Log Splitter Rental

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Tebo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am in search of info as to where I can rent a 4-way (or ideally a 6-way) log splitter with a hydraulic lift arm to raise & stage the rounds up onto the splitter. I have a very nice 27 Ton Troy-Bilt with a good working platform that I made to use with it in its vertical position (my rounds are usually too big/heavy to lift or roll up a ramp to use it in its horizontal position). But I have currently have about 6-8 cords to split at the moment and another 4-6 cords coming soon and I would like to knock it all out in a weekend or two this spring/summer. I have checked with all of the local and national rental companies near me and they all rent what I already own. I had the name of a rental company in North West Baltimore that used to rent one for $130 for the weekend (pick up Fri pm and return Mon am). But last fall, some dumb azz tried to make it do more than it could and bent it’s shaft, so they stopped renting it (why is there always one dumb azz that ruins a good thing for the rest of us?...). I would love to own one, but they are not cheap and unless I could find several other people to go in together to buy one jointly and take turns sharing it; they are beyond my means to buy at the moment. I am willing to drive to the Tri-State area to rent one from a rental company or any site member that has one and is willing to rent it for some extra pocket money etc. I am an OCD freak who takes crazy good care of my equipment (I probably belong on some type of prescription medication to stop me obsessing over the one spec of saw dust that I know is still somewhere inside of the starter cover that I cannot get to after air-washed it for 15 minutes…Lol). My splitter has processed well over 100 cords of wood and it is still in showroom condition. There is a parade of members that can attest to my respect for equipment. I just have a lot of other house projects to do this summer and I can’t spend as much time splitting as I usually do. So I am in search of a faster machine to rent from somewhere or someone. Please reply (or PM me if you prefer) if you have any info, suggestions, one to rent or know of someone/someplace that does. Below are some pics of what I am working with and what I am looking for.

Many Thanks,
Scott

What I have:
1.jpg

What I am looking for:
2.jpg
http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-5e-log-splitter/

http://www.allwoodlogsplitters.com/bloodwood-series

What I have to do:
3.jpg

Hello guys,

I am in search of info as to where I can rent a 4-way (or ideally a 6-way) log splitter with a hydraulic lift arm to raise & stage the rounds up onto the splitter. I have a very nice 27 Ton Troy-Bilt with a good working platform that I made to use with it in its vertical position (my rounds are usually too big/heavy to lift or roll up a ramp to use it in its horizontal position). But I have currently have about 6-8 cords to split at the moment and another 4-6 cords coming soon and I would like to knock it all out in a weekend or two this spring/summer. I have checked with all of the local and national rental companies near me and they all rent what I already own. I had the name of a rental company in North West Baltimore that used to rent one for $130 for the weekend (pick up Fri pm and return Mon am). But last fall, some dumb azz tried to make it do more than it could and bent it’s shaft, so they stopped renting it (why is there always one dumb azz that ruins a good thing for the rest of us?...). I would love to own one, but they are not cheap and unless I could find several other people to go in together to buy one jointly and take turns sharing it; they are beyond my means to buy at the moment. I am willing to drive to the Tri-State area to rent one from a rental company or any site member that has one and is willing to rent it for some extra pocket money etc. I am an OCD freak who takes crazy good care of my equipment (I probably belong on some type of prescription medication to stop me obsessing over the one spec of saw dust that I know is still somewhere inside of the starter cover that I cannot get to after air-washed it for 15 minutes…Lol). My splitter has processed well over 100 cords of wood and it is still in showroom condition. There is a parade of members that can attest to my respect for equipment. I just have a lot of other house projects to do this summer and I can’t spend as much time splitting as I usually do. So I am in search of a faster machine to rent from somewhere or someone. Please reply (or PM me if you prefer) if you have any info, suggestions, one to rent or know of someone/someplace that does. Below are some pics of what I am working with and what I am looking for.

