Looking for advice on a indoor wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHBOB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I did a few searches and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, hoping you guys can help.

I wanted to put a wood stove in this year but would have to frame in a mud room, which is going to run $1000+ excluding the price of a stove. I have recently been researching wood furnaces and they seem great, but with everything there must be a catch somewhere. I would love to be able to tie the furnace into my existing oil furnace though.

Is there any brands I should avoid/look for? My house is only about 1,200 sq ft, so I don't think I need a real large one. Only looking to spend $1500 or so, but can spend a little more if it means getting a much better quality. I was looking at the Englander on Home Depot for $1,300, its got great reviews and with a 3,000 sq ft rating should have no problem heating my house. Anyone have any feedback on this furnace?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Alright, so a little more research and I found out it is basically a decent furnace but behind the times of the new stoves, which brought me to the drolet heatmax.

I've seen it priced from 1799 to 2400. Any site sponsors in the New Hampshire area that carry them?

On sale at Menards for $1598 until Aug 2
Wow that's a good price, I was unable to find it on their site though, is it an in store only sale? The closest menards to me is Ohio, 10 hour drive.

Are there any furnaces that compare to the Drolet heatmax/tundra?

Bob, no there isn't. Tundra is the most efficient cheaper unit out there. I also live in Nh and have the Kuuma, there is no better unit in my mind, but you get what you pay for, they are pricey. I am glad I made this purchase,. for I think I would have been unhappy with anything else. Personally I say go with Kumma or psg, but I am biased to the Kuuma.

No, it is on their site in the weekly sale ad, page 21. Oh I didn't realize there aren't Menards stores up your way...I guess that means our local store is the closest one to you too?! Tundra is in a class of it's own right now. Well, in that price range anyways. The absolute mac daddy wood furnace is the Kuuma Vaporfire, but that is $4400 http://www.lamppakuuma.com/

Looks like Dan beat me by a nose...:rock:

An Observation from experience- if any unit in question is also designed to burn coal , that is its primary fuel and does a poor job with wood. Kuma is dedicated wood burning unit. Tundra is a less expensive version of the PSG Caddy. I do not know how much of the Tundra threads are still available do to the massive hacker disruption a while back but there was a lot of info on them. Hasn't been much of late. Hasn't been much on the Caddy either. Might be some still in the archives. To days dwellings are designed with forced air heating in mind, point source radiant electrical systems, hot water or low pressure steam, as such when the utility power supply is interrupted you are with out heat. Even the wood furnaces tend to leave you in the same boat. Wood stoves generally do not suffer that fate but are area heaters as such a large rambling dwelling requires more than one unit. If one looks back in time it is easy to see the construction practices of area heaters for most every room. Be it a fireplace or some type of stove.

Have you read the huuuge Drolet thread on here yet? I forget how many pages it is, but it's a lot. Should be able to find it a page or two down on the thread list. I would put it on my short list of choices - but go read the thread from start to finish.

Don't get caught with something you won't be happy with, just by trying to find the cheapest furnace. Some things are worth increasing the budget for.

I hate that answer, because its typically me saying it lol.

I couldn't agree more and am one of the biggest advocates of "you get what you pay for", but this is one battle I will not win when it comes to spending $3000. This is my wife an I first house and first wood furnace. We spent $500 a month on oil last year to keep the house above freezing. I really missed the wood stove heat I had growing up and said I wouldn't do it again. With that being said, do you feel there is a better option than a furnace if the Englander/Tundra are going to be that miserable.

I read the some of thread and it seems the issues with each are really just addressed with maintenance, which I don't mind if it means having a reliable wood heat source. For this small of a house though I cant justify spending $3000 on a furnace that can heat a 3500 sq ft house.

If there are that many issues with the heatmax/tundra, would you recommend I just stick with the Englander for my first furnace and save for a Kuuma or Caddy down the road?

I would look around & see if you can get a Tundra from somewhere closer. Save the Menards pricing info for bargaining power. Maybe email Drolet about dealers in your area. Up here, we can buy them from Home Hardware. They're all over the place, but would likely have to order in. Surely you can find a seller closer than 10hrs?

The only real issues with the Tundra was IF you used the ash drawer, which I find those remove-the-plug-and-scrape-ash-down-a-tiny-hole types that all the modern stoves have to be more hassle than they are worth anyways. Easier to just dig ashes out and be done with it rather than add an additional step to ash disposal. The ash drawer issue was dealt with by Drolet on existing units, and all the new ones coming off the assembly line have been revised for some time now I believe.
If you look closely at the Tundra thread, it was mainly 2 or 3 people doin most of the squawkin, the majority that have them seem to be pleased with them, especially more recently. I would not hesitate to recommend one to friends/family. Seems like a lot of heater for the $$$. Drolet has a decent reputation for making good products and good customer service. PM flotek, he has one...

I would look around & see if you can get a Tundra from somewhere closer. Save the Menards pricing info for bargaining power. Maybe email Drolet about dealers in your area. Up here, we can buy them from Home Hardware. They're all over the place, but would likely have to order in. Surely you can find a seller closer than 10hrs?
Yeah I agree, I found three dealers locally on Drolet's website. One quoted me at $2900 :dizzy: I told them Northern Tool has them listed at $1799, he replied I don't know how they can do that... the other two I'm waiting on phone calls back.

If all else fails, I can have the Northern Tool deal delivered to my work, but would like to find one locally priced reasonably.

The only real issues with the Tundra was IF you used the ash drawer, which I find those remove-the-plug-and-scrape-ash-down-a-tiny-hole types that all the modern stoves have to be more hassle than they are worth anyways. Easier to just dig ashes out and be done with it rather than add an additional step to ash disposal. The ash drawer issue was dealt with by Drolet on existing units, and all the new ones coming off the assembly line have been revised for some time now I believe.
If you look closely at the Tundra thread, it was mainly 2 or 3 people doin most of the squawkin, the majority that have them seem to be pleased with them, especially more recently. I would not hesitate to recommend one to friends/family. Seems like a lot of heater for the $$$. Drolet has a decent reputation for making good products and good customer service. PM flotek, he has one...
That's what I was gathering as well, of course rated relative to the Caddy and Kuuma it may not be great but for the money it seems like the best deal going (under $2000)

Can your existing ductwork handle a wood furnace, clearances, material?

I know all the duct work is brand new, plenty of clearance, I have a buddy who owns a plumbing and heating business who is going to help me put it in.

As far as material, what are you referring to?

All the ductwork must be metal. No ductboard, or plastic flex duct.

With the size of house and budget, I would without a doubt go with the Tundra.

Yeah! Too much going on this year. Trying to finish our home addition, have the garden going and I'm getting behind on firewood. That and non stop overtime.

Back