Makita 6401 a good deal for...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you were going to see what cuttinscott could do for you? He may very well have a saw for you, within your price range... And he's close enough to service it too.

So you've spoken with him about a saw?

And, yes, that new 6401 would be a good deal.

Last edited:
Oh. I know you're shopping for a deal... Doesn't he have a low hour saw in your range?

dunno if he does. but a new 6401 for under 400 is gonna be hard to beat. i was going 5100, but in the end this will be cheaper, and still new, and dolmar. not worried about the blue color, or couple lbs. this deal is to good to pass on i think. thats why i wanted input from the masses on their take.

It is a good deal... Power-head alone is over 5 bills.

yeah, i am now thinking if i get the 6401 i will look for a smaller saw with like a 14 inch bar to use for limbing or little stuff. this would give me all i ever need, at a great price.

If all of the work you need/want to do can be done with a 5100, buy it and keep things simple. If you need the extra 1 HP max (3.8 vs 4.7?) of the 6401 then you are in the 2 saw plan. I bought a 6401 for $420 a couple months ago (w/ warranty) and just bought a 5100 on Friday for $405 total (any medication for CAD?). Where I will use the saws, about 70% of the work can be done with a 5100 which reportedly weighs about 15 lbs full with an 18 inch b/c. My 6401 weighs close to 20lbs full with a 20 inch b/c. Members say the 5100 can be used for limbing but the 6401 is a pain and I believe it. If my 6401 can't do all the big work, it will turn into a 7900. Also keep in mind the effective bar length of a 20inch 6401 is 18inches because of the big dawgs/spikes and the 5100 is about 17 inches I have read.

With regard to small saws some choices are the dcs34=$180, the dcs401=$250, an Echo cs-370=$200 and I didn't search the Husky Stihl Solo etc saws in detail. I was looking to replace my echo 302.

So why not just have one 5100 if it can do all your work? It seemed cost was a priority for you. The Ebay deals for a 6401 under $400 are attractive though. Good luck.

If all of the work you need/want to do can be done with a 5100, buy it and keep things simple. If you need the extra 1 HP max (3.8 vs 4.7?) of the 6401 then you are in the 2 saw plan.
So why not just have one 5100 if it can do all your work? It seemed cost was a priority for you. The Ebay deals for a 6401 under $400 are attractive though. Good luck.

+1

just because you can get a good deal on something that you don't need means it was a great buy!!!

I use a Stihl 180 for everything!!! and am very happy with it. It might take longer but I am not in a hurry to process large amounts of wood. I just have a nice fireplace that needs some feeding.

I this forum I might be excluded for not being a CAD addict but I can live with that and don't believe that the biggest badest is the best.

7sleeper from Austria

If I were doing primarily limbing and some cutting, the 5100 would be my pick. 6401 is a bit clunky for that kind of work. The price is right, I just don't think the saw is right for the job you need.

Mark

So my 6401 started as just that, a 6401. When I realized that my 036 would really like a 16" bar with 3/8 chain, and the 6401 would much rather be a 7901, I switched things around. Now I have to admit, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a 288 and a 394, but that 7901 size is literally just right. When it was a 6401 it was no slouch, but it wasn't as nimble as the next "chassis size" down. I would probably grab the 5100 rocket, and save up for the 7900 if I were you. Yeah $400 sounds great, and $200 conversion is easy math, but you would already have a truly awesome saw with a 5100, all the while waiting for the 7900 in the future, instead of secretly wishing there was a defect with your 6401 and you would need to IMMEDIATELY change the head over to a 7901... (Now you know the story I told the wife).

Either way, your gonna be happy.

Jason

So my 6401 started as just that, a 6401. When I realized that my 036 would really like a 16" bar with 3/8 chain, and the 6401 would much rather be a 7901, I switched things around. Now I have to admit, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a 288 and a 394, but that 7901 size is literally just right. When it was a 6401 it was no slouch, but it wasn't as nimble as the next "chassis size" down. I would probably grab the 5100 rocket, and save up for the 7900 if I were you. Yeah $400 sounds great, and $200 conversion is easy math, but you would already have a truly awesome saw with a 5100, all the while waiting for the 7900 in the future, instead of secretly wishing there was a defect with your 6401 and you would need to IMMEDIATELY change the head over to a 7901... (Now you know the story I told the wife).

Either way, your gonna be happy.

Jason
yeah i think thhe way i am going to go. 5100 now, 7901 later. thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated.

yeah i think thhe way i am going to go. 5100 now, 7901 later. thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated.

I got a Makita 6401 for $418.- from tool[ shed barn ?] It included free shipping. I really like the saw, the only saw I had to compare it to was a husky 350. The saw starts easy cuts well I was cutting 24" eucalyptus with a stock 20" bar. I could stop the saw by forcing it in the cut, but if I let the saw do the work it did not stall. IT runs really smooth. I am very happy with my purchace David.

Back