Loving the February weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to say that all of this mild weather here in VT has been great. Today it was 19 in the morning but warmed up very nicely to around 28. I have been able to get up on the back side of the hill all year long. I spent the morning cutting up the last of a maple that was put down earlier.
attachment.php

All of the easy stuff was already down the hill so it was time to make some noodles.
attachment.php

I have had to plow snow exactly once this year and I'm not sure I miss it.

This winter has been great to get things done outdoors. After all the snow we had last winter it's nice to get a break. Like yourself I have been getting out in the woods and getting ahead for next winters wood and this should give me more time for other things later on!!!:rock:

King Kutter dump trailer. We picked it up from Clist a couple of years ago. It works great with the walking axle on uneven ground and can hold quite a bit of wood.
attachment.php

Hey I finally hit 200 posts!

Last edited:
Jack Rabbits

I spent some time in Vermont once when we had cold and snow in the fall, then it got warm and all the snow melted and..jack rabbit hunting! Almost too easy, just go out, look across brown fields, spot the white rabbits.

Supposed to hit 60 here this week as everyone else is doing so am I trying to get a jump on next years supply

Yeah, me too… I’ve only plowed snow once this year. We did get a couple inches of wet, heavy snow last night but with temps predicted near 40 today it’ll be gone by day’s end. They’re sayin’ mid to upper 40’s all week, maybe even 50 if the sun breaks through. It’s more likely we’ll see clouds and wind though, with a chance for rain/snow anytime throughout the week. We ain’t likely to see overnights drop below freezing till Friday night.

Gotta’ love it, mid-February and I ain’t even wearing a jacket… heavy flannel shirt is all that’s needed. Only 8 days of February left on the calendar… I’m thinkin’ early spring fur-sure, and likely a dry summer. If’n this warm trend continues into March I’ll be seeing undergrowth start green-up before April, which makes it tough to work in the woodlot, so I’ll be cuttin’ up a storm whenever I have the time. Felled two big oaks on Sunday, figured I’d put ‘em on the ground before the sap started. I need to get my new furnace built so I can get back to them. And I’ve got maybe 5-cord in the woodlot, ash and hard maple laying in rounds that I need to get split.

Nice trailer.

Yeah, me too… I’ve only plowed snow once this year. We did get a couple inches of wet, heavy snow last night but with temps predicted near 40 today it’ll be gone by day’s end. They’re sayin’ mid to upper 40’s all week, maybe even 50 if the sun breaks through. It’s more likely we’ll see clouds and wind though, with a chance for rain/snow anytime throughout the week. We ain’t likely to see overnights drop below freezing till Friday night.

Gotta’ love it, mid-February and I ain’t even wearing a jacket… heavy flannel shirt is all that’s needed. Only 8 days of February left on the calendar… I’m thinkin’ early spring fur-sure, and likely a dry summer. If’n this warm trend continues into March I’ll be seeing undergrowth start green-up before April, which makes it tough to work in the woodlot, so I’ll be cuttin’ up a storm whenever I have the time. Felled two big oaks on Sunday, figured I’d put ‘em on the ground before the sap started. I need to get my new furnace built so I can get back to them. And I’ve got maybe 5-cord in the woodlot, ash and hard maple laying in rounds that I need to get split.

Nice trailer.

Unless something changes, I am going to have to start mowing real soon now. Technically I should mow my own yard right now, but it is still azz deep in branches. I'm going to cut a lot more today in that pile. I'm milking all that oak out!

Frogs are out peeping and ker-oking, bugs flying around, big Vs of geese headed north, dandelions already gone to puffballs, etc. It's just MUDDY everywhere.

My place is a muddy mess,not usual for this time of year.To many freeze,thaw cycles little snow lots of rain.Kinda put my wood dragging on hold for now.

I'm all done splitting and stacking for next year. With all this nice weather we've had this winter I haven't used quite as much wood as I anticipated and have been able to keep at it.

The last couple years, spring time around here just sucks for getting wood out with all the rain so it's nice to be ahead.

Seems I end up doing a lot of my splitting in June/July.

I am getting a little itchy though. I think I saw some dust on my 441. I need to go make some sawdust

Meh. Sucky winter to be a backcountry skier. Not a bad winter to be a cyclist.

Good thing I do both.

I think that's called hedging your bets or something.

