Looking for saw recommendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelinMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been looking around the Arborist site and have been impressed with the wealth of information and the courtesy of the membership here. Now, I'm hoping to draw upon this vast knowledge base and at the same time ask for your patience with someone fairly new to chainsaws.

Last week I had an approximately 60ft, two stem Oak (the stump is easily 5-6' across) taken down by a tree service. As a cost-saving measure I agreed to let them stack the limbs and branches on a section of my property for me to deal with later. As you might imagine from a tree that size, the resulting 'stack' is rather impressive. Some of these limbs are a good 12" if not a little more. I don't mind doing the work, and I'll use or sell the wood so it works out. My question though is what size/model chainsaw do I need? I'm looking primarily at Stihl and Echo (I have independent dealer support for both in town) and have considered everything from the MS170/CS 310 to the MS251/CS 400. I'll use this saw a few times a year most likely. Any and all recommendations and advice would be most welcome.

Thank you all for your time and consideration of my questions.

You'll more than likely never regret have too much power. Most opinions on here will be towards the pro series saws. Depends on what you're willing to spend.

In all honestly when I hear a huge pile of limbs I was thinking this was going towards diesel or your choice of accelerant and maybe a cooler to watch it burn :).

But one thing to make sure of is watch out for snakes as they like to congregate in those type piles.

The Echo CS400 is a workhorse for its size, especially if muffler mod and retune. It doesn't beat you up and is easy to control. For those that know my posts, I have to say it. Echo's warranty is a total joke if you would have to use it but the 400 is a great saw for the money. Watch those brush piles, amazing how quick you can get tangled up and trip.

Hello everyone,
I've been looking around the Arborist site and have been impressed with the wealth of information and the courtesy of the membership here. Now, I'm hoping to draw upon this vast knowledge base and at the same time ask for your patience with someone fairly new to chainsaws.

Last week I had an approximately 60ft, two stem Oak (the stump is easily 5-6' across) taken down by a tree service. As a cost-saving measure I agreed to let them stack the limbs and branches on a section of my property for me to deal with later. As you might imagine from a tree that size, the resulting 'stack' is rather impressive. Some of these limbs are a good 12" if not a little more. I don't mind doing the work, and I'll use or sell the wood so it works out. My question though is what size/model chainsaw do I need? I'm looking primarily at Stihl and Echo (I have independent dealer support for both in town) and have considered everything from the MS170/CS 310 to the MS251/CS 400. I'll use this saw a few times a year most likely. Any and all recommendations and advice would be most welcome.

Thank you all for your time and consideration of my questions.
Welcome to the site,
I think that proper maintenance is more important than what saw you choose.

Learn to sharpen chains properly, keep your air filter and other components clean and always run non-ethanol fuel; if you do this, no matter what saw you choose it should serve you well.

And of course, protective gear is a good idea too.

i would avoid stihls plastic clamshell saws.

now dolmar/ makita makes some real runners in the smaller sizes that you might be interested in.

there are some dolmar and echo dealers on AS . i suspect you could come up with a good deal by chatting them up.

For an occasional use saw, I would pick up an Echo - possibly a CS490. You will enjoy the extra power of a 50cc saw, and the price won't break the bank. It is light enough to make handling a non-issue as well. If you can get it on one of Echo's 20% off days, it's a deal that is hard to beat.

I would avoid the MS170 for the work you are describing. It is fine for light limbing, but when you start bucking up 12" hardwood, it will be slow going.

If money is no object, get a 50cc pro saw. But be careful - CAD is a highly transmittable disease.:crazy2:

I'd say the there's many times over more firewood cut every year with a clamshell stihl than any other saw,Ms290 is a cheap saw but it's also a very good weekend warrior saw but i always say to buy the biggest and best saw you can.

Low cost option:
Echo 490 and another low cost option would be a poulan pro 5020.

My choice:
Dolmar 421 = Makita 4300, by far the best deal out there, in my eyes, if taking into consideration the whole package (= easy start, pro build quality, great power, etc)

You'll more than likely never regret have too much power. Most opinions on here will be towards the pro series saws. Depends on what you're willing to spend.

In all honestly when I hear a huge pile of limbs I was thinking this was going towards diesel or your choice of accelerant and maybe a cooler to watch it burn :).

But one thing to make sure of is watch out for snakes as they like to congregate in those type piles.
Thanks for the advice about snakes and about never having too much power. I'd been looking at the 30-40cc saws, so maybe I need to widen my horizons.

I appreciate everyone's advice and recommendations, so thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I'll most likely go with an Echo based on recommendations received here and my own further research. Probably a CS 400 or CS 490. I'm going to look into the Dolmar saws before making a decision however, provided I can find a dealer within reasonable distance.

If you don't have to have new then you can check out saws for sale on here. Some people want a pretty penny but occasionally you can find a good deal

I have a nice wicked work saws echo cs600 I'll take 350$ for.
20" bar and chain included

If you like new then check Maruyama MCV51, a rebranded Dolmar 5105, made by Dolmar in Germany for Maruyama. Great saw, I have 2. I also have Echo 400's and 490's. If I had to pick between the 2, the 400. Great saw for its size. Love using it.

People say the dolmar 421 is a great saw, I have never ran or held one my self...

I cut a lot of firewood, (heat my house and hot water 6-months out of the year) and do tree work on the side, after my regular job....I have pro saws, but I will tell you I have a ms250 that has probably made as much money as any other saw I have...just did a $600 job with it yesterday, (only have to make 2-3 cuts with my ms461 at the stump end)....

With that said, if you decide to go the ms250/ms251, ineould getbthe ms250....they are still at dealers in my area, and they were on sale for $300 last time I was in there...
IMG_2491.PNG
IMG_2488.JPG

Latest posts

Back