Makita - rebranded Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh :help: - how fugly and cheap-looking can a chainsaw get.....:bang::bang:

Haha!:D

I actually LIKE the way the Dolmars and Makitas (w/ black Dolmar top covers) look. Looks hi-end and modern/functional in an appropriate teutonic way. The styling reminds me of a sport BMW motorcycle or current Porsche/Audi vehicle, whereas the old "block" styling of other saws is more "F150/Jeep CJ" and stuck in the styling trends of many years past.

Modern german styling is nice!:msp_thumbup:

I am not an old-school chainsaw guy, though.

This:

I've always thought a good buy would be a used Makita 6401 from Home Depot. I was curious, though. Is this saw IDENTICAL to a Dolmar PS-6400? I thought it was, but a Dolmar service shop owner tried to tell me that Dolmar made a "lesser quality" saw for Makita.

So I wrote the Dolmar factory in Hamburg, asking them in German, "Is your Dolmar PS-4000 exactly identical to the Makita 6401?" And Herr Wolfgang Kuhlmann, the Dolmar service manager , wrote me back saying in German, "Except for the color, the devices are exactly identical."

So now we know! Dolmar PS-6400 = Makita 6401. It irks me a bit that the Dolmar sales/service shop owner here acted so authoratatively, and flat out denied they were the same, but I guess I understand - he certainly had a vested interest in the matter - selling Dolmar saws.

An amusing side note - I ALMOST asked Herr Kuhlmann if all Dolmar saws were manufactured exclusively in Germany, but I've learned that such a question is literally impossible to answer these days! Once upon a time, I wrote the Husqvarna factory in Sweden to ask what I thought was a simple question - is their Husky 445 made in Sweden? A nice lady wrote back and said that she realized it sounded like a simple question, but it was impossible to answer for sure due to the distributed nature of their manufacturing. She was even apolegetic for not being able to answer my question. I appreciate such honesty!

husky46cc

Yes, the newer Dolmars may be cracking saws, but they are not lookers. I've never have put much stock in aesthetics, but the whole bubble thing is completely lost on me. They are very "stylish" which, to me, doesn't really befit a chainsaw.

Still, I've a busted 6401 that I'll sure be excited to get to. :rock:

They are very "stylish" which, to me, doesn't really befit a chainsaw.

I can see a lot of folks in the intended market saying that. Many prefer an industrial/functional hummer look instead of a Porsche Cayenne look. But in a market where Stihl and Husky dominate, I can see where offering modern/different styling coupled with best-in-class performance (for a few Dolmar models, at least) is a good way to differentiate the product and make it stand-out in the consumer's eye as something different and perhaps better than a Stihl/Husky. It's interesting to note that Dolmar's 90cc saw has traditional "block" stying, though - perhaps because Dolmar knows the old school saw guy who is in the market for a saw like that usually prefers that type of styling.

The DCS-4610 is a Dolmar PS-45.

Makita - Product Details - DCS4610 46cc Petrol Chainsaw

attachment.php

boxed800x600.jpg

Oh :help: - how fugly and cheap-looking can a chainsaw get.....:bang::bang:

If it had a side/Lateral tensioner, it wouldn't look so fugly :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back