"Limbing" Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I roll with a 2 saw plan. I have the MS-250 for small branches and brush work, and i drop the trees with a 076 super or 075. I also cut into firewood lengths everything over 12" with the big saws, the little ones are too slow for me. I get into a bunch of trees over 40", so big saws are a must.

May I ask if you are under or over 40.

At one time I could have used 076 as you do, but no more :(
A lighter 60cc or 70cc IMO will kick the 076's butt in around 22 inch and smaller wood.
I have 076 and that is how it is my case, anyway.
I see you like to work on them, if you get the chance find 044 or 046
that need work. You should have no trouble selling it if you see you
still like using that monster on 18 inch wood.

TT

hello, my name is Angelo. I cut for firewood. I sell firewood to support my chainsaw addiction. I have not bought a saw in 40 days.

whew, that's not easy to admit....that being said, if there is an opportunity to use 3 saws, well then by God I'll fire up three saws. One will be a 200t. A 200t makes the job fun. listening to that little SOB rip and snort is worth the price of admission( or addiction in this case). If the tree is big enough to justify the 6401BB or the 385xp well, I am smiling like a drunk sailor on a two week leave. Its shear nirvana if I can justify the 066 or (stop me from shaking) the 395.

For me, running a saw is fun, when it stops being fun, I'll start playing Golf.

hello, my name is Angelo. I cut for firewood. I sell firewood to support my chainsaw addiction. I have not bought a saw in 40 days.

whew, that's not easy to admit....that being said, if there is an opportunity to use 3 saws, well then by God I'll fire up three saws. One will be a 200t. A 200t makes the job fun. listening to that little SOB rip and snort is worth the price of admission( or addiction in this case). If the tree is big enough to justify the 6401BB or the 385xp well, I am smiling like a drunk sailor on a two week leave. Its shear nirvana if I can justify the 066 or (stop me from shaking) the 395.

For me, running a saw is fun, when it stops being fun, I'll start playing Golf.

Yes sir, them 200T's are good little rigs, I had to get myself
the MS200 rear handle to go with the 200T :)

I have said before, I will take so many saws with me that I won't
have any room for the wood. But I live on the land I cut on so it's no
big deal. I just go back with the MS200 in case I missed any small limbs.

TT

attachment.php
How about a 12 pound saw with a 14" bar?
How about an 11 pound ported saw with an 13" bar .325 8 pin?
attachment.php
I keep limbing and bucking with this one untill the logs get too big then switch to my big saw.

I usually bring a Ms 361 and a 290 and there are always a few loops of chain in truck. Those fence row pics from Va. evoke images of history. Best here If I limb w/ axe but usually use the saw. Branches on spruce are rarely over 3 or 4 inches. It is like falling telephone poles, most limbing occurs during skidding. Now if I use the 2095 red saw to fall and buck I may use something lighter after the big work is done. I have a large echo must be close to 10hp buried in a shed it has a few long bars and 404 chain. What is the biggest saw echo makes? I want to go dig it out but it is under a mountain of insulation.

I don't get it either Gary. People pay big money for muscle building supplements and workout equipment but AS members have limbing saws that weigh peanuts because 20 lb saws are too heavy LOLOL.

I think my 660 with a 32'' bar makes limbing pretty easy. I can see how limbing with an old big metal saw could get tiresome, but hopefully one would be cutting bigger timber with the old saw, the increased adrenaline dose from the big logs would cancel out the heaviness of the big saw. .

You can definetly tell some of the rough age groups of the posters, lol.
Wait until you hit 50, you'll tend to use those big boys less and less.
I tend to use the smallest saw I've got that will get the job done.
The 660 has become the least used of the saws I have. Although we need its size and power occasionaly, the 044 or 361 will get about 90 percent of what we do done with ease. Here in our area a two saw plan would fit the needs of most. A really good 60cc saw (361) or 70cc (044/372/7900) and a trim saw like a 346xp/ 260/ 211 sized saw for little stuff and fence rows.

I don't get it either Gary. People pay big money for muscle building supplements and workout equipment but AS members have limbing saws that weigh peanuts because 20 lb saws are too heavy LOLOL.

I think my 660 with a 32'' bar makes limbing pretty easy. I can see how limbing with an old big metal saw could get tiresome, but hopefully one would be cutting bigger timber with the old saw, the increased adrenaline dose from the big logs would cancel out the heaviness of the big saw. .
Have you been drinking like me?Bring your big old 660 with it's big old bar over sometime and help me limb a few 70/80 foot red oaks with 50" crowns.You will be crying to your moma in no time and I will have them done in half the time:hmm3grin2orange:I waste as little wood as I can and most of the trees I cut have alot of branches.
attachment.php
This is one of the smaller red oaks I cut down and I take them down to the size of my thumb and burn it for heat.When I cut pulp wood I used one saw and went down to 3" but that was work and what they wanted.

I have said before, I will take so many saws with me that I won't
have any room for the wood. But I live on the land I cut on so it's no
big deal.

Same here.
I just like to run different saws. Run one out of fuel, grab another.
I find myself wanting to go cut more often now that I have many saws to run.:)
I do tend to use a smaller saw to limb, unless I'm just really liking whatever is in hand at the moment.

I tag team my saws.It gives them all a run out, and it doesnt tire me out as quick.
If theres some walking, then i pick the smallest saw i can get away with to get the job done.

I have access to some standing dead Oaks that I'll be falling this weekend (if they're still there), and I'll try doing the whole tree with the 044. Don't know why I haven't tried before.

Turns out I only had time to do 1 tree, and it filled up the 83" x 18' (w/24" high sideboards) car hauler trailer. I was looking at another smaller tree to fall and buck, but the darkness would have caught me, and I was probably already overloaded for my 1/2 ton...next weekend I'll get another load. Anyway, I used the 044 with 20" bar for everything. I think the 260 will be spending more time in it's case if I start a tree with the 044.

Kevin

Back