Tomatoes

LadyZ just walked in with two ripe tomatoes from the greenhouse. And this isn't a heated greenhouse now, propane is just too high for that, so we just use it like a big coldframe. Warmest winter yet here to still be getting tomatoes. We keep some in there and push it as long as possible, usually by December that's it. Be a hoot if they just keep going! (long range plan is a combo of woodchip heat, plus make a kiln, burn crap wood to heat the kiln, blow warm kiln exhaust air into the greenhouse on real cold nights.)

I did one garden spot outside so far with the rototiller, but it is just too dang muddy. Another garden spot I am trying just a heaped up area of old hay, just dump it right on over the weeds and stuff, leftover cleanings from the barn and the hay rings, stuff the cows don't eat. I'm putting that stuff like a foot deep all over, packed, then open up little planting areas and slide the started plants in. That's going to be my melon patch this year. I did it years ago whej I lived up north and it worked good. Another area like that I am doing the same thing, just with spuds, and keep adding more layers of loose hay as the vines grow up.

Oh, BTW for you gardening geeks. I found out you could resprout celery. Just do like a pineapple, take the cut off stalk end, the part that is left over after you cut off what you eat, the old root area, and slap it in some water or wet dirt. We have one sprouting and growing good now. Two days to start sprouting, tons of little new leaves on it. Gonna do a bunch of them in an earthbox.

LadyZ just walked in with two ripe tomatoes from the greenhouse. And this isn't a heated greenhouse now, propane is just too high for that, so we just use it like a big coldframe. Warmest winter yet here to still be getting tomatoes. We keep some in there and push it as long as possible, usually by December that's it. Be a hoot if they just keep going! (long range plan is a combo of woodchip heat, plus make a kiln, burn crap wood to heat the kiln, blow warm kiln exhaust air into the greenhouse on real cold nights.)

I did one garden spot outside so far with the rototiller, but it is just too dang muddy. Another garden spot I am trying just a heaped up area of old hay, just dump it right on over the weeds and stuff, leftover cleanings from the barn and the hay rings, stuff the cows don't eat. I'm putting that stuff like a foot deep all over, packed, then open up little planting areas and slide the started plants in. That's going to be my melon patch this year. I did it years ago whej I lived up north and it worked good. Another area like that I am doing the same thing, just with spuds, and keep adding more layers of loose hay as the vines grow up.

Oh, BTW for you gardening geeks. I found out you could resprout celery. Just do like a pineapple, take the cut off stalk end, the part that is left over after you cut off what you eat, the old root area, and slap it in some water or wet dirt. We have one sprouting and growing good now. Two days to start sprouting, tons of little new leaves on it. Gonna do a bunch of them in an earthbox.

You don't get grass growing up from the hayseed?

I'm going to try your tip on the celery and give you one in return-
I prepare planting rows in the fall for early stuff like peas, spinach and other greeens so I don't have to work the soil in the spring because it is often too muddy. When I get to mid April I can just sow the seeds, cover and I'm good to go. I've had good results so far.

You don't get grass growing up from the hayseed?

I'm going to try your tip on the celery and give you one in return-
I prepare planting rows in the fall for early stuff like peas, spinach and other greeens so I don't have to work the soil in the spring because it is often too muddy. When I get to mid April I can just sow the seeds, cover and I'm good to go. I've had good results so far.

If the hay is thick and packed down, no, not much weeds for that season. And you can keep layering it on. google ruth stout method.

We do a lot of fall planting outside (by a lot I mean a coupla rows) and most of it winters over and takes off again in the spring, so in a sense I am preparing the beds then..I just plant then as well. We grow year round here, stuff like cabbages and greens , etc, go right through our winters OK, even if we get a lot of frost and snow, which is rare but happens. And in the greenhouse, most stuff makes it OK 10 months out of the year,and the winter stuff just keeps growing. We've taken broccolis off of multi year old plants before.

The biggest problem here is some sort of wild bermuda looking grass/weed/stuff. Not saying it is bermuda,. just looks like it a little.. it is relentless, grows like two feet deep, spreads that way, then on the surface puts out real long runners as well. Invades everywhere, but cool wet and shade slows it down a lot. Unfortunately, you want your garden in a sunny area, so it gets in there.. It's a hot season grass thing, the cows don't like it at all, they ignore it, and it chokes stuff out. The local extension service guys are only able to guess what it is, despite me bringing in two samples. I've seen it all over the county for a few years now. You can hit it with glyphosate, but I've seen it come back too. My Gf and I call it #^%#$#@ creepy grass. In the spring some fescue will poke up through it, the cows will sorta start munching on it then, its like they will tolerate it then, but as soon as hot weather hits the fescue in it disappears and they won't touch the stuff.

Latest posts

Back