Log splitter kinetic or hydraulic??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is that? i assume its harder in cylinder because of pressure to move to the side. wouldn't the wedge have to be on the cylinder if the splitter can be used vertical?
Because "fixed wedge" splitters get the job done faster, with less handling of the wood.

There are better ways to handle splitting big rounds than vertical splitting, or even splitting them with a chainsaw, I choose to do it a better/easier way.....and that is to cut my wood to length, over a wagon in the first place. Then roll the wood onto it's beam. It's just MUCH easier that way, with much less manual handling of the rounds to get the job done...

SR

I love splitting wood in peace and quiet. I see the appeal of the big hydro splitters, but personally, when I buy a splitter it'll be an electric Super Split. I really like the idea of a fast cycle and an almost silent machine.

Because "fixed wedge" splitters get the job done faster, with less handling of the wood.

There are better ways to handle splitting big rounds than vertical splitting, or even splitting them with a chainsaw, I choose to do it a better/easier way.....and that is to cut my wood to length, over a wagon in the first place. Then roll the wood onto it's beam. It's just MUCH easier that way, with much less manual handling of the rounds to get the job done...

SR
Glad that works for you. For me, what you describe still requires getting it up high in the first place, which as a mostly one man operation I have not the strength nor the equipment to accomplish in either log or large round form. So I am also in the vertical camp until I get it small enough to lift. As someone said above, different strokes...

SR

Your situation is not a universal one. I have less handling with my wedge on ram & h/v splitter, in my situation.

The other nice feature about the wedge on the end is that you can back whatever you are putting the wood into up to the splitter and the wood being split will keep pushing the splits into the trailer, truck, wagging, cart, etc . Or even onto a conveyor. I've used several brands and models of splitters and it seems like the ones with the wedge on the ram are more or less homeowner units. Not to say they won't process your wood, just not as practical or productive in my opinion.

The other nice feature about the wedge on the end is that you can back whatever you are putting the wood into up to the splitter and the wood being split will keep pushing the splits into the trailer, truck, wagging, cart, etc . Or even onto a conveyor. I've used several brands and models of splitters and it seems like the ones with the wedge on the ram are more or less homeowner units. Not to say they won't process your wood, just not as practical or productive in my opinion.

I have both types, my wedge on the ram, splitter just sits. I think it's headed to my nephew...

Yup... "fixed wedge" splitters are just plain faster and with less handling of the splits... Yes they do, usually they cost more, but for ME, it's worth it to save time and save my BACK!

SR

If I run a wedge on ram splitter in the vertical position for a long time I wouldn't be able to stand up straight afterwards, because my back would be so sore. I like fairly high horizontal splitters with fixed wedges. I've run a tw5, tw6, an American that had a 6 second cycle time (forget the model), 3 different supersplitters including my own and a tsc knockoff. All had fixed wedges. The vertical/horizontal wedge on ram units I used were so slow I couldn't bear waiting for the ram to return. Like watching paint dry to be truthful. One was a Troy-bilt and the other I think was a north star.

I guess that's the trade-off for a vertical splitter. Fine for busting bigger rounds into a manageable size and then using a kinetic to finish the job?

Diesel: The fact that you have been around splitters is a huge advantage for you as you have an idea of what works, and doesn't work so good, as does ValleyFirewood and sharp edged fenders. I would never even consider fenders, as good or bad. They're there, that's a nice plus I guess...the other guys aren't offering fenders...sort of thing. And that's how splitters are... You have to look close. Pre-visualize (the five stitches in your shin...) and ask yourself questions as you picture yourself going through the motions. Am I taking the splitter to the wood, or the wood to the splitter? What end is the hitch on? Does it push wood off the end? Is that a plus if it does, or did I just bury the hitch? Do I need to unhook it from the tow vehicle to even start to split? Do I need to pick up every split piece off the beam to toss it in a pile? That might be a plus... if the pile is in a trailer. Where will my rounds be when I split? (in a trailer/truck, on the ground in a pile, where the tree was dropped and cut up); When I split a big round does one piece fall on the ground on the opposite side of the splitter? Can I operate it standing with a straight back, or reaching and bent over forward, bent over sideways? Is the oil tank big enough? Tires big enough? Do the controls feel natural to reach for, or is there a tire in the way? Can I run it from both sides, or is there a tank in the way on one side? If wood falls off the beam does the engine take a hit, or a hydraulic filter?
It is kind of like buying a car? All new cars are... New. The seat hugs you, the radio sounds great as it is not competing with rattles and such, yet. Dash is modern, snazzy, sharp looking...and New! After you own it three month you notice other things, the same things actually, with a broader awareness. That seat that hugged you, pushes your shoulders forward, and after an hour you find yourself sitting sideways on one cheek to relieve the discomfort. Your smile has turned into a vertical line between your eyebrows. That snazzy dash...you can't find the defroster button for crap as the road is vanishing beyond the windshield. And remember the radio...the saleman turned it on for you during the test drive for a reason... because it is a touch screen and it takes eight minutes to find the friggin menu. At 75 mph, how far did you go in eight minutes................? (5280' x 75 mph/60 minutes x 8 minutes = 52,800' or 10 miles, but that's theoretical because you will really be in a ditch somewhere seven minutes sooner than all that.) But we don't notice that stuff...because it is New, and we just see New, most of the time. Splitter are somewhat simpler, no defrost, no radio, no seat. But it is important to look past the shinny paint and big number printed on it, because some wood splitters are designed by clowns with masters degrees.

