running. 40-50cc range, hopefully less than 10lb powerhead. What should I look for? I have been looking around, I was thinking about a 021, or maybe even a 011 or 012.?

Can I get some other opinions?

Thanks folks!

Lot's of us here swear by the Husky 346xp. I have a 346(oe) and I like it alot. Light and handy and plenty of power. I'm sure there are some other brands/models that will work. I also have an old Husky 36 that I've worked the crap out of over the years. Might find a good used one of those around.

Scott

If you are looking for a smaller lightweight limbing saw, good options are available in almost every price range.

The Ryobi 10532 - A nice saw in the low buck category.
The Stihl MS-211 - Ran one for a while yesterday and it was quite impressive for its size
Dolmar 420- One of my favorite saws that I DON"T own
Dolmar 401- One of my very favorite saws that I DO own. Mildly ported it's a workhorse.
The little Poulusky saws are good runners for the $$$
There are also many great saws in the top handle style that make nice limbers.
If the purchase isn't required immediately, go to a few GTGs and run a variety and see what suits you best!!!

Mike

Im looking for a used saw, hoping for a 14-16" bar and I would like to spend about 150$. I know husky 346xp is a great saw, but I cant justify the $ at this time.

Im looking for a used saw, hoping for a 14-16" bar and I would like to spend about 150$. I know husky 346xp is a great saw, but I cant justify the $ at this time.

try to find a Husky 435, they're a real nice saw for around $250 new. I have one and think it's a real runner for the size and money :)

I love my 346XP (oe) with narrow kerf chain for limbing. Very light, fast, smooth, and powerful for limbing. Best to keep it on wood less than 12" though I have run it plenty with a 20" bar buried but it's really not made for that. Had a chance to run a 346XP (NE) which was very nice, but felt very different to me. For limbing I prefer the old edition. For mixed work, the NE with 3/8 chain would be preferred, but then again for the bigger stuff I prefer a bigger saw like the 372.

+1 for the 346XP.
Start saving. There is no better bang for your buck.
That's the kind of investment that pays for its self.

I picked up a MS180c for free (straight gas victim) and a new Stihl motor off ebay for $60. Had fun removing and replacing the motor and have a cleaned and lightly rehoned back up motor that just needs a new $25 piston kit.

Just an idea that will fit most budgets.

I also use the Stihl MS180. At 8.8 lbs, you can use it all day, and it is a surprisingly strong limber for its size. Not bad for $200.

I also use the Stihl MS180. At 8.8 lbs, you can use it all day, and it is a surprisingly strong limber for its size. Not bad for $200.
Is that 180 made in China or the US?? I took my little woman to the saw shop with me a coupla weeks ago and she was looking at a 170 and a 180 trying to decide on one...she liked the 170 a lot. The guy was busy with another customer when we left and I never got a chance to ask him about those little saws being made in the US or somewhere else

As far as I know, they are NOT made in China. My dealer advised me that the 180 was much better than the 170 for the cost.

I love my 2165 to death, but lord knows how much weight with a 22" and full gas and oil, anyway its getting to be a bit much for zipping off limbs. Im looking for a used saw in fair shape, maybe not even running. 40-50cc range, hopefully less than 10lb powerhead. What should I look for? I have been looking around, I was thinking about a 021, or maybe even a 011 or 012.?

Can I get some other opinions?

Thanks folks!

A 242XP husqvarna is an excellent limbing saw, there's one on eBay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160418163778&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

:cheers:
Mike

If you can find a decent 346 within your budget, and have the dealer support in your area, they sure do get great reviews here. If I were in your shoes, I would look at a 021-026, something within those parameters.
I'm not brand loyal, but tend to prefer Stihl saws. I don't have the Husqvarna dealer support within the area as I do with my Stihl dealer- and that is the tipping point for me.

Latest posts

Back