logger's pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather forecast was way off today. It was supposed to be 40s and snow level 2000 to 1500 feet elevation and rain. I wore my winter gear with tin pants over longjohns and the sun came out and I was hot. Anybody ever cut (with chaps of course) in longjohns? I seriously was thinking about it but knew if I did a van load of brush pickers would appear and it would just get weird. So I toughed it out. Just wondering? :)

Yea I dressed wrong today out cuttin at Key Center out by Purdy. Wore thermal under hickory ughh. Dumped the long sleaved hickory wished I was wearin wife beater shirt. What was that bright lite in the sky.:chainsaw:

Yea I dressed wrong today out cuttin at Key Center out by Purdy. Wore thermal under hickory ughh. Dumped the long sleaved hickory wished I was wearin wife beater shirt. What was that bright lite in the sky.:chainsaw:

I don't know but it was hard on the eyes and made scary shapes on the ground. Haven't seen it for so long.....:eek: It was downright summerish today and I drank all my water too!

I've been told of a pair of mountian fellows who would cut like hell, always work as a pair, who would strip down to their undies during the heat of the day on hot summer days. You never know, tales run tall when you're hearing stories from old timers. I can't imagine it. I'm carharts or baileys brown pants, filson double tin in the winter and lightweight poypro top year round, longunderwear pants if its below 60- just prefer em depite the heat. Layer the tops. Chaps always. Would like to try some cutting pants but in the SE in the summer its so damn hot i can't imagine how bad those pants would be if I wore them like I wear tin pants in the winter- for a whole season-- drenched (completely) from 9 am on in the summer.

I've been told of a pair of mountian fellows who would cut like hell, always work as a pair, who would strip down to their undies during the heat of the day on hot summer days. You never know, tales run tall when you're hearing stories from old timers. I can't imagine it. I'm carharts or baileys brown pants, filson double tin in the winter and lightweight poypro top year round, longunderwear pants if its below 60- just prefer em depite the heat. Layer the tops. Chaps always. Would like to try some cutting pants but in the SE in the summer its so damn hot i can't imagine how bad those pants would be if I wore them like I wear tin pants in the winter- for a whole season-- drenched (completely) from 9 am on in the summer.

Another PNW thing. I think it might've hit 50 and we were too hot with the poly pro and tin pants. :cheers:

I thought this might interest someone here.
DuckTape.jpg

For pants, the gorilla tape is definitely better. It is a bland color but still sticking and looks like I either better put more on the tin pants or I'll be wearing Capris soon. :) I'm wondering if I can get another winter out of them?

For pants, the gorilla tape is definitely better. It is a bland color but still sticking and looks like I either better put more on the tin pants or I'll be wearing Capris soon. :) I'm wondering if I can get another winter out of them?

I thought that you were going to sell your tins on flea bay after AXMEN became a hit?

=lt1nut;827896]I'm not a logger and haven't tried these but Duluth Trading Co makes some jeans w/ Kevlar thread in them that are guaranteed for five years. They are not chainsaw protection and cost ~$70 I believe.
I'm a fan of the Duluth Trading post clothing all round. I don't have the kevlar's because I don't thing kevlars can do the job versus chaps but I love the rest of the Duluth stuff I have. They make their T-shirts and other shirts about 3" longer as a solution too Plumber's butt, (but!) I like them cause they stay tucked in better. The jeans are very well made and are reiforced with firehose canvas around the cuffs, waist and pockets are made of it too. Excellent if a bit price stuff though. Their henley logger is my fav shirt.:clap:

Last edited:
=lt1nut;827896]I'm not a logger and haven't tried these but Duluth Trading Co makes some jeans w/ Kevlar thread in them that are guaranteed for five years. They are not chainsaw protection and cost ~$70 I believe.
I'm a fan of the Duluth Trading post clothing all round. I don't have the kevlar's because I don't thing kevlars can do the job versus chaps but I love the rest of the Duluth stuff I have. They make their T-shirts and other shirts about 3" longer as a solution too Plumber's butt, (but!) I like them cause they stay tucked in better. The jeans are very well made and are reiforced with firehose canvas around the cuffs, waist and pockets are made of it too. Excellent if a bit price stuff though. Their henley logger is my fav shirt.:clap:

+ 1 on Duluth. The fire-hose fabric stuff they make is great. The only downside is that you have to get a bigger mail-box....they'll send out about forty catalogs a year.
I bought one of their cab organizers for the logging truck. That thing will probably get passed down to my grandkids...real rugged.

what pants do some of you guys wear?

apparently i'm not very good at putting on my own buttons for my suspenders...
besides bailey's and wood's, any other places i can order pants that already have suspender buttons on them?

like maybe these?

pic-faller.jpg

the BC loggers seem to have blue-ish pants with the buttons already on 'em.

In Central PA I wear (the year round) wool longjohns, 2 pr socks, hickory shirt (KEY), Carhartt logger jeans (w/ buttons), & this is a C-PA thing slick soled Red Wing 953's, canvas gloves.
& a helmet 2yrs ago a tree walked into my head so I decided to break down & buy 1. No coat, rainwear, no nothing.
I boil my shirts in alum, & pour linseed oil on my pants to waterproof them.
& Yes the Amish all think I'm nuts. Come to think of it so does everyone else????
Cut your pants off above your boot tops & leave unhemmed.

Last edited:
In Central PA I wear (the year round) wool longjohns, 2 pr socks, hickory shirt (KEY), Carhartt logger jeans (w/ buttons), & this is a C-PA thing slick soled Red Wing 953's, canvas gloves.
& a helmet 2yrs ago a tree walked into my head so I decided to break down & buy 1. No coat, rainwear, no nothing.
I boil my shirts in alum, & pour linseed oil on my pants to waterproof them.
& Yes the Amish all think I'm nuts. Come to think of it so does everyone else????

wow...how do you move? i try to dress as light as possible, allows for easier movement, and when its cold you gotta work to stay warm(you get more done) i like a boot with a most lug to it as possible-i'd wear caulks if i didn't have to run equipment
95*
calebschainsaw020.jpg

calebschainsaw007-1.jpg

15*
caleb.jpg

wow...how do you move? i try to dress as light as possible, allows for easier movement, and when its cold you gotta work to stay warm(you get more done) i like a boot with a most lug to it as possible-i'd wear caulks if i didn't have to run equipment
95*
calebschainsaw020.jpg

calebschainsaw007-1.jpg

15*
caleb.jpg

I can move around as slick as snot. Warm, cold think about, it if it'll keep the cold out it'll keep the heat out. Once you sweat some your woolies'll be COOLER than a t-shirt. Vibram I'm convinced is possitively dangerous. It can't grip on cold rock, or wet bark. (Once I move to B.C. I'll get a pair of corks) once I decide on which brand to get between Wesco, & Viberg. We've never had slip-ups in ours, the only thing is that I bust the hooks w/in a month, so the cobbler swaps them out for eyes.

I can move around as slick as snot. Warm, cold think about, it if it'll keep the cold out it'll keep the heat out. Once you sweat some your woolies'll be COOLER than a t-shirt. Vibram I'm convinced is possitively dangerous. It can't grip on cold rock, or wet bark. (Once I move to B.C. I'll get a pair of corks) once I decide on which brand to get between Wesco, & Viberg. We've never had slip-ups in ours, the only thing is that I bust the hooks w/in a month, so the cobbler swaps them out for eyes.
Why wait for west coast for corks. The slick soled boots sounds crazy.

Back