Makita chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conifercaner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondered if anyone has used or are using Makita Chainsaws!!!

I am currently using a 6 month old Husky 350.
It is being used to cut down and cut up Huge Conifers, the largest being 24 inches across. The 350 is doing a good job but i could do with a tad more power. I can get a Makita DCS6401 with an 18 inch bar for £340, this has 4.7 hp compared to my Husky with 3.1 hp, this cost £350
Your help would be most appreciated
Atvb CC

The 6401 7901 range of saws are good, They are the same saw but with a different piston and cylinder to go from 64cc to 79cc

I have a Makita DCS7900 its the same as the 7901 but with out the de-comp starter.
The 7900/7801 is the Dolmar PS7900 in the US

DCS = Dolmar Chain Saw.

It will outcut a Husky 350 by a huge margin!

I have a DCS-401
a DCS-540
and a DCS-6401 that I upgraded with the Piston and cylinder from a 7900.

I think the Makitas are as good or better than ANYTHING on the market.
A 6401 will pull a 20" B/C nicely in conifers and I wouldn't have a problem putting a 24" on there.
Some here will probably tell you that a 24 would be too big but I don't think so.
If you are looking for a really good saw, buy the 6401. I don't know about conversion rates but that sounds high if the pound is approx 2 dollars American. You might check e-bay, they often sell there new for around $400.00 American.

Mike

I have a DCS-401
a DCS-540
and a DCS-6401 that I upgraded with the Piston and cylinder from a 7900.

I think the Makitas are as good or better than ANYTHING on the market.
A 6401 will pull a 20" B/C nicely in conifers and I wouldn't have a problem putting a 24" on there.
Some here will probably tell you that a 24 would be too big but I don't think so.
If you are looking for a really good saw, buy the 6401. I don't know about conversion rates but that sounds high if the pound is approx 2 dollars American. You might check e-bay, they often sell there new for around $400.00 American.

Mike

Its a good price for the UK the list price of a 7900 here is over £700 $1000
Mine was £450 a MS361 is £600 if you haggle them down from £700!

On Ebay UK they are £375, i will check the site for the the larger cc models and get back to you all
Thanks for the replies so far
CC:clap:

Boo boo, i didn't see the smallprint. I have to add vat
The DSC 4601 is £391, ebay £375
The DSC 7301 is £434, ebay £425
The DSC 7901 is £469
I can get the ones without a decompressor for between £7 and £11 less but at this size of engine i think the extra would be money well spent.
What do you all think?
atb CC:)

Boo boo, i didn't see the smallprint. I have to add vat
So the one i was looking at is £391
The DSC 7301 is £434, ebay £425
The DSC 7901 is £469
I can get the ones without a decompressor for between £7 and £11 less but at this size of engine i think the extra would be money well spent.
What do you all think?
atb CC:)

Get the de-comp version mine does not have it and will rip the starter out of your hand even with a Stihl Elastostart shock absorbing handle!
The other thing to look at is they normally only come with a 18" bsr so you may need to upgrade that but it will work very well with an 18" its just that you have to cut from both sides.

For £469 you would not get a Husky 357XP they seem to be great value saws.
The only problem is you will end up with loads of spare time as they cut so fast!:)

Ignore all the hardass Americans who will tell you they never use the de-comp lol

Get the de-comp version mine does not have it and will rip the starter out of your hand even with a Stihl Elastostart shock absorbing handle!
The other thing to look at is they normally only come with a 18" bsr so you may need to upgrade that but it will work very well with an 18" its just that you have to cut from both sides.

For £469 you would not get a Husky 357XP they seem to be great value saws.
The only problem is you will end up with loads of spare time as they cut so fast!:)

Ignore all the hardass Americans who will tell you they never use the de-comp lol

What size bar would you recommend? or what size will each saw pull out of the three different models i have mentioned?
atb CC

What size bar would you recommend? or what size will each saw pull out of the three different models i have mentioned?
atb CC

Dangerous question!
I would think the 6401 would be great with a 20" but the balance is near perfect with an 18"
I have no experience with the 7301 but i would think it would pull a 24" easy i know the 7900 pulls a 25" in softwood like your cutting balsa!
Im betting it would handle a 28" easy but mine has been muffler modded for a bit more power.
But it a bit nose heavy with the 25", Its not bad but you have to be careful.

The guys from the PNW Pacific North West all seem to run long bars and our resident Norwegian, SawTroll short bars.

That's true. We Americans do like to exaggerate a bit once in awhile and some do use the decompression. My six year old granddaughter does use the decompression on the 372 most of the time. :biggrinbounce2:

Getting very tempted by the Makita, resale won't be as easy as a Husky or a Stihl though:cry: In good ole blighty

If you can afford the bit extra go for the 7900. I've got the Dolmar and it will pull a full chisel non skip chain in softwoods no problem at all. Semi chisel skip on a 32" bar in dead hardwood no problem either. Same weight too as the 6400 and 7300. The 7900 has the best power to weight in its class, the 6400 one of the worst from memory.
I'd hate to have one with no decomp, you realise quite quickly when you haven't pressed the decomp - drop starting would be out of the question, thats for sure. Whoops, drop starting is dangerous...sorry :)
I can't see any reason why a Dolmar/Makita wouldn't last anywhere near as long as a Stihl or Husky either.

If you can afford the bit extra go for the 7900. I've got the Dolmar and it will pull a full chisel 32" 3/8" non skip chain in softwoods no problem at all. Semi chisel skip on a 32" bar in dead hardwood no problem either. I've even run a 36" hard nose on it with .404" and was very surprised! Same weight too as the 6400 and 7300. The 7900 has the best power to weight in its class, the 6400 one of the worst from memory.
I'd hate to have one with no decomp, you realise quite quickly when you haven't pressed the decomp - drop starting would be out of the question, thats for sure. Whoops, drop starting is dangerous...sorry :)
I can't see any reason why a Dolmar/Makita wouldn't last anywhere near as long as a Stihl or Husky either.

Back