main as a choker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
y'all western guys might know, has there ever been made a type of slide to put on the main line to hook back into itself? a big slip hook would work but will kink the cable.
see, if i'm using the clark its because the sticks are big, so only going to pull one any way.......why have all that crap on the end.........plus it would adjust to any size tree no matter how big.
surely some thing like that has been made some time............some thing that comes apart would be a plus.

You get rain today mang? I fired my saw when I could make out the shape of the first tree this morning...10 mins later it started and set in a good rain. I don't have any rain gear for this year and after 4 1/2 hours of that crap I was headed to the house!

no, we gonna get it thursday........greedy ass farmer cut the beans and put a tractor discing right away........it will be in wheat in the morning.
he got free rent this year too............ima tear up some wheat lol. i can be a p###k too...........

**** chains...

put a small bullet end on and a regular choker bell as the last in line, the regular bell will stop on the small bullet and hold the sliders in place and when you want or need to you can just use the last bit of mainline as a choker. Just have a mess of empty chokers hanging around and dragging in the muck when you pull a big log, or you could even use the main "choker" along with the regular chokers.

It will cause more wear and tear on the main line though. But I think you may be on to something.

You may need to source one of those monster bells from out here though. I think that the mini's are only good up to like 3/4 line then you have to get the bigger bell and knob.

5/8 or 3/4 work fine until it gets old.
there is no where close to get a bullet mashed on..........you don't mean the kind you put on your self?
i did see big choker bells on a site on the west coast......shipping will be tough. i was kinda hopeing for some thing i can put on the cable.
getting it made could be done with shipping but when it breaks......and it will.......back to square one. how ever, i bet ya could pull alot of timber before it wears as ya won't be sliding it through slides.

I use the 1/2" selfie ends for chokers all the time, stands to reason that the larger ones would fit a larger bell? just have to seat it and trim it right away, instead of getting lazy and waiting awhile to trim it.

Upside is the wedge end arn't too bad to replace with a little practice. And you could add it now if need be, or wait until it breaks again, which should be sometime next week...

If you can't find something local, I may be able to scrounge something up, Local rigging shop is pretty sweet, and they look pretty bored most of the time.

Worse case Woods Logging Supply in Sedro Wooley has the large chokers and the wedge ends.

I use the 1/2" selfie ends for chokers all the time, stands to reason that the larger ones would fit a larger bell? just have to seat it and trim it right away, instead of getting lazy and waiting awhile to trim it.

Upside is the wedge end arn't too bad to replace with a little practice. And you could add it now if need be, or wait until it breaks again, which should be sometime next week...

If you can't find something local, I may be able to scrounge something up, Local rigging shop is pretty sweet, and they look pretty bored most of the time.

Worse case Woods Logging Supply in Sedro Wooley has the large chokers and the wedge ends.
where are you getting those? i havn't seen them in years even in the books.

yea, i ain't ever sen a 3/4 choker lol..........i think this would eliminate most breakedge dealing with big heavy timber.
i see 50' 3/4 chokers pre made.......a bit short and of course high shipping.

Back