log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dad2_5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a wood burning furnace in my house. I now need to spend my spare time cutting and splitting between 6 and 8 full cords of hardwood each year to season down for the next winter. My question is this: Does anyone out there have a recommendation for me as to what brand and specs I should consider when buying a gas powered log splitter?

Hi Dad, In all seriousness you might want to try a 6# splitting maul. If the wood is not huge or stringy the maul is faster unless you spend big bucks for a multisplit machine. You will also find that the split wood ends up splitting cleaner with the maul so it stacks nicer. I find the maul easier on the back too and you would be surprised how much you can split, even if you only work for an hour a day after your regular job. Welcome to AS. Russ

Split wood not atoms

I will be splitting maybe 10 cords a year and here is what I did.

I just picked up a Timberwolf 2-HD they have others but I like the idea of the trailer hitch in the front and the wood coming out the rear. I looked at several, I wanted to be able to tow it with my quad, full-size tires,4 way wedge, Honda motor and something built strong. The Troy Built now an Mtd product didn’t seem strong to me and I didn’t like the idea of the wedge on the piston. I was also hesitant about the hydraulic pump underneath the axle, my property has a lot of rocks and with my luck I would leave some parts behind. If the wedge is on the piston I don’t think you could have a four-way wedge and I wanted that since the wood I split isn’t huge.

Another machine was the Bachtold Brothers Brute I drove 2 hours to look at it and if you go to there site you can see it has a tray that holds the wood on one side if you want to split the piece again it stays on the tray. The way it was explained to me you would have to physically remove that piece after it was split.

The Timberwolf HD-2 is more than I need and I could have gotten by with a TW-1 but to me it is a strong machine. I went to there shop and looked at them all. They are located in VT I purchased the splitter in NH since it is 20 miles from my place Another splitter was on the Baileys site they are Lickety Splitters, in my area I couldn’t find one to look at but from what I read on the web they are good machines.

Another one was made in VT by Spruce Ridge they were geared for production and their entry-level model was to kill for it was also $4800. This gent built the original Brute in Maine but had some Money problems sold and started back up under another name.

Last but not least check out some cool flash clips on www.oddtodd.com

www.baileysonline.com

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/tw2hd/tw2hd.htm

http://www.logsplitters.com/logsplitters.htm

http://www.troybilt.com/servlet/BrandProduct?ID=122&CAT=6

http://www.canns-bilco.com/powerteksplitters.htm

http://www.bachtoldbros.com/products/commercial/logsplitters.asp

Dad, i split 20-30 cords a year with a 8# maul and don't have a problem at all. its easier than you would think after a little practice:angel:

Hey! What`s wrong with splitting atoms? I even like to have a few elastic collisions myself. If this is the way you guys are going to be I`m going fission.:D Russ

I have some elm for those that want to split with a maul. stringiest @#$% you ever did run into. If you use a splitter you have to send the piston as far as it goes, then you have to pull the rest apart by hand.

I alos use a maul, ax or wedges. Whatever seems to work best in that kind of wood. Have fun with your new splitter.

Although I used a Brute Splitter, coupled with a 24' conveyor in my firewood days, I now split with a 6# maul for personal use, however, any pesky blocks that wont jump right open at the mere sight of the maul, I split them with my chainsaw.
A Newfie went to the airport to ask for a job cutting firewood. He was told he came to the wrong place. "Not true", he replied, "I cut it, he pilot".
John

There are so many brands; I don't know what would be available in your local.

In this area (East central Illinois) we have Rural King farm stores. The have a splitter that swivels whorizontal or vertical. I bought one for $899. It has done well. Don't know the brand; it is at the farm and I am here in town at home.

You will have minor problems with any power splitter; things shake loose, leaks, stale fuel and gum from setting. I have had zero problems yet with this one, but it is kept inside and used frequently.

I bought a 31 ton splitter at Home Depot for $1300. Best splitter I could find for the money. It is branded MTD, but I have seen the same splitter branded Cub Cadet at almost twice the money just for the name I guess. I question as to whether the maul is faster. I can split a lot of wood in a short time and it's easier on my back.

One of the best investments I have ever made, was putting the green down on a log splitter! I cut and split about 14 cords of wood a yr. I used to split with just a 6# maul, but even when it is good wood to work with, I would still throw my back out. I have just got a plain jane MTD 20 ton, but wish I would have gotton a 30 ton-even though this has split everything that has been thrown to it. I would recommend you get one that is both vert and Horz, I almost always use vert. It has been going strong for the las 5 yrs, so I spoiled it and changed the filters and gave her a tune up this yr. This is one peice of equipment that I will always have-if I heat by wood!

anybody got any idea how that thing using the rear drive wheel of a truck could work. just curious as it also looks like a good way to mess up the rear end of u truck.
oh well time to go out and split some sweet gum w my maul.not:)

Hello, Last spring my father purchased a Powertec log splitter. It has a 8 HP Honda, one pull beauty, and a 26 ton ram. I like the splitter! He also got the optionable trailering package with indepent suspension, hi-way tires, full size fenders, and trailer lights. It works good and is easy to trailer to my house!! Jonathan

"the stickler"

My brother-in-law has an older Deere 12 horse garden tractor with a rotating cone type splitter that runs off the pto. Unlike the Stickler, this has a handle for engaging the rotation. It's really unusual, but works like a charm for his 10+ cords/yr. If the tractor ever dies, he'll probably just buy an engine and mount it on a trailer.
That Stickler thing is $250, plus you have to jack up the rear of your truck to get it to work.

moved thread

Dad2, I didnt realize that Brian had mentioned to you to post this topic on chainsaw. He is correct in the fact that there are alot of firewood guys over there, and many of them dont realize the other forums exist. On the same token, this particular thread doesnt belong there, and by moving them (it) out of chainsaw, I am hoping we can get these guys to understand that there are more than just chainsaws on Arboristsite. I think it is a good thing that off topic threads are started in chainsaw, so we can move them to the appropriate thread, and help people navigate the whole site.

On topic now...I used an MTD "White" branded splitter for some time, and quite liked it.
There is another splitter out there made by a company called "Gripo". Honda powered. This particular machine doesnt use hydralics, but some sort of torque converter? or belt system..(I am looking into it now) The cycle time is only 3 SECONDS!!! The force applied to the log is 20-28000 lbs. If anyone else knows anything about this splitter hopefully they can share it with us.

There is another splitter out there made by a company called "Gripo". Honda powered. This particular machine doesnt use hydralics, but some sort of torque converter? or belt system..(I am looking into it now) The cycle time is only 3 SECONDS!!! The force applied to the log is 20-28000 lbs. If anyone else knows anything about this splitter hopefully they can share it with us.
Thats the one i was talking about Dennis. It uses a flywheel to store energy and then releases it with great force to propel the wedge forawrd and split the log.

Ben..i dont think that is the same splitter...This is an actual "Gripo" labelled splitter....and I dont recall any talk of a flywheel...I could be wrong though...was once before....1986, I think:D I am waiting for some faxes to show up on it...

Latest posts

Back