Looking for a firewood cutting buddy(s) in/around my area.....to share the burden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for a firewood cutting buddy(s) in/around my area.....to share the burden and just to have another person in the woods with me. Currently, the people I have helping do not burn wood.....and I don't have anything to give/help in return. I don't like cutting alone! For one....it's not safe (like cutting wood is safe).... for another.....it's just not as much fun. I would be nice to find a couple of guys.....

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct spot in the forum to put this....(I figured it's better than the chainsaw forum!) I'm not hiring.....If I could pay someone.....I would just fill my propane tank!

I have a wood source.....I have saws (see sig).....I have a truck and trailer to haul....I have splitters (both currently need fixing :bang: :bang: :bang:)....I had a strong back...I have a weak mind (joke....I think).

I'm thinking that we would just kinda share hours......work on your wood for X number of hours......another day on mine........not keeping track on paper....(I guess we could...).....Just make sure the other has wood. Also....I'm sure I could learn a few things working with someone else. I'm told one is never too old to learn.....(I'll have to test that one! :hmm3grin2orange:)

Even you guys who have saws and don't burn.......if you're looking for some time to use them......(I'm not sure what I could give you in return..) I do have a chain grinder..... I do have a car hoist in my garage which I would share.....I have a mill and a lathe.....we could make/mod a few things..... (sorry....garage isn't heated....OH I wish) I've changed engines .....trannies.... done brakes .....clutches......body work isn't one of the things I do very well (IMO).........I also have a fair amount of wood working tools....

I really don't want this to turn out to anyone owning anyone......just keep things.......well not lopsided..... not one person getting used.

I thought about putting this on craigslist.....but I'll try here first..... Any one else at the same place....where you thought you had enough wood and you ran out?!? How much longer are we going to need to burn this season?

Please don't Poo Poo on me and this thread........I really don't need those type of posts right now.... I'm not asking for anything free! I just would like some like minded help and company.

I'm heading out to cut after I finish this......It's snowing and if we get too much....I'll loose my wood supply! Not suppose to get that much....but they've been wrong before!

*****EDIT**** Just to point out... my truck is an old 85 Dodge 1ton. Low gears (4 speed manual trannie) and a very worn front end and a VERY hungry 360 under the hood! It's not a road trip truck. It started it's life as a plow truck from the factory... (Sno-Commander) and was owned by a local company. I can only imagine the work that thing has been put through! Trailer is the back half of a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. Not the typical wood service transportation here! I try to keep them around the area...

Last edited:
OK, this has to be the coolest idea I've seen in a long time!!! Shame you don't live here in Michigan, as I would absolutely be all over that kind of a proposal if you were local. This sort of idea restores one's faith in humanity!

I've thought about seeking some kind of arrangement like this through CL, but figured that would be a prime opportunity to get screwed. Not sure how else I'd hook up with this sort of arrangement, though, since I live in town and don't have many rural friends at all. Not to steal your thread, but rather to make it a one-stop shop for both sides of this coin: if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how someone in my shoes could find an arrangement similar to what OP has proposed, I'd love to hear them!

Brilliant idea. If I was closer I would take you up but the map says nope. I'm in almost the same boat as you are. Sounds like the begining of a GTG.

I think it sounds like a great idea. But the same problem, Not near enough. My neighbor and I cut some unwanted trees and down stuff and then load up LOGS that I take to my son-in-law that lives all the way across the state. But we don't have to cut it all up or split it. We just do it because we like doing it!

I'm in Sister Lakes, Michigan, if there are any takers close by. I see some Michigan folks posting in this thread.

Hey Geezer, you can always bring a load here since I'm closer than across state.... ;)

Brilliant idea. If I was closer I would take you up but the map says nope. I'm in almost the same boat as you are. Sounds like the begining of a GTG.

Yup, there ya go. GTG. Give 'em a place to run those big boys and some free eats and you should get some takers.

The prob you'd have just sharing hours is all the gas costs, unless you can find people real close.

This is the kind of relationship that my 2 SIL and one of their fathers have, we just go cut and make sure everybody has all the wood they need/want for the year...works great. I maintain all the saws being as I'm retired and have the time...

We are a couple hours apart but I am always looking for people to cut with. Right now we all come with trucks and trailers and leave full. I have a stock pile of wood as I love cutting, splitting, and stacking so much, plus the beers afterwards. We are all good friends with a tree service owner that piles all his hard woods up and lets us go at it, not as fun as being in the woods though. Right now there is a 50'x50' pile of white and red oak, ash, and locust. I also just bought 40 acres of oak and hickory near DesMoines but that’s the wrong way from you. I am Near Carroll if you want to do a search.

great idea...good place to post for it...CL is askin' fer' trouble IMO

computeruser...maybe try the local coffee stop...the one with old pickups out front...or the parts house, feed store, etc

That is a great idea I think.
My problem is I have limited wood resources. I just bought some tops but they won't last long and my secondary site is limited as well but if someone had the trees I would help them cut all their firewood for a share of the stock once my fodder ran out.
It's tough getting woodrights around here, everyone wants an arm and a leg for their wood and it makes it just as bad as buying propane!

Computeruser I live in N. Charlotte/Grand Ledge so I'm just a few clicks south of you. I have a cutting site in Charlotte just south of town and another in Springport.

