Longevity & The Modded Chainsaw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I am doing some hard thinking about buying a modified saw. My biggest concern ( maybe this was previously covered ) is about longevity. As I understand it since a ported muffler lets the motor run cooler, heat is not a concern. What about the increased power from raised compression and the port timing. Take into account that the saw will be meticulously cared for. Thanx for the input.

People are Strange, When You're a Stranger

Hi Rick, what you must first come to grips with, is that you, first of all, are weird, being from P.A. and all, so just accept that fact and go see Danny Henry with your saw, and get it over with.
Face the music, get the saw, cut the wood, be weird and you will be like the rest of us, excepting Fish of course, who has no hotsaw, but then again, he's in touch with reality, much more so then the rest of us.
John

Hi Huskyman, you hit the nail, right on the head. Fish is weird, similar to the book I am reading now, " Descent into Madness", by Vernon Frolick, about a super human creep- Sheslay Free Mike, who killed one RCMP and a trapper in the Yukon because he thought they were spraying the country with mind altering drugs.
Surely a case of shack wacky. The Indians wouldn't go anywhere near the territory he frequented, and why would they?
Published by Hancock House, first edition 1993.
John

Engine mods and longevity

Hello Rich,
John's right, just buy a saw and get it modified. A modified saw if its done properly always has a longer life than a factory saw. after we change the port settings we put a radius on the edge of the ports to let the rings slide over the port edges and lessen the chance of snagging, we scotchbright the face of the rings to remove all sharp edges and help seat the rings. We cut a 30 degree chamfer on the bottom of the piston skirt to aid in oil flow on the piston skirt and barrel. in a two stroke engine you must get a good oil migration pattern to lubricate the cylinder wall and piston. we use a 32-1 oil ratio to get enough oil on the cylinder wall and piston and so the rod bearings will recieve enough oil. we also use synthetic oil because all the oil molecules are the same size and plate the piston and cylinder wall much better than petroleum based oil which have different sized molecules and tend to have a stringy pattern leaving the barrel with out enough oil to lubricate. synthetic oil also has a much higher tempeture point that it begans to change to gum or varnish. we also add extra ports to the muffler to relieve back pressure and help the saw run cooler. the factory does none of these things so your modified saw is just going to last longer. In the last few years the factorys are governed by emmission rules rather than being able to build their motors for power and longevity. These are some of the reasons we can build a motor and get a 30-40 % increase in power without sacraficing long engine life
ken
ken

Hi Rich, how you making out? Did you get that saw done yet?
John
FirewoodSaw.jpg

ken, thanks for the detailed explaination. was wondering the same thing...

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Rich, how you making out? Did you get that saw done yet?

Hey John, I just got back from vacation today. You Canucks sure have the Niagara Falls looking better from your side.

As for the saws, The first 346 is done and runs like a scalded dog. The 357 that you sold me is running hard as well, although the port timing isn't exactly where it should be (that will be chaged next time the saw is apart). The 2nd 346 I did today. Same thing: smoothed out the beaver tooth porting and checked out the port timing.

Just call me the cleanup crew............

I will be running todays 346 tomorrow and will let you know how it runs.

I have an 090 which I have not used very much and may buy a second one.
What kind of results can you get with that big boy (RPM, h.p.?)
Phil L.
P.S. I do slab milling with it.

I put my 660 Magnum through a frozen dog yesterday...meeewyoooww...sounded more like a cat.
Just jokes.
Speaking of the 660...what's an "easy" mod to grab more bite?
Cheers,
Damo.

Back