Looking for a top handle chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Bollaert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'e been digging through these forums, and there are a lot of good reviews on chainsaws. I'm looking to buy a top handle chainsaw. This will be used mostly for hinge cutting for whitetail deer habitat. I will be using it daily for most of the year (8+ months). I've seen mixed reviews on a lot of the newer ones, many have reported carb issues. Any recommendations? I don' care about brand or price, I just want a reliable saw.

If your not cutting solid 10"+ wood cut after cut, I'd seriously consider a new 25cc class TH saw. They are soooo light, rev out to 14k and start super easy. The new Echo CS2511t ticks many boxes and is quite cheap. Others include Stihl's MS150t. I have 201t, ms200t and other 35cc class top handles, they are not what I grab first anymore when doing small TH work. You won't find much info on the cs2511t as they are newish to the market & don't have a Stihl/husky badge.

I just got my Echo 355t not long ago. Really good saw. I bought it for a small job and now I find myself using it more and more. Plenty of power and very comfortable to use. Good price too. The new 2511t looks great too but if you're not using it for climbing, I'd suggest the 355 for more power.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If you have no qualms buying used, there are often Stihl MS200T's for sale in the classified section, refurbished by a good AS member.
Best top handle ever made, great resale value (in case you want to move to something else), strongly supported by both OE and aftermarket parts.
Mind the MS200T is a "hot rod straight from the factory" and those performances come at the price of regular maintenance.

If you just want a top handle to abuse with little maintenance and aren't too fussy about performances, any top handle from a Japanese manufacturer will do: Echo, Shindaiwa, Maruyama, Makita...

Not too many reviews on the 2511t. I'm going to ask a local repair shop if they've had any experience with it.
I'm curious about it too. I'm sure considering one. I really liked the feel of the Stihl 150 but it's more than I wanted to spend.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Not too many reviews on the 2511t. I'm going to ask a local repair shop if they've had any experience with it.

The main problems are:

1)At least here it's really expensive. Yes, I know: best thing since sliced bread to come around. But you can get a CS360T (or the Shindaiwa version) for less money at the same shop. Not many ready to pay that money for a 25cc saw, no matter how good it is.
2)The predecessor, the CS2510T (and the Shindaiwa 250TS) was withdrawn from the market due to what they called "muffler overheat". Yamabiko for once did the right thing: they withdrew all the old saws and replaced them with the new model at zero cost for the owner. Last October they will still swapping saws. That created a unwarranted bad reputation for the saw.
3)Since Husqvarna bought and started killing off the RedMax/Zenoah brand, the professional market has been pretty much split between Stihl and Husqvarna, with Yamabiko picking up the crumbs and being driven to the margins by their crappy policies towards dealerships.
4)Made in China top handles are eating up a large part of the homeowner market and I am starting to see them in the professional market as well. Just too cheap to be resisted, even if they are junk.

What is hinge cutting in deer habitat and how many minutes a day? If it is a lot of minutes I would look at the vibration numbers first. The Husqvarna 338xpt has the most advanced anti vibe that I am aware of. It also can be equipped with a rim drive so 1/4 chain and .325 chain can be used to change things up. The 355 echo fit my hand very well, I have not used one. I like the side handle to stay up front not like the echo 25cc discussed above.

Had and echo 355 t and had carburetor issues shortly after purchase, manufacturer defect, no longer have it but liked it otherwise, just got a t435 husqvarna but to little run time to say how good it is, my suggestion is to take sometime and Handel different makes and models and get what feels the best.

Glad to see so many other supporters of the cs 355t. I got mine last year and have used it heavily every day. I love it. I've let other guys at work try it out. They beg me to use it when we have a 201t and a 200t that work just fine.

The 355t starts and revs every time with no issues or delays. It has always had enough power, even with the bar buried. I can't recommend this saw enough.

Glad to see so many other supporters of the cs 355t. I got mine last year and have used it heavily every day. I love it. I've let other guys at work try it out. They beg me to use it when we have a 201t and a 200t that work just fine.

The 355t starts and revs every time with no issues or delays. It has always had enough power, even with the bar buried. I can't recommend this saw enough.
Welcome to the site! Where abouts in Utah are you?

Latest posts

Back