Limbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If it's available I find I tend to grab the little 360 for the small stuff.
If I'm away from home I dance with the one I brought.

i run what i "brung"

either 440 w/25" or the 361 w/25"

cutting post oak after post oak after post oak
and some pecan every now and then

and i clearcut cedars for landowners

Last edited:
used to use a crapsman 42cc to limb with, Now it's mostly a MS250. I will use the 036 pro sometimes too. Use rs chain on it and usually an 18 inch bar. The 250 has an 18 inch bar and rsc chain. I understand you cannot buy the rs chain anymore. Glad i bought several loops a while back.

Myself, and everybody I run saws with limb with whatever we fall the tree with... Usually an 044/440 or an 046/460 with a minimum of a 28" bar. Most times we are walkin' the spar to limb the tree... so longer bars are the norm to save the back.

Gary

Stihl 090 with a 60" bar with skip chain for falling and limbing:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :jawdrop: :monkey:

You guys are all whimps with your 16 inch bars.:greenchainsaw: :kilt:

Last edited:
Me, I like to pick up different saws and NO I don't cut for a living so I really enjoy cutting with different size saws. I limb with a MS200 w/14" bar(rear handle) and just love how quick and light this saw is; sometimes I just forget to pickup my 361(modded) until I'm into 10"+ wood.

I love both of these saws and am saving for the 1/3 part of my trio; a 460. It make take some time but I'll get it.

In the mean time - I'm real happy with these two as my main saws. :popcorn:

Myself, and everybody I run saws with limb with whatever we fall the tree with...

Gary

Agreed, so for me that's usually a 440 or a 372 with a 28" bar, or whichever saw I pick out of the herd (that runs!). I absolutely love using my older 346xp with a 16" bar for the smaller stuff, though. With a sharp chain, that thing is a laser.....

MS260, running a 16" bar and 3/8's RSC or RSLK.

Playing with an 036 running an 18" bar and 9-pin .325 it's quite the zipper but I still like my light weight.

MS180 with full chisel chain. It's fast and light. Once I get up to about 3" I'll opt for the 260 and then at about 6" go for the 361. I may skip the 260 and go straight from the 180 to the 361. Of course all of that is nothing more than preperation for draggin' out the 460 and 066 for the bucking:clap:

Brad, with all those saws taking up space in the ute how much wood do you bring home?

Sorry I forgot you guys run trucks!:)

limbingsaw

Dolmar 110i .325´ 8pin- 43cc 15 inch bar lightwight and low vibes and old.
Cheers vincent

What is your favorite limbing saw? What bar and chain do you run? What types of wood do you cut?
I use my Mini Macs for limboing, up to 4", and once the brush is off I useually go to the Mac 10-10 Automatic, and depends on the sized diameter of the log part, I usually use my Pro Mac 60, up to 18" in Diameter. Bigger than 18" I use my Pro Mac 700, with the 24" bar. Bruce

I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way...

But... do you guys really use 2, 3, and even 4 saws for one job? Depending on the size of the tree/spar/branches?

I cannot think of one time in my entire 40 years of falling trees on this planet where i switched saws from falling, to limbing, to bucking...

I just don't get it...

Gary

I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way...

But... do you guys really use 2, 3, and even 4 saws for one job? Depending on the size of the tree/spar/branches?

I cannot think of one time in my entire 40 years of falling trees on this planet where i switched saws from falling, to limbing, to bucking...

I just don't get it...

Gary

I use the same saw when I do it the same day, usually.....

Latest posts

Back