List of Pro Saw Models - References

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any single definitive list which indicates history of pro saw models and dates of manufacture? Do any delineate between pro vs homeowner or vs. occasional use throw-away models?

Other than

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView
which is great, I still see no indication in typical saw information pages about whether the saw is a pro-level saw, homeowner, or disposable.

I know manufacturer's websites indicate levels of saws, but what about older saws which are not on these lists?
How is one to know the build level of a saw if they see one, or look it up?
Tribal knowledge?

Nate

Is there any single definitive list which indicates history of pro saw models and dates of manufacture? Do any delineate between pro vs homeowner or vs. occasional use throw-away models?

Other than

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView
which is great, I still see no indication in typical saw information pages about whether the saw is a pro-level saw, homeowner, or disposable.

I know manufacturer's websites indicate levels of saws, but what about older saws which are not on these lists?
How is one to know the build level of a saw if they see one, or look it up?
Tribal knowledge?

Nate
It`s a lifetime of acquired knowledge.

I think the Husqvarna 40 and 45 are more or less homeowner grade saws, they are clamshell design and mostly plastic, about the same construction as a Poulan Wild Thing. The Stihl 029 is also clamshell design, most of us think the clamshell saws are not PRO saws. Also the 170 and 180 Stihl.

Threw up a list in another post.
A new project, a work in progress.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/pro-saw-model-list.363477/

In my opinion- there is an awful lot of saws on your new "list" that don't make the pro list- some are dubious consumer grade!
All the earlier Stihl saws on your list are missing the 0 of the 3 number model designation- that will just confuse the heck out of normal folk- and what is a Husqvarna 2165 listed after the 2101's?

If you are going to try to compile a reference list- the information has to be 100% correct or it leads to misrepresentation and false claims- my MS170 was on a pro saw list, must be a pro saw!
There are glitches on Acres site for some models and thats a lifetimes worth of work.
Not knocking you intentions, just pointing out it is not an easy task to take on- worse when you take on some of the lesser known manufacturers.

I think the Husqvarna 40 and 45 are more or less homeowner grade saws, they are clamshell design and mostly plastic, about the same construction as a Poulan Wild Thing. The Stihl 029 is also clamshell design, most of us think the clamshell saws are not PRO saws. Also the 170 and 180 Stihl.
Indicated saws removed...work in progress.

I think you also had the husqy 435 as a pro model. I can assure tou the rear handle model is not close to pro. No comment on the top handle version, but I'd assume it's the same crap clamshell design as the rear handle version.
40 and 45 were on the list as well- they are just a Partner based embarrassment on the Electrolux stable of tradition- never I mean NEVER pro grade. :laugh:

I think you also had the husqy 435 as a pro model. I can assure tou the rear handle model is not close to pro. No comment on the top handle version, but I'd assume it's the same crap clamshell design as the rear handle version.
Removed

Yes, this could get personal. I have a dream...

I want a list - it won't have to be an exhaustive one, but a list. It will be for newcomers like me or even collectors to know which models were intended by the manufacturer for daily, hard, professional use. Years ago I suffered with a cheap plastic Husqvarna and a cheap disposable Poulan. Never again, even for occasional use. When I look for a used saw, or see one on a forum for sale, I want to know where it falls in the lineup.

I am looking over the Stihl manual page, opening each .pdf on the list. Some manuals specifically state "occasional use". These obviously won't be on my final list. That will be one easy criteria/method for eliminating certain saw models from the list.

Starting with Husqvarna and Stihl. May have to post on another site in another way, likely on my own site. This site has limits for text length, for instance.

In my opinion- there is an awful lot of saws on your new "list" that don't make the pro list- some are dubious consumer grade!
All the earlier Stihl saws on your list are missing the 0 of the 3 number model designation- that will just confuse the heck out of normal folk- and what is a Husqvarna 2165 listed after the 2101's?

If you are going to try to compile a reference list- the information has to be 100% correct or it leads to misrepresentation and false claims- my MS170 was on a pro saw list, must be a pro saw!
There are glitches on Acres site for some models and thats a lifetimes worth of work.
Not knocking you intentions, just pointing out it is not an easy task to take on- worse when you take on some of the lesser known manufacturers.
I found a way to add zeros in front of numbers in Excel.

Nate

This is one of those threads that could spiral out of control and last 100 pages lol. I want someone to clearly define what a "Pro" saw is, but you have to apply that definition to saws manufactured only within the last 60 years (just to keep it simple hahahaha).

Have at'r boys and girls..
The pro designation should have been listed by the manufacturer.
Using features like mag case and bolt on cylinder wouldn't necessarily work in all circumstances. The ms 192/3t is considered a pro saw but isn't a mag case/removable cylinder.
Which is why I stated the rear handle 435 isn't a pro saw, but I don't know about the top handle version.

Latest posts

Back