Logging chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to do some logging on a small scale, was looking for a bit better chainsaw, Currently have a ms290 that i cut firewood with and clean up around the farm with. Looking for opinions. Going to be cutting mainly hardwoods no bigger than 24" to 30" across.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

MS461
d571ee1e59a5353c66bc18441542aedd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

372 is a light logging saw. They use them here for clear cutting pine stands. Nothing more than 16”. It could handle some 24” stuff but a pro would not have se it for that. I believe you could though

I can get a 372 xp low profile here locally for 550$. Good deal or? And how would it compare to a 440 or 460 stihl?

Great saws. Lots of guys using ported 372s for logging in the PNW. A stock one should be very capable with a 24" bar. It'll pull a 28" with semi or full skip fairly comfortably also.

I can get a 372 xp low profile here locally for 550$. Good deal or? And how would it compare to a 440 or 460 stihl?

New they are $750. We have a local 365 here thats still for sale for $475.

You planing on leaving the saw stock or port it?

How many trees per day, per week or per month you planning on cutting? That will make a big difference as to what kind of saw you should consider. If you're cutting a truckload of wood or more every day, you'll definitely want a "pro" saw like some of those mentioned above. If you're going to be cutting a half dozen trees per week, you could get by with a lot more options.

Back