"Limbing" Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fell a pretty good size locust last saturday and I used my 2188 and 346.
But that was more fun for me than anything. I dont burn wood and Im not in the loggin business so its just pure sport/fun for me. Now I see your point I really do. when growing up we had only the 08S until I was about 17-18 years ols and we used it for everything. There was no way we would have ever had more than one saw in the entire household. Didnt much matter anyways to me as my job bustin everything with a go devil. LOL

I usually drop em with the 268 or 288 & keep that saw goin till it needs fuel.

This is kind of how I do it too. Most trees I drop are small enough for my 036 so I'll usually start out with it to drop the tree, work with it until it needs fueling (or i shut it off for some reason) then grab the other saw (my 5100, or 262) then at some point switch off again (usally when one needs fuel or sharpening).

I have 2 smaller "limbers" (4620 and Super2) but I usually only use them for specific tasks (i.e. very small saplings or climbing). My wife uses these 2 at times.

I have my Stihl 460 with a 25"-28" bar for most of the bucking. The Husqvarna 390xp with 32" bar is for the really big jobs. The smaller Stihl 031 with 16"-18" bar gets the smaller stuff.

Just so it is said - stating that a saw is very good for limbing isn't the same as stating that it "just" is a limbing saw.

The idea of buying a cheap small saw for "just limbing" never made any sense to me. :givebeer:

I generally take 2 or 3 sws for a tree cutting job and find the smaller ones get more use that the bigger ones due to all the handling, over head work (even with the tree on the ground there is a lot of material over your head), etc, etc.

Mark

+1 !

If you have a bad back like myself, you don't want to tote a big saw around all day. And these little screamers can do wonders with a sharp chain :)

I'll use a +70cc only for falling and cutting up the stem. But I am the firewood joe that cuts up a tree once a year...:pumpkin2:

For me it depends on the roads and how close I can get the truck to the tree. If I have used the 660 or the cursed 090 to fell the tree then I will grab a smaller saw to limb with. Lately most of my work has been with my son Cody and it's a 2 hour drive to the site. There will usually be 4 saws plus a climbing saw in the back of the truck. I'm lazy so I want the lightest saw that will do the job.

If I have to hike in then the 660 magically becomes a limbing saw.

I think a "fencing" saw is a better term, as I use a small saw for clearing fence rows out. :cheers:

That does make sense, but I use 35cc saw for that, or I should say.
Thats what I use to maintain fence's (keeping them clean) MS180 or MS200

TT

Interesting thread. I'm a firewood cutter, and until lately, all my cutting was done on downed trees. The 260 was for cutting up the small stuff and limbing, and the 044 was for the larger parts of the trunk. I've never thought about using the 044 for everything. So far my cutting is done close to the truck (I like to be close to the truck and trailer since I load manually), so the extra saw is always close. I have access to some standing dead Oaks that I'll be falling this weekend (if they're still there), and I'll try doing the whole tree with the 044. Don't know why I haven't tried before.

I will say, that on a HOT and humid day here in the south, using the 260 can be a nice change...but I find if I'm to the point where the 044 is starting to feel 'heavy' and I am starting to get 'sloppy', the heat is getting to me and it's time to shut'er down cause using ANY saw is dangerous.

Kevin

Spreading oaks

There have been many houses heated just from the limbs on these east
of the Mississippi after trunks were logged. Guys who cut pecker poles
wouldn't understand. I have used a 4200 for a "limbing saw" and filled
trucks & trailers with "limbs".

I kinda see Garys point,

If you have a saw in your hands, why put it down to grab another?

I have dropped many tree's with my 133, then proceeded to limb them.

But on the brushy open field tree's around here it does make the job far more pleasant with a 50cc.

Around here a limbing saw can be using with one hand while topping a standing tree.

Different strokes for different folks.......apples & oranges.....a tool for every job.......

Timbering, fireline work and rest of the backcountry stuff, one versitile saw w/spare bits to keep it going does it all. Arborist work, farm/yard work where the truck/tractor carrying your gear is nearby...whatever floats your boat. Heck, I think I've used as many as four saws on a single take down before.:dizzy:

Firewood gathering floats in between for me. Usually take two saws but generally don't swap saws on each stem, just pick the appropriate one for the job. Fell, limb, buck. Storm work, I definitely want a light, FAST and ergonomic saw. Limbing saw? Maybe, but who likes labels??:jester:

I think it comes down to different jobs require different strategies and training. What works for the PNW feller may not work for the mid-west hedgerow firewood gatherer. Niether one is wrong. Use what works for you. Just my take...........for whatever that's worth.:cheers:

Back