I guess that's the trade-off for a vertical splitter. Fine for busting bigger rounds into a manageable size and then using a kinetic to finish the job?
OR just run the rounds through a 4-way a couple times in the first place, and your done!

That way, there's NO need to keep handling them, OR the need for two splitters to deal with.

SR

OR just run the rounds through a 4-way a couple times in the first place, and your done!

That way, there's NO need to keep handling them, OR the need for two splitters to deal with.

SR
I think I'd prefer the one and done approach Mr Mudd is building and accepting that while it creates lotsa trash it more than makes up for it with super productivity.

my splitter kills my back.
Perhaps it is not actually the lifting, but rather working bent over without straitening up, or most likely a combination of both. A higher beam might be beneficial, and possibly an auxiliary table next to the beam. Pulp hooks help as well in handling wood in many situations. This is an old splitter raised up. The bench was built of repurposed 4" x 4"s, and some 2" x material bolted up. It can be used on either side of the beam. Note the bench is quite long so it catches one half of a big round after being split, and there is still room to work up the half closest to you. Another benefit is that the bench keeps the split pile away from the splitter a bit. When done the splitter is still easily moved.IMG_1557.jpg 0525121543a.jpg

my splitter kills my back. It is horizontal and the top of beam is about 8-inch off ground so I have to continually lift logs onto beam. is it easier on back if rail is 3 ft or so off ground when you have to pick up logs and lift higher ?

IF your splitter is too low, block it up higher!

My splitter is adjustable, I put it where it's most comfortable to use.

SR

Perhaps it is not actually the lifting, but rather working bent over without straitening up, or most likely a combination of both. A higher beam might be beneficial, and possibly an auxiliary table next to the beam. Pulp hooks help as well in handling wood in many situations. This is an old splitter raised up. The bench was built of repurposed 4" x 4"s, and some 2" x material bolted up. It can be used on either side of the beam. Note the bench is quite long so it catches one half of a big round after being split, and there is still room to work up the half closest to you. Another benefit is that the bench keeps the split pile away from the splitter a bit. When done the splitter is still easily moved.View attachment 541182 View attachment 541183
my splitter is similar to yours . my axles are welded to bottom of base motor sits on and they are not as tall as yours

Found it!
I was trying to find a photo that showed the axle mod a fruit farmer made to this splitter to tow behind a tractor in an orchard.
Originally it had small wheels and tires. VW hubs, wheels and tires were added and the tongue lengthened. Nothing fancy.

We had a string of local thefts so I blocked one side and pulled a wheel off as a deterrent. The other photo gives a better idea of the table size. These are old photos that I've posted elsewhere before. I sold this splitter in 2015 after using it over thirty years to heat our home.

I now use a SuperSplit HD 95+% of the time. It is even more ergonomic in height, integrated table for resplitting, smooth, practical 6.5 hp Subaru sips gas, nice controlled splits, very little splitter trash, and affordable. Three years already on the SS, and can not imagine doing firewood small scale without it.
I just noticed the engine is behind a board in the first picture. The board is temporary placed there so the pretty red engine/white tank of the GX200 was less visible from the road.

Anyway, the motivation behind the whole set up you see here is to ease ones back. I've changes splitter, and added the Posch PackFix, but basically the same set-up. Green, as in unseasoned, Oak is approx. 5,800 pounds/cord. I move it from the cutting table to the staging table (1.) Then the staging table to the splitter, that's (2.) Unload seasoned off the truck by hand @ 4,000 pounds/cord (3.).... total approx. 15,600 pounds/cord. Treat your back well at every stage. I didn't figure in the weight of the chainsaw per cord... That would be a little harder to figure.0502111752.jpg0623121642a.jpg IMG_1559.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

From my experince, you can't beat a SS for speed and lasting value, If cost was no issue I would have one.
Instead I have a fast hydraulic, which really is all I need for 6 plus cords a year.
with two of us running the splitter, one feeding and stacking, the predator is all I need. With just me I can split and stack a cord in a couple hours.
I ran the SS with a few other guys, it took three young guys to keep it fed and the splits pile from getting too big.

Back