m10 vs m8 bar nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found out the hard way that the bar nuts on Stihl saws vary. I was at the saw shop the other day, test fitting a new chain on the MS880, and a bar nut took off and landed squarely in the middle of the underside of a fully loaded pallet crate. Parts guy says no problem I'll just get one off a bench in the back. I guess m8 is the most common size, but there are m10s out there. And of course the shop didn't have one in stock so we had to move the GDamn crate.

Now I am looking to buy an extra or two. Baileys (why even click on the link) wants $14.99 per nut. WTF!!!!

I'll be calling around later today, and I will likely have to order a nut or two, but what prices should I be hearing?

The bar nut is M10 on the MS 880. This M10 nut (0000 955 0903) is also used on the 084, 088 and 08S. The M8 sprocket cover nut (0000 955 0801) is used on most of the other chainsaws, electric saws, pole pruners and so on.

Sounds right. I will make the call and get these ordered. I once lost a nut out in the wilderness, before I put my kit together. Luckily my neighbor had an extra saw, and we cannibalized his saw to get mine back working. Always have a spare nut, and now it is one each, a m8 and a m10.

Stihl dealer

0000 955 0903 NUT 1.99

1.10 here in va

2.49 at my dealer. I needs them, sos I orders them.

Like all things in Montana, a long drive, about 80 for this trip. Everything cost $xx for the drive to get them. This is why Amazon is so popular, Rural people depend on them. But they don't sell these nuts. Damn!

.... I once lost a nut out in the wilderness, before I put my kit together. Luckily my neighbor had an extra saw, and we cannibalized his saw to get mine back working. Always have a spare nut, and now it is one each, a m8 and a m10.

Hurricane Ike uprooted a Red Bud tree in my back yard. Some time during cutting it up I lost a nut off my 025; at the time it was my only saw. Went to my dealer and the guy in front of me was buying all their Stihl bar nuts. I talked him out of one. Since then I keep several sets in my box.

I am still waiting on these. I called the dealer, and they haven't gotten anything from Stihl since before Thanksgivings. I might never need these but it if for the kit, just in case, and is something I like to get complete and not have to think about.

Back