looking for good hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a bunch of hatchets I've picked up at auctions and yardsales. The kids use them for splitting kindling. Have yet to meet a hatchet I didn't like. Maybe it's just me, but for a hatchet, one is as good as another.
More than 10 years ago I found an old Craftsman carpenters hatchet like new at a garage sale. Haven't found another that feels as nice in weekly flea market visits or garage sales.

I like the good ole Estwing . Not expensive, but reliable. This one is about 30 years old. Recently had to replace the scabbard for $5 though.
polish1.jpg

Hatchets are kind of job specific. What do you need to do with it?

Since no one is really offering much help I'll jump in. woodchuck357 is correct... hatchets are sort'a specific.
I have one of those leather-wrapped, steel-handled Estwing hatchets (got it as a gift)... I hate it, it's likely one of the most uesless tools I own. It don't split kindling worth sour owl crap, the steel handle transmits way to much vibration to the arm when chopping, the leather grip is too slippery for swinging... and the damn thing is too long for hanging on your belt. It don't make a bad pry bar though ;)

Anyway, the Swedish company Gränsfors makes an excellent line of hickory handled hatchets and hand axes. They run from as light as ¾ pound up to over 3 pounds for the splitting hatchet... they even have designs based on the old war tomahawks. But a hatchet intended for chopping ain't much good for splitting, and one designed for carving and carpentry work ain't much good for swinging, etc. The camp ax style is sort'a a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none...
Still, I like the Wildlife Hatchet as an all-purpose (http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet/)
For splitting kindling and such I'd go with the heavier Splitting Hatchet (http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/gransfors-splitting-axes/gransfors-splitting-hatchet/)
And if I was gonna' carry it on my belt the Hand Hatchet would be ideal (http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-hand-hatchet/).

Oh... you'll likely drop 'round $100 for a Gränsfors.

Last edited:
I have several hatchets but wanted one I just throw in the box on the splitter so I picked up a Harbor Freight cheapo $7. It sharpened well & holds an edge well.

Got mine from them for $5. A few minutes with a 7" disc grinder, and it's an edge tool. Pretty decent steel. Good for setting wedges for bucking.

I have a 30" or so long steel handled estwing. I use it for splitting up pieces of wood for the fishhouse wood stove. Works great for that! I don't usually get into big enough trees to have to pound in wedges. I only use em for bucking up logs.

Like others have said, depends what you are gonna do with it, but I like my Fiskars X7. It's hanging right next to my wood gobbler, makes a nice pile of kindling in a hurry. Sharp as heck, don't even brush across your skin, you will start leaking!

Last edited:
Based on his chainsaw mill videos, I would highly doubt he's a machinist.

From all of the videos of his I've watched , he knows the theory and then portrays himself as something he's not .
A lot more talent/skill/knowledge on this website than anything I've seen him do JMHO

For a quality cheap low maintenance hatchet Fiskars/Gerber are a winner with Estwing close behind for splitting and hacking apart splits , for cutting brush and saplings Gypo is right on the money , no axe will come close .
Always something nice about old quality iron or Swedish steel as well .

100_2563.JPG

I have the fiskars hatchet, it is pretty nice...but..if and when (once in a great while for fun) I want to split small for kindling, I just use the same supersplitter axe. Just keep aiming smaller...fat pine inside the tire, split away.

I use the hatchet to trim the kindling off the tree,the longer thin stuff, but I don't split with it.

I have never used a hatchet to split kindling, not that I can recall right now....mostly, I just break up small branches with my hands. Cut them off, let them season until crispy, then break em up right into a bucket to bring in.

Any generic tree has all the right size kindling already installed on it..you just got to harvest it.

