"Limbing" Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
I see this mentioned all the time here. I'd never heard the term until I came to this site some time ago.

So my query is... do some cats actually fall a tree with a large saw (say a 60cc plus)... and then shut that one down... and then start up a smaller saw to "limb" the tree... and then shut that one down... then start a large saw again to buck the tree into the desired lengths?

Makes no sense to me...

I'm not talkin' about monster trees here either...

Gary

I do. I use my Echo CS-60S for 80% of the work then pick up my stable of little Echos and cut up the limbs up until i need the bigger saw again. I have done it like that for 30 some years...Bob

The limbing saw theory is a good one & I tried it. Didn't last though. I usually drop em with the 268 or 288 & keep that saw goin till it needs fuel. Then I just grab the other thats already fueled up & ready. Yes I have a good "limbing saw", but it rarely gets put in the truck anymore.

This site is the first I've ever heard of a "Limbing Saw"...

I drop a tree and cut it up with one saw, usually. If it's a big mutha, I might fell it and buck the butt log with a bigger saw, but cut the rest with a smaller saw, is rare though.

Depends on the job.

Im pretty happy with the 371/372 with a 24" bar on it. Good falling/bucking saw. And then zip the limbs off and dont have to bend over.

But monster trees I really like running the 394. But 350 is the smallest worksaw and only really use it for small thinning. Like 1-5" trees

Gary,

If you saw some of the overgrown bushes we have to deal with out here in farm country, you would understand putting down the 066 in favor of an 036 or 7-10 McCulloch or 2050 Jonsered to deal with some of the tops.

I generally take 2 or 3 sws for a tree cutting job and find the smaller ones get more use that the bigger ones due to all the handling, over head work (even with the tree on the ground there is a lot of material over your head), etc, etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I do. If it's a big tree, I'll use 3 saws. I'll drop it with the 440 or 066, limb it with the 346/261, buck most of it with the 440, and the buck the biggest with the 066. Of course if it's a small three, then the 346/261 will do all of it.

I got one saw. I fell trees with it. Then I limb them with it. No need for an extra saw just for limbing.

My limbing, bucking and falling saw was a modded 880 for a little over two weeks, a month or so ago. Full manufacture to, you can say I felt it a little more at the end of the day, LOL.

Look at it this way, if your saws are easily accessible (I wouldn't pack 2 or 3 saws very far from the truck) why not?

26" tree, drop it with a 660, limb most with the JD 62, then cut up the small stuff w/ one of my 35cc saws. Then mill most of it with a 660.

If your already afflicted with CAD why not run the saws, if your not why are you here? :)

Gary,

If you saw some of the overgrown bushes we have to deal with out here in farm country, you would understand putting down the 066 in favor of an 036 or 7-10 McCulloch or 2050 Jonsered to deal with some of the tops.

I generally take 2 or 3 sws for a tree cutting job and find the smaller ones get more use that the bigger ones due to all the handling, over head work (even with the tree on the ground there is a lot of material over your head), etc, etc.

Mark

On those monsters I can completely understand Mark. So I guess the term "limbing" saw depends on the trees.

I use whatever saw I happen to fall the tree with... Usually an 044.

Gary

I'm not going to drag two saws through the brush. thank you. More work than bumpin with a big saw. I'd think 'landing saw' fits the bill for some saws, 'limbing saw' just sounds like it's not good for anything else. Noted exceptions, municipal work, easy access to your gear, with a tree that calls for it.

On those monsters I can completely understand Mark. So I guess the term "limbing" saw depends on the trees.

I use whatever saw I happen to fall the tree with... Usually an 044.

Gary

Yes it does depend on the tree. For small pulp trees the 346 and similar saws are the felling, bucking and limbing saw. Around these parts the 357xp is a very popular saw because the trees don't get very big. Back home with the hardwoods there is no way I can drop a tree with a 357 but I don't want to limb with a big saw either. So the definition of limbing saw is definitely tree, job and terrain dependent.

:cheers:

Zach - I thought you would have better manners that than, wait till I tell Joe what you said about us.

Gary - understand that I am just a firewood cutter, so a tree like the first one shown gets cut up right down to the kindling. My wife expecially likes to have a lot of the little stuff since she frequently forgets to check the fire and needs something to get it going again.

Also keep in mind that I am not trapsing through the woods, if I can't drive up to a tree there's little sense in my cutting it for firewood since I'm not going to be packing it out one piece at at time.

When the occasion calls for it, I can even use the SP125 on some of these projects.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's not my Wild Thing, homeowner was using that in favor of his Husky 455 Rancher or something like that.

Mark

Last edited:
Maybe im wrong but i think we are talking about 2 different things here. loggers mostly use one saw to fell limb and buck into logs. firewood cutters use multiple saws to fell cut limbs into firewood , and then cut the trunks into firewood.

If im in the woods dropping trees for logs or firewood trees to skid out i use my 046 24''. If im cutting firewood i bring a few different saws for cutting different size wood.

Back