Many Thanks,
Scott

What I have:
View attachment 498119

What I am looking for:
View attachment 498121
http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-5e-log-splitter/

http://www.allwoodlogsplitters.com/bloodwood-series

What I have to do:
View attachment 498122

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.jpg 8.jpg

That red one has a new home, but there is another one, same color, upgraded features, that's currently for sale you know.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-commercial-size-log-splitter.287747/

It's a great machine, and Alex does tremendous work. It'll be the last splitter you will ever have to buy.
I actually spoke to Alex last year about a used spec model that he had for sale. I know his stuff is awesome, but it's way out of my price range at this point in time. That's why i want to rent one from a company or member for a weekend or two.

Why can't you use your machine?

My splitter is fine for single splits. But it takes way too long with a single wedge and due to the size of my rounds; I have to make 6-8 passes and sometimes more. If I only had a couple of cords to do and or more time to do it, it would be fine- but I have a Lot to do. I have considered adding the two side "wing" wedges (weld or bolt on) from Harbor Freight or Speeco, but I would have to pay someone to cut out U or V shaped recesses into the sides of the log jam/stop located at the top so that the wedge could make a full return cycle into its recessed area (allows for the longer rounds to fit). Also, the shaft was really not designed for a 4-way wedge and I don't want to run the risk of modifying it and damaging it.

I actually spoke to Alex last year about a used spec model that he had for sale. I know his stuff is awesome, but it's way out of my price range at this point in time. That's why i want to rent one from a company or member for a weekend or two.

My splitter is fine for single splits. But it takes way too long with a single wedge and due to the size of my rounds; I have to make 6-8 passes and sometimes more. If I only had a couple of cords to do and or more time to do it, it would be fine- but I have a Lot to do. I have considered adding the two side "wing" wedges (weld or bolt on) from Harbor Freight or Speeco, but I would have to pay someone to cut out U or V shaped recesses into the sides of the log jam/stop located at the top so that the wedge could make a full return cycle into its recessed area (allows for the longer rounds to fit). Also, the shaft was really not designed for a 4-way wedge and I don't want to run the risk of modifying it and damaging it.

Your call I guess. 6-8 cords isn't alot by any means.

Your call I guess. 6-8 cords isn't alot by any means.

It will end up being around 30 cords in total. That's a lot for most people who are not a professional tree service or firewood company. I'm a one man and two dogs band (with a teenager's help when I can bribe my son with enough allowance money).

I must of misread, I thought you said you has 6-8 cords to do. (Very possible, I just skimmed your wall of text haha)

Just my 2 cents - Go buy the $8k splitter & never look back - Don't have 'partners' in it, they will never treat it as good as you & this will bother you something awful. I do 25 to 30 cords each year with a single wedge Didier that I bought in '78 - i've modified many times, slow, but I owe no one money. From the looks of your sig, you have lots of equipment, may as well add one more piece. Splitter like this, you only buy once, leave it to your kids someday.

Check out the DC area craigslist for wood splitting. There is a guy that rents a tw-6. Not sure what he's charges though.

If you have a trailer then maybe you can have those strong boys prestage the big rounds up on the trailer and then just a short roll onto your splitter table for you to split. Going to be difficult to find a splitter like Metal werx because they are a lot more dangerous ( for rental type people) to run than the simple vertical/horizontal machine. And of course the cost of that type of machine is much higher so rent has to be much higher. Very small market. Try to find a Wallenstein dealer near you and maybe they would rent you a demo machine with log lift? How you gonna keep the splits away form the machine? Going to need some serious help to move that much wood in a couple of weekends. I use a conveyor for my 16" splits. For my 32" splits I have a tractor hooked to the splitter and just pull ahead every 20 minutes. Or I use my tractor to push the splits up into a pile.
I have 4 or 5 splitters but I also have a hoarding problem.

