Looking for a smaller saw for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brimmstone

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to put this here also to get a few more responses. I'm looking for a small limbing saw. I want something top handle with a 12 inch bar so I can move around a bit when I'm working. I have several larger saws for anything bigger than that. I'm open to all brands but would like to stick with Husky if possible.

Last edited:
No matter what saw's I take with me, 95% of the time one of
them will be MS180. I have it strapped to ATV most of the time
on the farm.

I think they have dropped the price back to $199 but
my dealer still has them marked at $229 though.

Gary

Actually I'm looking for one used. I was after a 335 on fleabay a while back but I got called out on a repair and missed the end of the auction. I'm looking at a Dolmar right now but doubt I'll get it as the auction ends during work. I had the little Husky 36 up a tree yesterday taking out some dead limbs and had a heck of a time trying to deal with the rear handle.

Actually I'm looking for one used. I was after a 335 on fleabay a while back but I got called out on a repair and missed the end of the auction. I'm looking at a Dolmar right now but doubt I'll get it as the auction ends during work. I had the little Husky 36 up a tree yesterday taking out some dead limbs and had a heck of a time trying to deal with the rear handle.

MS180 is rear handle.........am I missing something?

others will tell you different, but I had excellent luck with my old 335xpt. it was muffler modded and really cut strong.

335 was extremely reliable, always ran great with no issues.

my stock MS200T is slightly stronger than muffler modded 335, but was much more $$$.

I've been to all the local dealers and basically gave up on them. The cheapest I can find a Stihl for is over 400 and the Husky dealer doesn't even stock top handle saws. I was in the Echo dealer for 20 minutes and was ignored the whole time I was there. They had one I liked but the lack of help kinda turned me off from them. I unfortunately don't have a Dolmar dealer around so they are out of the running. We have on Shindaiwa dealer but they don't stock top handles and said it would be a three week wait for one.

I had an 335.........getting it started was only problem I ever
had with it. Bought it new 1998, took it back to dealer twice, was
told it was the nature of the saw. Would take 10 to 20 pulls
to get it to run, after that one or two pulls. Next day 10 to 20
pulls........sold it and bought MS200t.

brimstone... you can't go wrong going with 200T. most on AS will tell you the same. even die hard husky guys will agree 200T is the preferred choice. if you can swing the $$$...

never had starting problems with my old 335... always started 1 pull warm, 2-3 from cold.

Okay the next question is does anyone on here have something used they would like to sell. I checked a few pawn shops today and found a top handle Stihl at the one. No stickers left on it. Tons of nicks and the bar and chain were missing. Now folks sit down for the price. They have it marked at 450 dollars and he said he might take 425 as it is a 650 dollar saw. I told him to look at the Stihl website next time he prices things. I was really impressed by the 250 dollar Wildthing sitting next to it.

I've been to all the local dealers and basically gave up on them. The cheapest I can find a Stihl for is over 400 and the Husky dealer doesn't even stock top handle saws. I was in the Echo dealer for 20 minutes and was ignored the whole time I was there. They had one I liked but the lack of help kinda turned me off from them. I unfortunately don't have a Dolmar dealer around so they are out of the running. We have on Shindaiwa dealer but they don't stock top handles and said it would be a three week wait for one.

Ahhh, I see........... you're looking for a top handle.

In that case the only three options are

MS200T

Ms200T

or

MS200t

:laugh:

Seriously you should be able to pick up a MS192T brand new for less than 300.00.

or if ya just gotta gotta buy one of those orange saws you could get a Husky 338xpt for around 400.00 or the 334t for less.

Small Limbing Saw

Stihl MS180

Dolmar 401

or that little Husky ST is always go'n on about 339xp

Here is a picture of a 339 with a 13" bar that SawTroll sent me. I have been using the 339xp for small limbing. The saw is very nice to work with, starts very easy. I like to use it on the ground rather than my 338 top handle saw.

p101000205qd7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well I have several rear handle saws and like them for working on the ground. I've always liked top handle saws when I'm climbing because they have much better control and balance in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back