Logging chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some hardwood that was done with that 562 with a 32 a lot of it comes down to chain if I went back to a round style chain then a 24 or 28 would be all she wrote, but with square chisel in semi skip you can pull a longer bar.
a4a6130db8a5edb2bf24c0398539757c.jpg
610dc89f78b45391799121354d5d8ec0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
A nice fella from out west recently did some cutting and Indiana, he learned first had the Hardwoods out west, are nothing like we have this side of the Mississippi. He thought something was wrong with the saw or chain, no sir the wood is just harder...

I have quare filed chain and even some race chains. Chain is not a problem for me. One could just as easily say the guys out west are heard headed. Try cutting come frozrn Shag bark Hickory, Osage orange or Locust and get back to me. The oiler on a 562 with a 20" bar, has a hard time keep up in dry dead Rock Elm and Ash. I'm talking trees that have less than 20% moisture content. They suck the oil up like a sponge.

I think a 390 would be what I'd get, but you could easily get buy with a 7910, 461 or even a 372. Most important thing as always is the chain!!! With a good chain you'll do fine with a smaller saw. Its all in the chain IMHO.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Trying to explain chain to someone on east coast is like talking to a brick wall ,they don't get it and wont listen because all their shops carry is .050 in round grind. So they think that's all there is. Next they will say the wrap handle gets in the way cutting stumps.
I have out cut a lot of square chain with round chisel that that I file on my tail gate in 10 mins

I've been running 371 then 372s since they came out with mainly 24 sometimes
They were stock back then
Did the job day in day out.
Started with the ported saws a few year's ago.
But i'm still just fine running a stock saw all day.
The stump I'm standing on in my avatar and the saw I'm leaning on .
Stock 372 Husky 75 c.c. p+c . W model.
3/8 , 063 ga Semi skip Stihl chain . Chisel ground chisel bit. 8 tooth drive sprocket. 32" Oregon bar. Took me less than 5 minutes to get it on the ground . around 5 1/2 bushel. Tree brought around $5,000.00
Had to swing it around a 2 bushel hemlock then pull it back to miss a 30" stooled up spruce stump about 90' from this stump. Munched the top about 40' further away . which is great for bushlin.

A 372 W even 72cc is a great little saw.
As is the 460/461 Stihl. Good power to weight. Not too heavy. The 044/440 is a great saw also.
Nothing wrong with bigger. I wouldn't want smaller.

I have out cut a lot of square chain with round chisel that that I file on my tail gate in 10 mins
It can and does happen. All else being perfect a chisel ground or filed chain can be a faster and better cutter. But a well filed round chisel bit can do a great job.

Trying to explain chain to someone on east coast is like talking to a brick wall ,they don't get it and wont listen because all their shops carry is .050 in round grind. So they think that's all there is. Next they will say the wrap handle gets in the way cutting stumps.

We'll get a battle going yet :chainsaw::blob2:

then again, a Husqvarna 390 sure is a pleasure to run in that size wood.
View attachment 623459

A thing to remember is its production timber falling and logging are about as far removed from cookie cutting as can be.
LOTS of limbs to be cut . LOTS AND LOTS . I really like the 390 Husky also. Liked the 394s even more . But, I had the timber for them. I really like the 3120 . but I also really like the 044s and 372 . A good medium size powerhead is generally the best for good production. photobucket-64877-1380569274557.jpg photobucket-6147-1378171681841.jpg

If I went back to falling timber for a living. I would probably get a pair of 390s and a 461 or 372. But, unless I was in the wood for them . I would prolly spend most of my time running the smaller saws.
If I was going to cut someplace like Dall Is. I would run 390s and have a 3120 for the big stuff.
But being an old fatty I probably won't be doing that.

A thing to remember is its production timber falling and logging are about as far removed from cookie cutting as can be.
LOTS of limbs to be cut . LOTS AND LOTS . I really like the 390 Husky also. Liked the 394s even more . But, I had the timber for them. I really like the 3120 . but I also really like the 044s and 372 . A good medium size powerhead is generally the best for good production. View attachment 626077 View attachment 626078

If I went back to falling timber for a living. I would probably get a pair of 390s and a 461 or 372. But, unless I was in the wood for them . I would prolly spend most of my time running the smaller saws.
If I was going to cut someplace like Dall Is. I would run 390s and have a 3120 for the big stuff.
But being an old fatty I probably won't be doing that.
Is that the 460 Mike hopped up ?

Looking to do some logging on a small scale, was looking for a bit better chainsaw, Currently have a ms290 that i cut firewood with and clean up around the farm with. Looking for opinions. Going to be cutting mainly hardwoods no bigger than 24" to 30" across.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk
New from a dealer-

Stihl- 461

Husqvarna-390, 576. 372Xt

Dolmar-7910

I am not a logger nor do I own any of those saws. Those saws are the most common new saws used commercially for logging in my area at the moment. Generally with 24-28” bars.

I do own a 385 am p/c, never use it.

I want just a stock saw honestly. Really looking to get just more power than the 290 has.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk
Lot of 60cc saws have quite a bit more power then your 290. Bigger cc's increase your speed when cutting bigger logs and the work is less of a strain on you and the saw when the saw size matches the size of your wood and conditions. That said, I like a variety of saws to match the different size and conditions I cut in. No more then I make in $ with saws doesn't justify having much more then a couple thousand in work saws combined, so I buy used or saws that need some reconditioning I can do myself and usually have at least 7 to 10 saws to choose from for the days job and usually take at least 3 to the bigger jobs I do alone. My saws range from 32ish cc to 90 ish that I keep on hand for work. Running a 24" bar in 20" + hardwoods I would prefer at least an 044-ms440 which is my favorite all around felling saw for average size trees. Bigger, harder trees I like the 064 and ms660 especially doing a lot of bucking. If I were you and you have a good Stihl dealer I'd prefer another Stihl or 2 bigger then the 290 to go with it. Your bars would interchange also. The Dolmar , Jonsered, Husky's , Echo and the oldies but goody brands are good saws to but when it gets down to choice its what you feel most comfortable with that makes things easier for you all things considered.

Is that the 460 Mike hopped up ?

Yup. Its still a Hoss !
Following comment is not ment as disrespect to Any saw modifiers.
But. I watch lots of YT vid of hopped up work saw . And most of the time I think . Ya, that sounds like a good saw. But I have yet to see a 460 that will outcut mine! And mine is getting some age on it.
Haven't seen a 390 or 288 that would put more timber on the ground any faster than the Ace Morgan 288s or seen a 394 or 395 that will beat my Ace Morgan 394s.
I have been impressed by Brads 390 and 395s

Back