List a saws design flaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl MS210/230/250 air filter mounting design. The two clips that hold on the air filter always break the first time you take it off.

Any saw that has the chain brake or chain adjuster in the clutch cover.

I'd say any plastic parts on a magnesium saw. They are the parts that always break and are the hardest ones to find.

Sorry, that may have been a bit too general.

Early Jonsered electronic ignitions (49-52's) the coil and plug wire came out of the starter cover assembly, while the trigger unit wire came out of the flywheel, they where connected between the covers by a metal spring loaded contact on each cover. Vibration, dirt, moisture effected the contact points and the springs would get weak. This would all contribute to erratic ignition problems. When we ran these saws they all had this issue sooner or later. I guess the engineer thought no one was capable of unplugging a small connector! Crazy swedes

I think sometimes the powdercoat paint job on the Stihl bars reduces the oil hole a bit, perhaps enough to restrict oil flow.

Could be on some bars, but the center of the hole was way off. Like I said, not a big deal I just drilled the hole 2 drill sized bigger then used a larger bit to gently taper the opening.

This was on an MS390, and after opening the clutch cover on my newly acquired MS460 I can see that the design is different, and the metal plate that rests beside the case on the MS460 makes this problem less of an issue, but with the way the MS390 is setup, the problem becomes more pronounced.

The 395's front style chain tensioner. Not really a design flaw, but trying to use a long barrel scrench to tighten the chain is just aggravating.

To get the carb. off of a 5100s and get the intake boot assm. back on with out removing the cylinder is something a magician would have trouble doing. Once you know the procedure it's not bad, but compared to the Huskys and Stihls it's just down right ridiculous.

I really do not like the air filter system on my 361. It seems to me like there is more fine stuff getting through to the carb than there should be.

The EPA mandates design flaws now days, so the real flaws happening on new saws won't get fixed anyway.

Don't know if it has allready been said, but any rubber av mounts are a flaw. The new springs syles are the way to go.

Where to start........

To remove the 036 intella carb, you must take off the black handle backing

Any saw with a molded flywheel key

361 tank vent placement and the cheap plastic cover always falls out

051/075/076 starter assembly is attached by 4 bolt, way too much weight for the small bolts and they ended up stripping

088 muffler assembly- Don't fix it if it isn't broken......steel inserts in the muffler strip out because the muffler is aluminum

200t/020t intake boot- prone to ripping because it is exposed in the front. Don't they realize these are used in a tree and are always getting smacked and drug around?

Husky oilers drip, drip, drip, drip

Husky 350 muffler only held up by 2 small bolts/studs, they strip out or become loose and melt the rest of the saw

Chain brakes and chain adjusts in the side cover

Newer Dolmar clutch covers are weak!!

Shindaiwa 450 fuel line and carb linkage are pain!!

Stihl oiler tubes are a pain, much better when it goes through the crankcase

Any saw with fixed jets

More to come when I think of them........

Let me start by saying that I love my dolmar 7900. It is a real wood cutting beast. But there are a few minor issues that I feel could bo better.

1. The air filter sucks. Everyone knows that.

2. The two little metal clips that hold the air filter cover on (tooless removal) always fall off. They hold the cap on great, but when the cap is off, they don't like to stay clipped to the saw very well.

3. The chain tensioner is weak. The origional one lasted about a year. Was upgraded under warrenty to the better one, but it feels weak. Like if I try to give it too much, it feels like the gears will strip.

4. There is something about the oil cap. Fill with new oil, snug cap, and next time you go to fill up, the cap is extremely tight. Need the scrench 90% of the time to get it back off.

5. Lastly, it has too much power. Which makes me run a bigger bar than I need, just because I can, and it takes longer to sharpen than the 20" bar I run on the 266.

The Stihl MS210/230/250 air filter mounting design. The two clips that hold on the air filter always break the first time you take it off.

I've been lucky, but from the get go I thought they looked fragile and have been careful.

Carb box cover doesn't always set back on right. When locking it back in place, sometimes master control switch won't switch to stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back