Log Splitter Rental

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would noodle them in halves or quarters and use your splitter. Or rent a skid loader or compact tractor to help move the big ones around. I've have to deal with a lot of big rounds,and have a tractor, I still have been halving them with a saw. They start drying a bit until i a get to splitting them also. I'm also not sure putting a huge round through a 6 way will work that great, if at all.

I do the same thing. I quarter up the bigger rounds with the saw and let sit a little bit so the water weight evaporates.
It's easier to use the saw then try to wrestle with a big heavy round and split in the vertical passion.

Yup. With those huge rounds, once they are quartered, you can pick them up waist high without much trouble. Then if you have a four way splitter head attached to a regular big splitter, you can get four regular size chunks of firewood in one pass. I usually noodle all my stuff up on the spot right after I've bucked the big rounds off the main trunk. There's usually not that much time difference involved in noodling vs. struggling and fighting with those monster rounds. Maybe safer too.

Thanks guys. Yes, I have already gone down the road of quartering my big rounds with saws. I have plenty of saws and bars to do it with CAD does have its advantages at times- Lol!. I do it more to start the drying process before I get time to split them than I do to reduce size/weight. In fact, I have about 20 large rounds that have been quartered that have been sitting here for about 3 months now. I don't mind the noodles, they make for a good base material to work on in my splitting area (less mud when it rains). Moving the material is not an issue. I have lots of way to move them; a tractor with a platform fashioned onto the rear 3pt. lift-arms (no hydraulics for a bucket on a Jubilee), ganged truck hood sleds, front 1/2 of an aluminum jon boat sled, and several dollies (I am also looking onto the "Logmule" or making one out of the yellow Harbor Freight dollie for 1/3 of the cost). Also the aluminum platform that I made covers the base of the splitter that bites into the rounds, so it's easy enough to dump a round onto the plaatform with a dollie and then spin it on the platform (sort of works like the Lazy-Susan effect). I have tried to make what I have as efficient as possible. But you still have to make many passes with the wedge and then toss the pieces onto a pile from a seated position. The idea of 1-2 passes and the wood dumps out the back into piles is much more appealing though (I guess that's why the cost so much- better designs, less work and faster speeds). I may try to add the wings onto my existing wedge to make it a 4-way. It would at least be a step in the right direction. They are not designed for my splitter though, so I would have to have some fabrication work done. I am still in search of a rental 4 or 6-way for rent though. I can't believe that there is not anyone in the MD, DE, PA, VW or WVA area that rents them. They have to be out there, it's just how to find them (besides Google)- thus my post to all of you guys. Most likely, they will be some mom and pop store and not a national chain and those people don't pay for Google ads. Anyone?

Thanks again,
Scott

I'd rent my TW6 and my Supersplit. I don't think it would be worth the drive to Milwaukee though.

I'd rent my TW6 and my Supersplit. I don't think it would be worth the drive to Milwaukee though.
Been looking at SuperSplit for a while. Have only Huskee / Speeco 34 T. How long have you used SS and do you use it mostly? Thanks Ed

LoveStihlQuality

That was one of my issues with splitter renting, all the extra hassles. There's time to factor in with driving back and forth to the rental place, standing in line waiting your turn at the counter, having to schedule your time to get it back before closing hours, etc. It's so much easier for me now, I just hook my splitter up to my four wheeler and I'm ready to split at my convenience.

I should clarify. I would rent my splitters with me as an operator. To much can go wrong and I'm pretty sure my insurance company would hang me out to dry.

I also have a Cat 252 with a grapple that I would rent out the same way.

I got the SS HD a year ago. It's pretty damn fast! To be honest, there's probably only been 5 cords through it. I mostly split for my owb with my TW6. I only use the SS for firewood sales. Sales really aren't a priority yet.

