Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Been using a Husky 365 XP special that is about 20 yrs old. Never had a problem with it. It cut about 20 cord a year since new. Don't have it to use anymore. Gotta get my own now. Anyways, I'd like to get one similar but maybe a bit more power. The old one had a 20" bar. Kinda like the Husky. Been told to get a pro saw and not a home owner saw. Looking for opinions on what I should be looking for. Stihl or Husky would probably what I would look at since I have a dealer for both nearby but Husky dealer is a bit closer. Fire away.

Thanks Philip. Husky is all I have ran. I do like the Husky I have ran for the last 10 yrs but not afraid to try Stihl either. I still have a Husky 41 from about 1994 that still works fine. Never been rebuilt or touched. Just replaced the fuel lines this spring. I don't know but these two Husky's were bought before 2000 and haven't given us a lick of problems. Both have been used to cut a little over 20 cords a year out of the bush so far. Gonna keep using the 41 for small stuff.

The 570 was going to replace the 365 but was never very popular. The 365xt is the replacement for the 365 currently. With a little grinding on the restrictors, the 365xt can be turned into a 372xt. I have both a 365xt and a 2165-same as your 365. The 365xt is a little stronger and a little heavier.

I'd say that cutting as much as you do buying new would be a good approach. Warranty and the peace of mind would be worth the extra $. If you only cut 5 or 6 cord used would be a great idea but 10+ it starts being worth the extra ppennies to start fresh

You need to message Terry Landrum "WIcked Worksaws" and have him ship you a Husq or Jonsered. Husq365 Jonsered2166 or Husq 372 Jonsered 2172 are the ones I would look at. Pick one of the first two and for $50 more he will grind the transfer out and make it a 372/2172. I bet he can beat Husq prices in Canada as well.

20 cords, What species and diameter wood are you cutting? I would like to know that in order to recommend you an adequate saw. 60cc range is typically a good all around saw especially for general firewood however you might be able to get away with a 50cc class saw and save some money and weight, or make the jump to the 70cc class.

Look at Dolmar or Shindawa both great saws. They both will last awile also. The new Stihls or Huskys if something goes south it can run into money fixing them. They are still great saws wouldnt have an issue running either. And you'll be suprised by a Dolmar.

You need to message Terry Landrum "WIcked Worksaws" and have him ship you a Husq or Jonsered. Husq365 Jonsered2166 or Husq 372 Jonsered 2172 are the ones I would look at. Pick one of the first two and for $50 more he will grind the transfer out and make it a 372/2172. I bet he can beat Husq prices in Canada as well.

+1 Best idea yet. You like the 365. Buy one for yourself (x-torq version) and convert it to a 372xp-xtorq.

I think if you were happy with the 365 you'll be pleased with the newer version. Plus you get a bump in cc on the newer version.

Thanks for the opinions guys! Gives me something to think about.Burn mostly white oak, yellow birch, ironwood and maple. Mostly white oak. Biggest is in the 30" range but not too much that size. Too big to handle to split. Most maybe in the 8" to 20" range. Hard to say. Start out big but by the end, stuff seems to get smaller. LOL! I got the attitude of "better to be looking at it than looking for it" saw wise.

Everyone knows I'm a husky guy, but stihls are top notch too. For 20cord a year,a 70cc firewood machine is what you need. 372 or 440/441/044 those saws will give that little more grunt your after slaughter firewood. But notice I did list the Husqvarna first.

Back