What about posting at your local saw shop? It's a win win for them too as you'll need supplies to cut. I cut with my bil, rule is no cutting down trees unless 2 of us are there. Not a hard rule as I cut by myself quite abit but only small dead stuff to clear trails for skidding tops out. We bought a bush full of tops about a mile from his house and 15 miles from me, I usually go there and cut branches off and when he has time we both skid them out and cut into logs, load them on trailers and haul home. I carry a cell phone and am pretty careful but you never know what can happen. A bad cut and you would bleed out long before anyone got there.
If I was you I would at least make sure somone is there when you are dropping trees, it's usually the most dangerous part.

I'm in Sister Lakes, Michigan, if there are any takers close by. I see some Michigan folks posting in this thread.

Hey Geezer, you can always bring a load here since I'm closer than across state.... ;)

Well at least you should invite the son-in-law and maybe offer a good meal. (Steak will work. :hmm3grin2orange:) Might be even easier if I... uhhhh... he gets 3 years ahead on firewood stacks.

My dad and grandpa were born and raised in Decatur so I was in your area a lot as a kid. :msp_smile:

Dan, you've got a great idea here. I have help from time to time, but I spend more time supervising and trying to teach than doing anything else, so it's not real productive. I've sure seen the amount of wood a handful of experienced guys can put up in a day, let alone when a couple dozen show up at Denny's charity cuts.

I'd make a road trip down to help ya out, but my problem is time. Work wants all of mine right now. I had last weekend off, and didn't get anything done. Likely working this weekend, and there's no sign of it slowing down in the near future. It's not a bad problem to have in these times, but it is frustrating.

Anyone in the NE Twin Cities metro or western WI looking for a cutting partner, I'm game. My splitter isn't real mobile unless you have a tractor to run it, but my saws and tools sure are. I've always got something that needs cutting, sometimes just "junk" wood, sometimes good stuff.

For anyone wondering where I am, I'm 4 miles north of Star Prairie, WI.

Hopefully, this will turn into the Firewood section's version of the Swap Meet, with members helping each other out. If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll volunteer some credits to sticky this.

Seems Like a great Idea to me. I have More trees than I can ever use that need cut down and worked up, I have enough saws, a splitter, an Elevator, and the farm I cut wood on has a scoop tractor for piling brush. Would love to have someone to help cut, in return for some wood. I have been watching the Free Firewood wanted Sticky for someone in my area...

Dan, you've got a great idea here. I have help from time to time, but I spend more time supervising and trying to teach than doing anything else, so it's not real productive. I've sure seen the amount of wood a handful of experienced guys can put up in a day, let alone when a couple dozen show up at Denny's charity cuts.

I'd make a road trip down to help ya out, but my problem is time. Work wants all of mine right now. I had last weekend off, and didn't get anything done. Likely working this weekend, and there's no sign of it slowing down in the near future. It's not a bad problem to have in these times, but it is frustrating.

Anyone in the NE Twin Cities metro or western WI looking for a cutting partner, I'm game. My splitter isn't real mobile unless you have a tractor to run it, but my saws and tools sure are. I've always got something that needs cutting, sometimes just "junk" wood, sometimes good stuff.

For anyone wondering where I am, I'm 4 miles north of Star Prairie, WI.

Hopefully, this will turn into the Firewood section's version of the Swap Meet, with members helping each other out. If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll volunteer some credits to sticky this.

Steve and others

I never thought others would pick up on this ..........to be honest....I was just looking for help for myself........but it's great that others have the same need that I do.....and I'm not alone in this area.

I'm not a big fan of really long sticky threads......it's easy for info to get lost in them......like the Christmas giving thread........IMO.....a new one should be started every year with the year/date in the title......and the old one deleted

I've got one family in church that burns wood.....who we've helped each other in the past...... but this year.....when I've asked ...several times... ...no.......we're busy....then I told them.....well let me know when you're not busy.....haven't heard a word.........I've used my saws....my truck.....my fuel .......but.....he couldn't tell me when he wouldn't be busy to give me a hand splitting because my splitter was down......is he telling me to take a hike? I don't have a clue.....The guy can hardly walk.....uses two canes to walk....has to rely on his boys to carry things..... The winter before.....he needed wood....I had a huge dead standing Elm that I basically gave most of it to them..... He and I have similar interest....don't live that far apart ..... I'm getting the feeling that this guy wants to do things by himself......I guess that is how I'll leave it.

Another family I know.....I repaired a couple of computers for them......another side hobby that I dabble in.......I knew things were tough for them and I knew they burned wood.......she asked how much they owed me....I said.....how about helping me stack (just stack) some wood a few times this (last) summer...she agreed. I didn't hear a word....but did see them using the computer on facebook and such....so I knew my end of the deal was working......I came out and directly asked her and she told me that she was going to have surgery on her knee...(but what about before the knee got hurt....what about the kids????).......I didn't think my type of payment was out of line.....What I did on their computer would cost in a shop around $100.00- 200.00...... removing viruses from the kids downloading 'free' music.......without loosing their info....or having to reinstall a new OS....

Maybe I'm expecting too much from others... Maybe we are an island and are to struggle with life alone.

There are two guys that have been helping me....but they don't burn wood.....and I don't know when my "help card" is going to expire because they haven't found anything to fill my request to help them in return.

RANT over.....

Anyway....... I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance in a car (or truck if it's not too far) to help someone with fire wood in return for the same.

Back