Limbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way...

But... do you guys really use 2, 3, and even 4 saws for one job? Depending on the size of the tree/spar/branches?

I cannot think of one time in my entire 40 years of falling trees on this planet where i switched saws from falling, to limning, to bucking...

I just don't get it...

Gary
No Problem Gary. I have injured my back 7 years ago, so have to take the easy way out. I never used to take so many saws to the bush with me, like I have to now. I use my smallest to biggest all the time now. Prior to my Injury, I always limbed with my Pro Mac 60, because it was faster cutting with it than my Mac 10-10 Automatic, and the bigger stuff over 20" I used my Pro Mac
700. I just took the Mac 10-10 along just in case I got the other 2 pinched, and had to cut the other saws out of the pinch. Bruce.

But... do you guys really use 2, 3, and even 4 saws for one job? Depending on the size of the tree/spar/branches?

I cannot think of one time in my entire 40 years of falling trees on this planet where i switched saws from falling, to limbing, to bucking...

I just don't get it...

Gary

I tend to use my MS260/16" from about 10" or 12" on down and then grab whatever other saw(s) I brought for the bigger stuff.

I usually keep a 20 bar on my 044 and whatever the largest part of the tree requires on the MS460 (24", 28", or a 32")

If it goes bigger than the 32" can handle in one pass I go to the 084 and a 36" or 48" bar.

My back's not what it used to be (I'm sure you can understand now) so I don't like to carry more weight than is necessary to get the job done.

No Problem Gary. I have injured my back 7 years ago, so have to take the easy way out... ...Bruce.

My back's not what it used to be (I'm sure you can understand now) so I don't like to carry more weight than is necessary to get the job done.

My back is shot too... I haven't run a saw in almost a year... prolly half the reason it is shot is because of usin' the same heavy a$$ saw to do the entire job... Maybe I'm learnin' somethin' here... :laugh:

Gary

I cannot think of one time in my entire 40 years of falling trees on this planet where i switched saws from falling, to limbing, to bucking...

I just don't get it...

Gary

When we are working, we usually have 3 to 4 guys total. Depending on the job you're doing, you pick the saw that fits the bill. But it is easy because they are all in the truck, not far from where you are working.

If I am working away from the truck I pick the 440 or a similar 70+ cc saw. Maybe a little big for limbing but I don't have to bend over as much (I am 6' 5") so it balances out and I don't find myself under powered if I need to fall or buck.

Fred

361 with a 16"

Everything smaller runs out of steam...

I might drop the 353 back to .325 to see if runs better.

I just don't get it...

Gary

I must agree. I have and run different size saws. When my job is to limb trees, I use the 180 that day. When my job is to fell I use the 361 with 25 inch bar. When my job is to buck logs its the 361 with the 18inch bar. If I had to process the entire tree all at one time I would use the 361 with the 18inch bar. Thats just me:)

To be truthful, my 361 18" is the go-to saw. The 026 was my first saw, and i love it. the 064 is obviously for the big stuff. I really do swap saws throughout a day of cutting. The main reason, however, is that I just like playing with different machines. If I ran saws for a living I know it would be different, but I cut wood for firewood and side jobs, so its more about the fun aspect to me. I own the saws I have because I WANTED them. A persone like me really only needs 2 saws in my opinion. Sooo, I have 2 backups for each saw...LOL.

Woods ported 036 16" rs bar 3/8 running a 9 pin , walkerized muffler & wojo front cover . 3-10" stuff anything smaller gets left ,larger than that I pick up a bigger saw. :chainsaw:

You were limbing with the "Termite"? :dizzy:

HA! :laugh:

BTW... the "Termite" is no more... it was sold at the Buckley Log Show this year, and the money was donated to the "Busted Up Loggers Fund"...

The 2 gentlemen that bought it renamed it and are going to compete with it. Hated to see it go... but I can't run it anymore.

Gary

I typically use two saws for most removals. I use my 020 or ms 200 t to do the limbing and all wood up to about 12-14" then I switch to my bigger 460 which takes care of everything bigger. As a climber I would not want to use a big saw for the whole tree as it seems a bit much for the limbs. Plus the 200 allows for one handed operation and that helps when you run your own rope. IMHO

I just don't get it...

Gary

I take 2 - just in case of a pinch...it is also nice to use a light saw limbing on uneven ground...like where I normally cut.

Back