I found that my plan old 2 wheel dolly works great for moving rounds and quartered rounds. As long as there not too big.
One could get a tree dolly that could handle bigger rounds. That is, if you have the beans to push one around.
I have always wanted to mount one of those pickup truck cranes on my splitter to lift the bigger rounds right up on the splitter deck.
The problem is most of the newer splitters have the motor on the drop side of the splitter.
That puts the motor in the drop zone, making it vulnerable to damage.
I use different methods depending on my schedule but I tend to noodle first, then place my splitter as close to the pile and noodle and split as I go along. That way I figure, if I'm going to pick up a round, I'll just do it once to put it on the splitter.
But other times I noodle and dolly the rounds to a pile under a good shade tree for summer splitting.
In the winter, I move out in the open in the sun to stay wormer.
Skid loaders are great too but are expensive and costly to maintain, and they eat tires like crazy.
Skid loaders also tear up the ground really bad, especially making sharp turns.
Skid steer loaders with tracks are better but still have issues with wearing out the tracks and them jumping of track.
A tractor with a front loader has issues as well.
A tractor with the lift capacity to do the job are expensive and need to be fairly large to do the job.
Since I only have a small single splitter. It's better to just do it by hand one round at a time.
Besides, it like going to the gym. Giving me a great workout. Keeps me in good shape.

Thanks for the offer! If you were in my Tri-State area, I would take you up on it for sure. Now if I could just get one of the guys in PA, MD or VA/WVA to make the same offer- I'd be in business!

I found that my plan old 2 wheel dolly works great for moving rounds and quartered rounds. As long as there not too big.
One could get a tree dolly that could handle bigger rounds. That is, if you have the beans to push one around.
I have always wanted to mount one of those pickup truck cranes on my splitter to lift the bigger rounds right up on the splitter deck.
The problem is most of the newer splitters have the motor on the drop side of the splitter.
That puts the motor in the drop zone, making it vulnerable to damage.
I use different methods depending on my schedule but I tend to noodle first, then place my splitter as close to the pile and noodle and split as I go along. That way I figure, if I'm going to pick up a round, I'll just do it once to put it on the splitter.
But other times I noodle and dolly the rounds to a pile under a good shade tree for summer splitting.
In the winter, I move out in the open in the sun to stay wormer.
Skid loaders are great too but are expensive and costly to maintain, and they eat tires like crazy.
Skid loaders also tear up the ground really bad, especially making sharp turns.
Skid steer loaders with tracks are better but still have issues with wearing out the tracks and them jumping of track.
A tractor with a front loader has issues as well.
A tractor with the lift capacity to do the job are expensive and need to be fairly large to do the job.
Since I only have a small single splitter. It's better to just do it by hand one round at a time.
Besides, it like going to the gym. Giving me a great workout. Keeps me in good shape.

I may have to use my own in the end, but I just wanted to make sure that I have exhausted all other methods of renting one from some one or somewhere first. I'm going to keep trying for a while longer. Btw- here are some good Dollie options. The LogMule is nice, but not cheap though.

http://log-mule.com/

http://t.harborfreight.com/extra-wide-hand-truck-66171.html

Thanks for the offer! If you were in my Tri-State area, I would take you up on it for sure. Now if I could just get one of the guys in PA, MD or VA/WVA to make the same offer- I'd be in business!

I may have to use my own in the end, but I just wanted to make sure that I have exhausted all other methods of renting one from some one or somewhere first. I'm going to keep trying for a while longer. Btw- here are some good Dollie options. The LogMule is nice, but not cheap though.

http://log-mule.com/

http://t.harborfreight.com/extra-wide-hand-truck-66171.html

I like the look of the haul master over the log mule.
The haul master is wide and has protected tires.
I have 2 dolly's. One has little tabs that cover the tires so the load doesn't drag on the tires.
The other doesn't.
Both work but the one with the protected tires is much better because the rounds are odd shapes and sizes and can sometimes drag on the tires.
The wide rubber tires are a plus and so is the extended reach of the pedestal.
I might go look at one of those haul masters.
$109.00 is what I'd expect to pay for a dolly like that.
For all the work it will save you, I don't think it's too expensive at all.

The one I use is like this one.
I use it way more then I would have expected to use one.
I find myself useing it all the time for moving all kinds of stuff.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoot-hand-truck-97568.html

Yup, I have two like that as well. One with wheel guards/fenders, and one without. I agree with you as to the usefulness of the guards for sure. I was just thinking a bigger cradle and base plate for leverage when pivoting back. Currently, I flip them on their ends and use an ax or hookaroon to leverage them up when pivoting back, which is a pain to do. So I am going to tinker with one of my current dollies and retrofit a a ratchet load strap onto it (aka the logmule method). I have some spares sitting here, so why not. Now, if I could just find a rental for a splitter...

Back