From all of the videos of his I've watched , he knows the theory and then portrays himself as something he's not .
A lot more talent/skill/knowledge on this website than anything I've seen him do JMHO

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/07...ng--our-ten-year-journey-by-wranglerstar.html

From this it sounds like he's a web monkey by trade. I've only watched (literally) a couple of his video's, and I don't know a self respecting machinist who'd buy a granberg over building their own. :p They also wouldn't use wood for guide bars. Wood swells, warps, bows, twists, cups, splinters, and flexes = all traits that annoy the piss out of machinists. If we wanted things to move around on us we'd be welding. :laugh: Machinists also know you can buy aluminum in 12' sticks and don't need to screw 2' pieces to a 12' board to get them. (which he was doing in one video of his I saw)

That's not to say he's not intelligent, I just don't see him as a machinist just like you guys shouldn't see me as a logger (at least not yet). ;)

I use mine to cut kindling, but I use scrap 2x4s and firring strips. I do cut strips off a split for kindling sometimes and I've never had a problem with it. I sharpen it on the same stone as my knife, and it takes a real nice edge. I have an old Plumb for the heavier stuff. Guess it all depends on what you use it for.

I recently acquired a council tool limbing hatchet and must say I'm very impressed. Been using it for splitting kindling with it recently and very impressed with this little tool. Well balanced, right weight 18 inch handle. I picked it up locally, but have noticed that bailey's has them much cheaper.

I have the fiskars hatchet, it is pretty nice...but..if and when (once in a great while for fun) I want to split small for kindling, I just use the same supersplitter axe. Just keep aiming smaller...fat pine inside the tire, split away.
For splitting kindling that's what I do. As a matter-of-fact, The lady complains about me splitting to much small wood when I get carried away with the ax--tire combo.

I recently acquired a council tool limbing hatchet and must say I'm very impressed. Been using it for splitting kindling with it recently and very impressed with this little tool. Well balanced, right weight 18 inch handle. I picked it up locally, but have noticed that bailey's has them much cheaper.

Had to look this one up. Never heard of it. Fairly new U.S.A. Company. Yours is the Hudson Bay. Nice, comes with U.S.A. leather sheath for lil over $50. Also have a hunters 14 in axe for $30.
Out of curiosity, I checked the new Estwing prices are around $40. Big difference from what I paid many moon's ago. They have a Special Edition 'FireSide Friend' Hatchet with a 4 pound head that looks interesting.

Had to look this one up. Never heard of it. Fairly new U.S.A. Company. Yours is the Hudson Bay. Nice, comes with U.S.A. leather sheath for lil over $50. Also have a hunters 14 in axe for $30.
Out of curiosity, I checked the new Estwing prices are around $40. Big difference from what I paid many moon's ago. They have a Special Edition 'FireSide Friend' Hatchet with a 4 pound head that looks interesting.

Yeah, I'm really trying to buy US when I can. I'm very pleased with this little hatchet/axe. I'm really getting ready to pull the trigger on their 36" Jersey Axe as well. Can pick up the hatchet or their 26" axe at baileys for under $30 which is a bargain in my opinion.

Consider a large Field/Bush knife for splitting the small stuff. I pretty much "baton" everything these days. From 2X4 scraps for kindling to larger bonfire pieces. It is fun to do and allows you more control over the tool and the material. The best production option out there is probably the ESEE Junglas (http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RC...te-10-inch-Blade-Micarta-Handles-Kydex-Sheath) Combine that knife with a nice deadblow hammer and you have an awesome field grade knife that can split smaller stuff and also works well chopping or doing small limbing work.

If you are set on a hatchet though, the Estwing is an excellent option and available everywhere in different lengths. The Husqvarna hatchets and axes are also excellent tools made out of superior steels. I have the carpenters axe from them and it is my favorite hand axe. I got mine from a local Husqvarna dealer.

Yeah, I'm really trying to buy US when I can. I'm very pleased with this little hatchet/axe. I'm really getting ready to pull the trigger on their 36" Jersey Axe as well. Can pick up the hatchet or their 26" axe at baileys for under $30 which is a bargain in my opinion.
Hmmm! I'll have to check out 'Baileys'. Not that I'm in need, but I do like the looks of that Hudson Bay. The Jersey looks like a good buy, but the Velvicut , well, it's too expensive for me, but it's sure pretty.

Back