logger's pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why wait for west coast for corks. The slick soled boots sounds crazy.

Yeah, sounds crazy to me too but then I have never been to PA. Pics of yourself would help me understand better. As far as woolies year round go, your body is a furnace that burns food. Heat is produced and has to be gotten rid of. You are lucky, you must be skinny. :) I would die in an hour.

Why the slick sole boots? Does anyone wears corks back there?

I'll take your word for it about wearing long johns year around, (when it is heat index of 110* i'm not gonna be wearing them) those long johns would hold several pounds of sweat, and i just don't like that much restriction..

how long you been working in the woods? what sort of skidder you running out there?

Why wait for west coast for corks. The slick soled boots sounds crazy.

Yeah, sounds crazy to me too but then I have never been to PA. Pics of yourself would help me understand better. As far as woolies year round go, your body is a furnace that burns food. Heat is produced and has to be gotten rid of. You are lucky, you must be skinny. :) I would die in an hour.

i would wear caulks but i go from cutting to running equipment at times..so that wouldn't work good. i might be cutting trees and at the end of the day run the skidder or loader..and i don't see caulks working real good for that..and i don't wanna have to change boots to run equipment or to go into a place to get lunch..now what i mean?

in those pics im wearing a pair of Redwing loggers with Tacoma soles (love the soles-not a fan of the boots) they lasted me 7 months before i blew out the side of them. looking into getting a pair of Wesco's when i get the #

Last edited:
I'll take your word for it about wearing long johns year around, (when it is heat index of 110* i'm not gonna be wearing them) those long johns would hold several pounds of sweat, and i just don't like that much restriction..

how long you been working in the woods? what sort of skidder you running out there?

i would wear caulks but i go from cutting to running equipment at times..so that wouldn't work good. i might be cutting trees and at the end of the day run the skidder or loader..and i don't see caulks working real good for that..and i don't wanna have to change boots to run equipment or to go into a place to get lunch..now what i mean?

I was just wodering if the guys that work on the groung logging wear corks. I don't know the terrain back there. I figured any person running equipment would not. JP even knew the model # of the boots his guys wear.

I was just wodering if the guys that work on the groung logging wear corks. I don't know the terrain back there. I figured any person running equipment would not. JP even knew the model # of the boots his guys wear.

to be honest ive never seen a logger here wearing corks.. but that is because alot of them double time as skidder/loader/knuckleboom operators and truck drivers..the industry isn't that big out here that we have designated jobs, typically. there are some guys that just run skidders, or drive trucks, or cut...but alot of them do it all

I wear slipper's or sneaker's to and from, but when the truck stops near the landing the calks go on, if I work solo then I run equip. with them also. Bare metal pedals like say on timberjack 240 wear calks out terrible but any skidder with the rubber going on on the floor and pedals is great. Tried out a pair about 4yr ago and just can't seem to get by without them. There is quite a few around here that wear calks, mostly in the winter time. Just don't try them out on a tile floor!!! You will get laughed at while picking yourself up off the floor.

Actually the Amish are the ones who taught me this w/ regard to the boots, we don't know ANYONE who wears corks. I once tried them on a bet w/ a student at Penn State, but fell down more in them on a flat grass field then I ever did in my RW's. We also do mule logging. Every now & then if 1 of them don't want to go we hop on its back (standing) so obviously we couldn't do that w/ spiky bottoms.
Yes I am skinny, I'm 36 5'10" & weigh just 130.
I learned the long john trick from a New Brunswick native who was a biology major at PSU. I asked all the guys (Amish & non-Amish) what boots they wore. The 14 Amish all wore RW 953's, of the 7 non Amish 4 wore RW 953's, 2 wore RW 699's, & 1 wore White's "Smokeater?" He was an PNWer originally & was the one to teach me to waterproof my clothes.
I gues when I do move I'll have to learn to walk all over again (ha-ha).

Latest posts

Back