If you have a trailer then maybe you can have those strong boys prestage the big rounds up on the trailer and then just a short roll onto your splitter table for you to split. Going to be difficult to find a splitter like Metal werx because they are a lot more dangerous ( for rental type people) to run than the simple vertical/horizontal machine. And of course the cost of that type of machine is much higher so rent has to be much higher. Very small market. Try to find a Wallenstein dealer near you and maybe they would rent you a demo machine with log lift? How you gonna keep the splits away form the machine? Going to need some serious help to move that much wood in a couple of weekends. I use a conveyor for my 16" splits. For my 32" splits I have a tractor hooked to the splitter and just pull ahead every 20 minutes. Or I use my tractor to push the splits up into a pile.
Do you have Super Split or now anyone who uses one?

LoveStihlQuality

logboss dot com. whitespider has one, they have a really spiffy feature, well, several spiffy design features, they pivot around any large round on the ground and split it. No log lift needed. Small enough to move around with one hand, yet plenty of power because of their pump and ram design. Much cheaper than any of those big splitters.

I must of misread, I thought you said you has 6-8 cords to do. (Very possible, I just skimmed your wall of text haha)

What I was trying to say was that I have 8-10 cords ready to split right now. And another 6-8 cords down and ready to be bucked up for splitting. Then another 6-8 cords waiting to be claimed. About 30 in total for the year.

Just my 2 cents - Go buy the $8k splitter & never look back - Don't have 'partners' in it, they will never treat it as good as you & this will bother you something awful. I do 25 to 30 cords each year with a single wedge Didier that I bought in '78 - i've modified many times, slow, but I owe no one money. From the looks of your sig, you have lots of equipment, may as well add one more piece. Splitter like this, you only buy once, leave it to your kids someday.

I appreciate the advise and you are probably right. My single split has served me well so far. I just need to process faster this year due to other items on my honey-do-list. Buying one for $2k is not possible for me at the moment, much less $6-8k. It's on my bucket list though...

Check out the DC area craigslist for wood splitting. There is a guy that rents a tw-6. Not sure what he's charges though.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Thanks, it's not really the lifting as much as I need to rent multi-wedge splitter to save processing time. From what I have see, a 4 or 6 way wedge can do in under a minute what my single wedge takes 10-15 minutes to do with its stroke cycle time. Luckily, my wood is in seperate areas so I plan to just split into piles here and there and move the splitter as I go to make long piles. I have a 8' blade on my tractor, so I can push piles if I need to. I will just move and stack it at a later date.

Lovestihlquality, Nope, I'm a homebuilt guy. My 32" with hydraulic 4 way wedge and my converted Speeco.
View attachment 498231 View attachment 498231 View attachment 498232

Nice work! I wish I had the space and resources to build my own stuff because I have the skills to do it.

logboss dot com. whitespider has one, they have a really spiffy feature, well, several spiffy design features, they pivot around any large round on the ground and split it. No log lift needed. Small enough to move around with one hand, yet plenty of power because of their pump and ram design. Much cheaper than any of those big splitters.

Thanks! I'm going to look into it for sure.

It will end up being around 30 cords in total. That's a lot for most people who are not a professional tree service or firewood company. I'm a one man and two dogs band (with a teenager's help when I can bribe my son with enough allowance money).

I cut and split over 100 cords a year with my single blade splitter just like yours.
30 cords is not a lot.

I used to rent a big single blade splitter, and got tired of moving huge rounds in place to split vertically. I use my 77 cc Husky with a 20 in bar and noodle it all up. It goes quite fast when you've got a lot of power on a shorter bar. Then it's easy to move the smaller pieces around to a regular size splitter. Easy on the back. Only drawback is the huge piles of noodles you'll make.

I used to rent a big single blade splitter, and got tired of moving huge rounds in place to split vertically. I use my 77 cc Husky with a 20 in bar and noodle it all up. It goes quite fast when you've got a lot of power on a shorter bar. Then it's easy to move the smaller pieces around to a regular size splitter. Easy on the back. Only drawback is the huge piles of noodles you'll make.

I do the same thing. I quarter up the bigger rounds with the saw and let sit a little bit so the water weight evaporates.
It's easier to use the saw then try to wrestle with a big heavy round and split in the vertical passion.

Latest posts

Back