Looking at a 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjwhit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive come across what looks to be a nice looking 090 for sale. The problem is that the seller doesn't know what he wants for it. I have an idea but I dont know much about 090's, and am not confident, so I am coming to the experts. I will be using it for milling.

Notes: Comes with 4 foot and 5 foot bar. The saw has been "reconditioned' recently and only used a couple of times since. Despite this, the seller says the the saw idles high when cold and low once warm. The real bummer is that I wont be able to view the saw due to distance.

Thoughts on what to look out for/ask the buyer, and any educated guesses on what I should offer him? Thanks guys

1309952278.jpg1309952281.jpg1309952282.jpg

That saw is a later AV model and worth some decent coin. Even if you have to put seals or a piston in it is should be worth $1500. The lowest I've seen them lately was $1800 and most were over $2k. They are, by far, the best direct drive 090 to run, even without the full wrap. I love mine as it is as smooth as a 880 to run with way more power on the long bars. Those bars may be worth some coin as well. Prolly an easy $200 - $300 or more in those, not including any chains.

I would say your lucky to find one . There were two for sale here in Illinois on our local C.L. awhile ago . Cleaner looking saws than that one with longer bars . The seller wanted over $2000.00 each. I was very surprised to see an 090 for sale here let alone two at the same time. I don't know if they sold or not . We have some but not that many big trees around here that would be hard to keep a saw like that busy unless you are either doing heavy milling or just want bragging rights to say you have one in your collection.

I have seen these go for well under the normal price, but on facebook, and in the UK of all places.
In Ireland they sell for a lot, I saw a really old model 090 go for €1000, it would have been €1500 with an old 6 foot bar.

You might have been looking at it, but some Jaffalander that has never been outside South of the Bombays, knows shite all about saws, but works in customer services for the auction site the old dear was listed on, has obviously googled 090 and discovered that most of them never had chain brakes, so this one obviously must be the same (even though the photographs PLAINLY show it does have one) and has decided to pull the ad.
Now you will have to wait for the seller and admin to fight it out before it gets relisted.

Only a few KM's down the road from me...... do I need an 090? :innocent:

They never had a chainbrake, what you're looking at is simply a hand guard.

Well bugger me, that is one for the storage banks- my mistake. :buttkick:
I thought there was a pivot mechanism at the bottom of the guard that denoted a brake......... but will happily admit to not knowing much about the 090 model.
So those funny Germans developed a chain brake for all the other non braked old saws like 041's, but figured if you have the gonads to run an 090 you do not need a brake? Or it was just too hard to modify the system to include a brake I guess.
Never the less- it does not change my opinion of those North of the Bombay's. :laugh:

Well, sorry OP- you won't see it relisted on that auction site again........ but like I say, it is not that far down the road......

Offer hime $1200 and walk. One clean older 090 went on ebay for $1600...

Yep, but take note of where the OP lives- our $ is only worth 60c to you. ;)
For some perspective- a brand spanking new 661 C-M is roughly $2,600 of our dollars, an 880 Magnum will cost you $3,400 of our dollars.

Ive come across what looks to be a nice looking 090 for sale. The problem is that the seller doesn't know what he wants for it. I have an idea but I dont know much about 090's, and am not confident, so I am coming to the experts. I will be using it for milling.

Notes: Comes with 4 foot and 5 foot bar. The saw has been "reconditioned' recently and only used a couple of times since. Despite this, the seller says the the saw idles high when cold and low once warm. The real bummer is that I wont be able to view the saw due to distance.

Thoughts on what to look out for/ask the buyer, and any educated guesses on what I should offer him? Thanks guys

View attachment 820904View attachment 820905View attachment 820906

Reconditioned can mean a lot of things, like new top end, new seals, rebuilt carburetor or new, etc. Just looking at the photos the cylinder doesn't look like it has been taken off recently.

"Yep, but take note of where the OP lives- our $ is only worth 60c to you. ;)
For some perspective- a brand spanking new 661 C-M is roughly $2,600 of our dollars, an 880 Magnum will cost you $3,400 of our dollars."

Yeah, kinda forgot you guys are bit different on the exchange...

"Yep, but take note of where the OP lives- our $ is only worth 60c to you. ;)
For some perspective- a brand spanking new 661 C-M is roughly $2,600 of our dollars, an 880 Magnum will cost you $3,400 of our dollars."

Yeah, kinda forgot you guys are bit different on the exchange...
Yeah, I wasnt expecting answers in NZD. That would have been a bit optimistic.

Interesting, those saws are much cheaper here. 661 with 22" at local Stihl shop has sticker of $2595 NZD ($1540USD), and the 880 with 30" is $3395 NZD ($2015USD).

You might have been looking at it, but some Jaffalander that has never been outside South of the Bombays, knows shite all about saws, but works in customer services for the auction site the old dear was listed on, has obviously googled 090 and discovered that most of them never had chain brakes, so this one obviously must be the same (even though the photographs PLAINLY show it does have one) and has decided to pull the ad.
Now you will have to wait for the seller and admin to fight it out before it gets relisted.

Only a few KM's down the road from me...... do I need an 090? :innocent:
Yeah I was wondering why it was removed by admin, Ive noticed a lot of chainsaw listings been withdrawn by trademe recently. Didnt think of the chainbrake being the reason.

Yeah, I wasnt expecting answers in NZD. That would have been a bit optimistic.

Interesting, those saws are much cheaper here. 661 with 22" at local Stihl shop has sticker of $2595 NZD ($1540USD), and the 880 with 30" is $3395 NZD ($2015USD).

Yeah I was wondering why it was removed by admin, Ive noticed a lot of chainsaw listings been withdrawn by trademe recently. Didnt think of the chainbrake being the reason.

Much cheaper here? I was talking NZ$, I just rounded up the 95 to the nearest 100!
We live in the same country! :laugh:

They are removed if they don't have a chain brake from factory, missing brake flag, broken brake flag or missing clutch cover. It is illegal for anyone to sell a saw in NZ without a working chain brake.
Take an old factory brakeless saw into a Stihl or Husqvarna shop here and they will either refuse to work on it, or make you sign a disclaimer that says you won't blame them if they get it running and then you have an accident with it. You most likely won't get ACC or insurance payout either. :oops:

Latest posts

Back